Decision time - Denon 1909 with Wharfedale 10 series or Monitor Audio

shyamal

Hi All
Have finally purchased Denon 1909 and some online reserach , visits to dealers and inputs from members of this forum finally managed to bring down the shortlist of 5.1 speakers to the following two options:
Wharfedale: 10.5, 10CS, 9DFS and MX (surrounds from 9 series and rest from 10 series - subwoofer & surrounds of 10 series expected to be launched by next month)
or
Monitor Audio: RS6, RSLCR (floorstander and center from silver series) , BRFX and BRW10 (subwoofer and surrounds from bronze series)

Had the following questions;
1) Is Denon 1909 a good pairing with the above combinations (in terms of power, brightess/warmness etc)
2) Is it ok to mix and match (across series i.e. silver with bronze in MA and 10 with 9 in Wharfedale)
3) Any other comments on suitability of the above 2 options

Thanks for any inputs
Cheers

Hi All
Have finally purchased Denon 1909 and some online reserach , visits to dealers and inputs from members of this forum finally managed to bring down the shortlist of 5.1 speakers to the following two options:
Wharfedale: 10.5, 10CS, 9DFS and MX (surrounds from 9 series and rest from 10 series - subwoofer & surrounds of 10 series expected to be launched by next month)
or
Monitor Audio: RS6, RSLCR (floorstander and center from silver series) , BRFX and BRW10 (subwoofer and surrounds from bronze series)

1) Is Denon 1909 a good pairing with the above combinations (in terms of power, brightess/warmness etc)
2) Is it ok to mix and match (across series i.e. silver with bronze in MA and 10 with 9 in Wharfedale)

Thanks for any inputs
Cheers

Denon and Wharfedale combination might be very smooth. I don't think it will suit for movies. But i am seeing reviews that wharfedale 10 series are little bright compared to 9 series. Hence audition this combination and decide.

Normally it is advisable to have front and center speakers from the same vendor and probably the same series too, especialy for timbre matching.

Rear surrounds can be from other vendors. You can mix and match like this no issues.

What is you budget for receiver and speakers. will you listen to music and watch movies more?

Thanks,
Senthil.

For a complete surround experience matched speakers from the same vendor and same product line are always preferred across L-C-R and L surround and R surround channels.The seamless sound staging and panning achieved goes to a different level with timbre matched speakers are used in a calibrated surround system.

Laksh

Hi All
or

Thanks for any inputs
Cheers

i havent heard the wharfedale 10 series but the monitor audio silver series is a really good speaker. as for mixing and matching, i dont think the sub will be an issue. the rears maybe. go to the dealer and listen to it. what you could also do is but bookshelves for the fronts (since you are buying a sub) and with the money you save you can go for the silver range for the entire set up

Thanks guys for your inputs. Very helpful.

Prakasse- when you say denon+wh9 may be smooth and not good for movies- do you mean that it is not bright/sharp enough for movies and wh10 which is definitely brighter/sharper(this is what I too though during audition) may be more appropriate for movies?

To answer your questions- budget was 1L for speakers but found the RS6 very good esp with music (high clarity and wide range even if heard without a sw and center- though sometimes maybe a little too sharp if hears standalone w/o a s/w). That's why I was considering whether to increase my budget to about 1.5-1.6 lacs. With the revised budget I can at best go for a silver bronze combo but not the entire silver set-up....
Movies:Music will be 50:50 or maybe 60:40

Afj- somehow I am more keen on f/s rather than bookshelf.

Overall I thought MA RS6 sound good/clear/brighter and also look better compared to wharfedale.
But the price diff is too much - its is almost double of wharfedale price wise - so not sure if the price difference is justified by quality of sound

Also, is denon1909 adequately powered to drive the MA set up above? And is Denon+MA a good combination ?
Lastly, what is the approprite discount to list price (I am getting around 7% for MA and 10% for wharfedale-not negotaited yet though)

Thanks
shyamal

If I were you, I would go with a pair of RS6, pair of RSFX and 1 RS LCR centre speaker for the time being. Save up for sometime and get the same league RSW12 sub in the next 6 months or so.

If you had gone for a higher model of Denon with pre-outs, it would have been easy to integrate your hifi also into the same setup - should you ever decide to go that route - utilizing the excellent RS6 for music as well.

Cheers.

Other than the price factor, the other question I have is, if I were to go for the entire silver package i.e RS6 (120W), RSLCR (120W), RSFX (100W) and the silver sub (which I think is 500W unlike the bronze s/w which is 150 W), will Denon 1909 be sufficiently powered to drive the entire silver 5.1 set-up?

Would appreciate it if anyone can answer this key technical question.
Thanks

One thing that I am unable figure out is why is the silver subwoofer 500W while the bronze s/w is only 150W (inspite of the fact that BR5 and RS6 have similarl power ratings ~120W)...

if planning for 10 series the co. has not yet launched its rear yet..!!

havent gone thru ur complete thread but..
if u a movie lover.. try yamaha 663 or 863..
663 is low budget and fine..
denon is considered premium compared to yamaha.. but..
diff. models diff. compatability.. try out..

Hi All
or

Thanks for any inputs
Cheers

Hi,

I'm using Denon avr 1909 with Wharfedale Atlantic speakers for the fronts and onkyo speakers for therest & sub-woofer.. It sounds well to me.

I'd say its all about a personal choice, simply purchase what makes you feel comfortable when you hear the movie/music.

Thanks,

Nitin.

...will Denon 1909 be sufficiently powered to drive the entire silver 5.1 set-up?

Yes, the RS6 has 91db sensitivity. This can easily be driven by the Denon for reasonably loud HT requirements.

At the risk of increasing your confusion, try to audition the Deli Ikon 6 package as well.

The packages you are considering needs ample space to breath to show its true potential. So do have an audition, preferably at home and see if you find the combo suits your needs. I'm sure your dealer wouldn't mind if he finds you genuine enough.

Cheers.

if planning for 10 series the co. has not yet launched its rear yet..!!

havent gone thru ur complete thread but..
if u a movie lover.. try yamaha 663 or 863..
663 is low budget and fine..
denon is considered premium compared to yamaha.. but..
diff. models diff. compatability.. try out..

I have already purchased Denon 1909 - believe its good if one is interested in movies as well as music (my usage is 60:40) - so thats a given. hv to build my speakers around that

Hi,
my vote goes for MA & Dali....you can audition them to see which suits your listening taste better.......you can also try the Mezzo series from MS......thought they were quite good when i last heard them........also MS has launched its new Aviano series - cheaper than the Mezzos......you can give them a try once.

As for the Wharfedale 10 series, i hated them when i auditioned the 10.1......thought they were too bright (atleast for my taste)......heard them with CA540v2 and Marantz PM5003 amps....cdp was CA540 for both the amps.

Other than the price factor, the other question I have is, if I were to go for the entire silver package i.e RS6 (120W), RSLCR (120W), RSFX (100W) and the silver sub (which I think is 500W unlike the bronze s/w which is 150 W), will Denon 1909 be sufficiently powered to drive the entire silver 5.1 set-up?

Would appreciate it if anyone can answer this key technical question.
Thanks

the sub is an active sub i.e. it comes inbuilt with its own amp and will not be powered by the denon. the denon will easily power the ma's. they're very easy to power.

i second unleash me - you can buy the sub later. perhaps you may not even feel the need for the sub if youre going for floorstanders. what is the size of your room

Hi,
my vote goes for MA & Dali....you can audition them to see which suits your listening taste better.......you can also try the Mezzo series from MS......thought they were quite good when i last heard them........also MS has launched its new Aviano series - cheaper than the Mezzos......you can give them a try once.

As for the Wharfedale 10 series, i hated them when i auditioned the 10.1......thought they were too bright (atleast for my taste)......heard them with CA540v2 and Marantz PM5003 amps....cdp was CA540 for both the amps.

thanks. any odea where i can audition MS and Dali (is it boomrang?) in Mumbai...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back