Debate for Best 4K Qled TV - SAY NO TO OLED.

Not sure what is up with the thread title... I would definitely rearrange that to "Say no overpriced Samsung QLEDs. LG OLEDs is the way to go in 2019.

Having said that, here is a serious contender for LED tech. The new TCL 8 series and HDTVTest Review of TCL 8 Series 75"
Yeah it has some good reviews but i doubt it ll be launched in india anytime soon

Yeah it has some good reviews but i doubt it ll be launched in india anytime soon
Maybe never since TCL is bust competing at the lowest end of the spectrum in India and releasing one garbage TV after another here :(

Hopefully they change their strategy and man-up to compete with the big daddies like Samsung, Sony and LG in the premium TV category soon in India.

But no doubt, exciting times ahead for Videophiles :)

Maybe never since TCL is bust competing at the lowest end of the spectrum in India and releasing one garbage TV after another here :(

Hopefully they change their strategy and man-up to compete with the big daddies like Samsung, Sony and LG in the premium TV category soon in India.

But no doubt, exciting times ahead for Videophiles :)
another promising tech is dual layer tvs.The one made by Hisense has very good black levels.It has some crazy specs like 150000:1 contrast ratio and 1 million+ dimming zones.If they can sort out high power consumption issue with this tv then this can be a serious contender to OLEDs in 2020.At least in the demo it looks very promising.

another promising tech is dual layer tvs.The one made by Hisense has very good black levels.It has some crazy specs like 150000:1 contrast ratio and 1 million+ dimming zones.If they can sort out high power consumption issue with this tv then this can be a serious contender to OLEDs in 2020.At least in the demo it looks very promising.

Yeah i have seen this too. But once again its hisense and i doubt Vu will launch these models in India

Plus, Samsung really pushes and markets the benefits of OLEDs on their phones, yet on TVs, where the benefits matter more, they are throwing mud on it. Hypocrisy ki bhi seema honi chahiye ya nahi?
I have the Note 10 phone now, as I must say, I like the colors on my calibrated B7 more than the Natural mode. I think Samsungs OLEDs are not bad, as u can see the new iPhones are very very accurate. Samsung companies whole idea of accurate is wrong. So even if they are capable, they wont do it right.

LG Oled is good. Very good. But I took the plunge and went in for a Q80R instead. Why?

1. Insecurities about the OLED panel. My previous Samsung LED has run flawlessly for a decade and I expect my next TV to too.

2. The "blacks" are 80% (conservatively) of what the LG OLED panel offers. In day to day use, I don't find anything lacking.

3. Samsung has something called one connect. In my case it's a boon with just one transparent cable coming out of the TV. All other connections are neatly stacked away in a remotely placed box.

4. Robust build. This is a subjective one but something about Samsung's build quality reassured me as compared to LG's rather delicate looking panel. You could link this to point 1.

Overall, I'd have been happy with either. But there's a certain peace of mind that tipped the decision in Samsung's favour. And now that it's mounted at home, there's absolutely no inkling of any FOMO whatsoever.
Kind of similar experience!

Was looking at demo today in croma, C9 and Q80R both side by side... Didn't find any difference in DTH viewing, also Q80R too have good viewing angle. Both tvs are available at 1.28 excluding cashback. So kind of confused. 4K demo video was top class in C9. Burn in and lottery discussions in oled uniformity thread is confusing me more. But three years warranty offer and poor frame tv experience favoring towards C9.

Need to decide in few days!

Was looking at demo today in croma, C9 and Q80R both side by side... Didn't find any difference in DTH viewing, also Q80R too have good viewing angle. Both tvs are available at 1.28 excluding cashback. So kind of confused. 4K demo video was top class in C9. Burn in and lottery discussions in oled uniformity thread is confusing me more. But three years warranty offer and poor frame tv experience favoring towards C9.

What's your viewing environment and usage like at home? Forget showrooms. Hardly any homes are lit that brightly.

Major differences that you'll be able to spot in dark to moderately lit rooms is that black details are better in OLEDs, as Q series' local dimming crushes black to control blooming. Specular highlights, tiny areas, smaller than even 1%, they'll never pop in FALD sets like they do in OLED. Think of all the space movies. Even SDR will look amazing on OLED in such content, but QLED will dim down all those stars. I compared OLED to Sony X900F, and asked the guy to put on space scenes, and half of the stars weren't even visible on the FALD one.

Look at experinces of people who upgraded from DX902, which had amazing FALD and 512 zones, to OLED. Q80 is not even close to DX902. FALD as tech has downgraded instead of improving upon the best. OLED on the other hand has only improved.

I just got done watching third episode of Unbelievable, and what PQ! I have bad uniformity tbh, and I have spotted it only once as of now while watching in dark. I'm sure I'll spot it more in shows with darker grading, but I'll take that for now over the limitations of FALD and VA panels. Viewing angles are also top notch on OLEDs. FALD sets look bad off axis as blooming is exaggerated.

Again, many of these are things you can't judge in a showroom. Put on dark grey slides on OLED in the showroom. You won't be able to notice the deficiencies as much as you will in your room at night.

Think of all the space movies. Even SDR will look amazing on OLED in such content, but QLED will dim down all those stars. I compared OLED to Sony X900F, and asked the guy to put on space scenes, and half of the stars weren't even visible on the FALD one.
I had the opposite experience.When i checked demo of C8 and A8F and X900F.The sales guy Played some demo for showing sony processing power.In that more stars were visible on Sony tvs A8F and X900F than C8.

I dont know if the demo was tailor made for sony tvs or not.But both sony tvs were showing more details than C8.

I had the opposite experience.When i checked demo of C8 and A8F and X900F.The sales guy Played some demo for showing sony processing power.In that more stars were visible on Sony tvs A8F and X900F than C8.

I dont know if the demo was tailor made for sony tvs or not.But both sony tvs were showing more details than C8.

Dude, stars not showing up on FALD sets is a known issue, as it's just a limitation of the tech. Stars are tiny. Dimming zones much bigger than them. Contrast is only 4500:1 or so on X900F. So the algorithm has two options, to show bright stars but let the blacks rise, or take the blacks down, dimming the stars. X900F didn't even show half the stars. I'm not talking about Sony vs LG. Im talking about OLED vs FALD. Although, again, showrooms are a horribly place to judge, because the modes aren't calibrated or matched at all. If you experienced stars not being visible on LG, rest assured the set is being hampered by settings, maybe on purpose. I can't be sure how exactly, but I know that it defies common sense. Who knows what settings are on. As I explained though, FALD sets with low dimming zones just can't display small tiny areas at even half their peak brightness without horrible blooming. Check Rtings data for 1% peak brightness for Q80 vs C9. Now consider stars, they are tinier than 1%. A lot tinier. OLED can push each star to 700 nits or more. QLEDs will barely be able to take them to 250-300 nits before blacks become quite visibly gray in a dark too.

Dude, stars not showing up on FALD sets is a known issue, as it's just a limitation of the tech. Stars are tiny. Dimming zones much bigger than them. Contrast is only 4500:1 or so on X900F. So the algorithm has two options, to show bright stars but let the blacks rise, or take the blacks down, dimming the stars. X900F didn't even show half the stars. I'm not talking about Sony vs LG. Im talking about OLED vs FALD. Although, again, showrooms are a horribly place to judge, because the modes aren't calibrated or matched at all. If you experienced stars not being visible on LG, rest assured the set is being hampered by settings, maybe on purpose. I can't be sure how exactly, but I know that it defies common sense. Who knows what settings are on. As I explained though, FALD sets with low dimming zones just can't display small tiny areas at even half their peak brightness without horrible blooming. Check Rtings data for 1% peak brightness for Q80 vs C9. Now consider stars, they are tinier than 1%. A lot tinier. OLED can push each star to 700 nits or more. QLEDs will barely be able to take them to 250-300 nits before blacks become quite visibly gray in a dark too.
I am talking about specific one event which i have experienced.I have also mentioned that it might be possible that the demo is more suited for sony tv.as it was sony 4k demo.Also as i mentioned it was visible on both Sony tvs A8F which is an OLED TV was also showing more stars.Thats why i said Sony vs LG.

I am not saying FALD tv shows more stars or OLED shows more.I was only mentioning what i saw that day. Also I did not mention anything about QLED or Q80R.I dont know why came into discussion.Samsung is more aggressive in local dimming so it do crush blacks in space scene.Also in bright showroom with many lights you dont visible gray like a dark room.

check this video see the difference in stars on sony and samsung.

I am talking about specific one event which i have experienced.I have also mentioned that it might be possible that the demo is more suited for sony tv.as it was sony 4k demo.Also as i mentioned it was visible on both Sony tvs A8F which is an OLED TV was also showing more stars.Thats why i said Sony vs LG.

I am not saying FALD tv shows more stars or OLED shows more.I was only mentioning what i saw that day. Also I did not mention anything about QLED or Q80R.I dont know why came into discussion.Samsung is more aggressive in local dimming so it do crush blacks in space scene.Also in bright showroom with many lights you dont visible gray like a dark room.

check this video see the difference in stars on sony and samsung.

QLED is in discussion because...the thread is about QLED? I responded to someone debating between Q80 and C9, and I highlighted a common issue between the two techs, and you present and anecdote which seems to be comparing brands, and one in which the LG set seems to be hampered by settings. LG C series has bested Sony OLED sets in blind shootouts. It's the same panel. Any major differrnces you'll see in showrooms are because of settings. If you saw 10 stars on A8F but 5 on LG for example, settings are to be blamed. So no point getting into Sony vs LG here. The only point that your anecdote illustrates for me is that what you see in showrooms can't be trusted at all. Read trustworthy professional reviews. Search for common problems in both techs. That's the best way to judge IMO. Samsung aggressive dimming also leads to brightness changes when subtitles come, or in an extreme cases, Sandra Bullock tumbling in space in Gravity.

Another point, you can't compare Q80 available in India to Q80 in UK or US. Samsung has reduced dimming zones in some countries. No one in India is doing a zone count. You can't do a zone count in the showroom because it's so bright. So when I considering QLED over OLED, I assumed that I might get dimming performance in Q80 which is similar to Q70, and that's not good enough at all, especially when you can get B9 for a cheaper cost.

Btw, B9 is back as best 4k TV at Rtings. It's a good 20k cheaper than Q80, if not more. It's silly to go with QLED. Samsung knows this, and they are planting fear in buyers, but otherwise their overpriced shitty sets don't come even close to OLED. That's why they are investing a 11 billion dollars in QD-OLED development now, even though they will take many many years to catch up to LG's production capabilities. Why? An informed consumer must not get conned. OLED is far from perfect. So are FALD sets. Both have their issues. Overall, in PQ, OLED wins hands down in most cases.

A picture I had taken yesterday while watching Venom via Prime Video. This is not even HDR, but it looked so darn good! Only regret I have is not being able to fit a bigger size in the room.

Attachments

• IMG_20191018_193043.jpg
    IMG_20191018_193043.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 51
If oneplus tv is successful running item,why they are increasing discount.(more than 7k + exchange)

QLED is in discussion because...the thread is about QLED?
Well i dont wanna go back and fourth again and again on same issue.so this is my last message on this topic.all i said was that my experience was different to yours.Also thanks for reminding me about the thread as in title its says "SAY NO TO OLED".people want to discuss other options than OLEDs.But you have wrote many posts about how great OLED is which is not helping this thread.

I have nothing against OLEDs or LG.In Fact I might buy C9 for myself if budget permits.but that does not mean that i should tell everyone that you should buy only OLEDs.

It completely depend on the individual and the requirements.Its like saying Ferrari is the best car.It is when you want to do 0-100 under 4 seconds.But when you wanna go to airport with 5 people and luggage you can not use Ferrari.Same way if you dont want to think about burn in or panel lottery or you have a very bright room or you watch a lot of static content then LED tv is a better option.

You have put up lots of valuable info on this forum which i appreciate.But dont get so worked up when it comes to non OLED tvs. Cheers

Well i dont wanna go back and fourth again and again on same issue.so this is my last message on this topic.all i said was that my experience was different to yours.Also thanks for reminding me about the thread as in title its says "SAY NO TO OLED".people want to discuss other options than OLEDs.But you have wrote many posts about how great OLED is which is not helping this thread.

I have nothing against OLEDs or LG.In Fact I might buy C9 for myself if budget permits.but that does not mean that i should tell everyone that you should buy only OLEDs.

It completely depend on the individual and the requirements.Its like saying Ferrari is the best car.It is when you want to do 0-100 under 4 seconds.But when you wanna go to airport with 5 people and luggage you can not use Ferrari.Same way if you dont want to think about burn in or panel lottery or you have a very bright room or you watch a lot of static content then LED tv is a better option.

You have put up lots of valuable info on this forum which i appreciate.But dont get so worked up when it comes to non OLED tvs. Cheers

Thanks! I like discussing, so no point getting worked up. We aren't even at disagreement on many points. LolI

I would have ignored this thread had the title not said in all caps, SAY NO TO OLED. Considering that fear of burn-in is being actively pushed by Samsung, I find that that needs to be countered by good advice, which is something I mentioned earlier too in this thread. Why am I even bringing up OLEDs again? Because someone is actively considering OLED vs Q80.

Is a TV with low number of dimming zones worth the same cost as 8 million plus dimming zones? Not in my opinion. Burn-in can happen, but then so can failure of LEDs in dimming zones. It's rare, just burn-in is going to be for 2019 sets. Even if it does happen, you can take LG to task and get it replaced. There's a guy in avsforum who posted that LG is reading panels for upto 4 years for burn-in, even out of warranty. I'll post it later. Will have to dig it.

So overall, coming back to the conundrum; don't worry about burn-in as long as there aren't going to be the same static elements on screen for more than 2-3 hours everyday. If they are, turn on logo luminance to high. Otherwise low will work. Burn-in won't happen for a good 5-6 years. Samsung is overpricing their sets a lot in India, and they aren't worth it at all, especially as B9 can be had for 1.1 lacs.

Which Croma was this quote from if you wouldn't mind?

Which Croma was this quote from if you wouldn't mind?
Q80R price is croma in Phoenix mall
C9 price is in Reliance digital in Phoenix mall.

Today again I was going through the demo in girias and unilet in marthahalli. Unilet experience is so far better, sales person there was more receptive. 125K is the final price for C9 and 130K for Q80R.

Q80R price is croma in Phoenix mall
C9 price is in Reliance digital in Phoenix mall.

Today again I was going through the demo in girias and unilet in marthahalli. Unilet experience is so far better, sales person there was more receptive. 125K is the final price for C9 and 130K for Q80R.
So 1.25 was excluding cashback as well?. Not bad if it is 117.5k (assuming 7.5k cashback). I tried Unilet at 1.4 and 1.37 at croma(both kalyan nagar) prior to the cashback. I probably suck at negotiating. :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back