Debate for Best 4K Qled TV - SAY NO TO OLED.

Had a similar dilemma few months ago. The VA panels would be worth if they reduced the price in half. Horrible viewing angles destroys everything. Add to that blooming, flashlights, subtitle problems. Oleds have issues too like crushed black, abl, blue tint, 24fps stutter. Fald displays are neither here nor there. Their dimming zones and their algorithms aren't the perfect solution especially for the asking price. Samsung qleds are not at all worth the price. You'd probably be better off with TCL but horrible service in India. Couldn't even demo the TV properly. If you have a functioning plasma, hold on to it and get a good soundbar like jbl or Polk.

Had a similar dilemma few months ago. The VA panels would be worth if they reduced the price in half. Horrible viewing angles destroys everything. Add to that blooming, flashlights, subtitle problems. Oleds have issues too like crushed black, abl, blue tint, 24fps stutter. Fald displays are neither here nor there. Their dimming zones and their algorithms aren't the perfect solution especially for the asking price. Samsung qleds are not at all worth the price. You'd probably be better off with TCL but horrible service in India. Couldn't even demo the TV properly. If you have a functioning plasma, hold on to it and get a good soundbar like jbl or Polk.

Agreed! If you have a plasma, hold on to it, especially for that sweet motion. Although the C9 is smoother than the Metz OLED, even with all motion settings off, in some scenes the stutter is still ugly, and any motion interpolation, improved as it is, adds artifacts in some specific scenarios; namely, fast moving objects on a high contrast background. I expect more improvements next year, especially now with Philips also pushing processing prowess and challenging LG.

Of course, motion is an issue on LCD too, especially 60Hz panels which suffer from 3:2 pulldown judder. I have an iffalcon TV in parent's bedroom, and the motion on it is horrible. C9, even with worse stutter, offers an overall better motion experience.

I wonder why they launch IPS panels in India. Is this because Indian families are big and hence need wider viewing angles? :p
I have a 3 year old Philips 55 4 k TV which has IPS panel. But I am liking it more than my previous Sony LCD. Somehow I have always liked Philips picture processing and motion handling. Even whathifi heaped praise on their picture / pixel precise engine in last year's awards issue. As far as IPS is concerned, never noticed any drawbacks so far- again could be because of the specific Philips processing.

I have a 3 year old Philips 55 4 k TV which has IPS panel. But I am liking it more than my previous Sony LCD. Somehow I have always liked Philips picture processing and motion handling. Even whathifi heaped praise on their picture / pixel precise engine in last year's awards issue. As far as IPS is concerned, never noticed any drawbacks so far- again could be because of the specific Philips processing.

No processing can increase contrast. Only local dimming can help, but only to an extent. You can read the review of SM9000 by flatpanelshd and see the attached pics too.

Although, it's good that you have noticed them, because once you do, there's no going back. Also, with HDR, the low contrast beomes even more obvious, as with peak brightness, black levels also rise substantially.

No processing can increase contrast. Only local dimming can help, but only to an extent. You can read the review of SM9000 by flatpanelshd and see the attached pics too.

Although, it's good that you have noticed them, because once you do, there's no going back. Also, with HDR, the low contrast beomes even more obvious, as with peak brightness, black levels also rise substantially.
It could be but what I meant was that I don't feel anything missing. I keep backlight at 0-10 on a scale of 0-100 and contrast is also nominal since the Philips gets extremely bright. Hence I keep putting off buying a new TV.

It could be but what I meant was that I don't feel anything missing. I keep backlight at 0-10 on a scale of 0-100 and contrast is also nominal since the Philips gets extremely bright. Hence I keep putting off buying a new TV.

Do you watch in a dark room or a bright room?

I think people need to stop debating online and trust their eyes. Go and demo and vote with your wallet. I know I wouldn't be caught dead with a LG TV.

I think people need to stop debating online and trust their eyes. Go and demo and vote with your wallet. I know I wouldn't be caught dead with a LG TV.

Errr...store conditions aren't ideal for judging TVs at all. OLEDs stand out even more at home, especially at night and dim-medium rooms.

I think store conditions are fine, you make a relative call, not an absolute one. I don't like OLEDs after viewing many of them in stores and fiddling with the settings and comparing them to "normal" TVs. I do strongly believe people should trust their eyes (and ears).

I think store conditions are fine, you make a relative call, not an absolute one. I don't like OLEDs after viewing many of them in stores and fiddling with the settings and comparing them to "normal" TVs. I do strongly believe people should trust their eyes (and ears).

It is a widely acknowledged one. The lighting conditions in a showroom don't represent a big chunk of viewing conditions at home. People should trust their eyes and ears, but in a viewing condition similar to their own. This is precisely why some high-end stores allow people to watch in a dark room to have better idea of the TVs. Bright conditions mask a lot of blooming and contrast issues. Again, this is basic stuff. I'm surprised that I have to explain this is in dedicated TV forum. In a dark room, the blacks of even a good VA panel resemble dark grey of an OLED. You can't judge that in a brightly lit store.

Your trying to preach to me as if I don't know about that particular train of thought. I know well about "objectivists" and their quest for black levels and contrast ratios, black crush, banding,backlight bleed,dead pixels etc etc. I don't care, and nor should anyone if it looks good to them. I used to subscribe to all this when I was younger but I don't bother with it anymore. I am posting so that people can stop bothering with unnecessary technicalities and enjoy their movies and TV shows. It isn't about gear or tech specs as some online forums would have you believe, its about the experience. To that end I think people are best served by buying a TV that suits personal preference rather than talking about tech specs, listed or measured or going to rtings or some other equivalent website and using that as a guide to buy TVs.

I have debated this in my head too, and before committing, do due research on brightness fluctuations with subtitles on Samsung QLEDs. Big concern for me as my parents need subtitles. I do too with films in languages other than English and Hindi. Watch Vincent's review of Q70R. See how brightness fluctuates in Gravity. That's a killer for me.

Also, check Rtings burn-in tests. Those were done on 2017 sets. Red sub-pixel burns out the most. Since then, for two years straight, the red sub-pixel has been increase in size and is now twice the size easily. Also, aperture ratio of OLED pixels has gone up, without it being utilized to boost brightness. I expect 2019 sets to be much much better with regards to burn-in. If static elements aren't on screen for longer than 3-4 hours a day, burn-in won't happen for good 5-6 years. How? Calculate hours based on Rtings tests. You can easily double those with 2019 sets, if not more, and then check your usage.

I have bought a C9, and I have literally no fear of burn-in, because I have done the research and checked my usage. Don't give in to fear. Take a calculated decision. LG C9 will cost you close to Q70 only. Plus, LG itself is offering 3 year warranty this festive season.

Also , if u live with an OLED for a week, u can really see the grey tone behind all colors on LCDs. !!!!!! I saw the 8k QLED at samsung's demo store. Since i had a problem with my note 10 phone, while it was getting sorted out, I played a bit on the 8k display. No, samsung still has not given up on Neon greens and bluey bluey skies. I tried adjusting the tint to magenta a bit, to see if it fixes, it does a bit, still on the cost of making the image washed out. Samsungs QLED is no go for me anytime. To me the best LCDs are from Sonys top of the line. Even with local dimming, while blacks are good, on samsung, the colors have that LCDs filter of blue light if u compare it side by side with an OLED. I am not interested in the burn in debate. its your luck.

Your trying to preach to me as if I don't know about that particular train of thought. I know well about "objectivists" and their quest for black levels and contrast ratios, black crush, banding,backlight bleed,dead pixels etc etc. I don't care, and nor should anyone if it looks good to them. I used to subscribe to all this when I was younger but I don't bother with it anymore. I am posting so that people can stop bothering with unnecessary technicalities and enjoy their movies and TV shows. It isn't about gear or tech specs as some online forums would have you believe, its about the experience. To that end I think people are best served by buying a TV that suits personal preference rather than talking about tech specs, listed or measured or going to rtings or some other equivalent website and using that as a guide to buy TVs.

This is not about objectivism. Your keep touting personal preference by going to showroom, but I'm simply highlighting that in a showroom you can't judge that because viewing conditions at home are different! If you know what I'm saying, and still recommend people to do it...boggles my mind. Why are you even on forums if you don't want to do what all we do here? What should we talk about? What's the purpose of the forum? Lol

Also , if u live with an OLED for a week, u can really see the grey tone behind all colors on LCDs. !!!!!! I saw the 8k QLED at samsung's demo store. Since i had a problem with my note 10 phone, while it was getting sorted out, I played a bit on the 8k display. No, samsung still has not given up on Neon greens and bluey bluey skies. I tried adjusting the tint to magenta a bit, to see if it fixes, it does a bit, still on the cost of making the image washed out. Samsungs QLED is no go for me anytime. To me the best LCDs are from Sonys top of the line. Even with local dimming, while blacks are good, on samsung, the colors have that LCDs filter of blue light if u compare it side by side with an OLED. I am not interested in the burn in debate. its your luck.

Plus, Samsung really pushes and markets the benefits of OLEDs on their phones, yet on TVs, where the benefits matter more, they are throwing mud on it. Hypocrisy ki bhi seema honi chahiye ya nahi?

Q80R is available for 1.34lac on paytm mall and Q60R for 92000 and strangely Q70 for 1.46lac.well Q70 is for 1.14 on tata cliq.

I am putting prices for QLED here because we already have a price thread for OLED.I think those who wanna buy QLEDs can take these as reference n bargain.

Lg 65 SM9000 nano cell tv is 1.42 lac on paytm.This tv has all the flagship spec barring deep blacks.Its crazy how suddenly prices are reducing near diwali.

Plus, Samsung really pushes and markets the benefits of OLEDs on their phones, yet on TVs, where the benefits matter more, they are throwing mud on it. Hypocrisy ki bhi seema honi chahiye ya nahi?
I feel the problem with samsung is their idea about ideal colour. They want a bit of extra pop in everything. Samsung's best displays are their oldest on iPhones, because apple's calibration is very accurate. Samsung must be the most dirtiest when it comes to marketing strategies.

Thats because Samsung doent make OLED panel for tvs.Lg display does.currently everyone is buying OLED panels from LG. eventually all the big companies want to move to micro led.which will take another 4-5 years.meanwhile till transition companies are pushing different technologies . Samsung is pushing QLED.Tcl has just launched mini led tv in usa . Hisense is launching dual layer tv.

Thats because Samsung doent make OLED panel for tvs.Lg display does.currently everyone is buying OLED panels from LG. eventually all the big companies want to move to micro led.which will take another 4-5 years.meanwhile till transition companies are pushing different technologies . Samsung is pushing QLED.Tcl has just launched mini led tv in usa . Hisense is launching dual layer tv.

Microled is far in the future. Samsung itself is now getting into QD-OLED. That'll come before microled, and when microled does come, it's not like WOLED will be obsolete. It'll be a more refined tech at a cheaper price point. It'll replace LCDs. The point is that Samsung and QLED is all marketing. They are mostly junk, except the Q90, which costs more than C9.

Microled is far in the future. Samsung itself is now getting into QD-OLED. That'll come before microled, and when microled does come, it's not like WOLED will be obsolete. It'll be a more refined tech at a cheaper price point. It'll replace LCDs. The point is that Samsung and QLED is all marketing. They are mostly junk, except the Q90, which costs more than C9.
Q90R is stupidly expensive at 3.5 lac.we can get two flagship tvs one 55 inch and 65 inch (LG C9 or Sony X950G or Samsung own Q80R )in that price range.Panasonic GZ2000 which is suppose to be the best OLED tv this year is for 4300 pounds which is 3.75 lac

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back