Definitive technology subwoofers--supercube reference or the trinity

subhash

hi, is anyone using the def tech trinity or the def tech supercube reference subwoofer
was in the process of getting the deftech supercube reference (new) to replace my velodyne CHT12R but @ the same time came across a slightly used deftech trinity for a marginal price difference
when i chkd the reviews the trinity is of a much higher version than the supercube, so its tough to decide to go for the reference(new) or trinity(used) ??

as there is no place to audition these , i wud like to know if anybody is using any of these subs and wud also like a feedback on thier performance based on music and movies

hi subhash,

this is from the definitive technology website -

"Each SuperCube Trinity goes lower and has more dynamic impact and output capability than two SuperCube Reference subwoofers combined".

that apart, i have listened to both (not as part of home-theatre, but as 2.1), and did not find much difference between the two. (but the music i listened to was not too demanding - and i have not personally listened to either over an extended time)

but if you getting either of them at a singular price point, i suppose trinity will be the better buy, especially if you have a home-theatre.

thanks ashish ,but what was worrying me is the user claims to have used it for a year in stereo mode , he doesnt have a HT set up

but if u think of it i will be getting the trinity for the price of a new supercube reference

going by the specs of it , man it weighs almost 90kgs (185lbs), 2 active drivers n 4 passive radiators ,am sure its going to get me into trouble with my people as well as the neighbours

@ a claimed power of 2000 wats rms in class D , wud it blend with my present set up ,hope the bass doesnt become too overpowering

hope to get the trinity sub by week end

thanks ashish ,but what was worrying me is the user claims to have used it for a year in stereo mode , he doesnt have a HT set up

but if u think of it i will be getting the trinity for the price of a new supercube reference

going by the specs of it , man it weighs almost 90kgs (185lbs), 2 active drivers n 4 passive radiators ,am sure its going to get me into trouble with my people as well as the neighbours

@ a claimed power of 2000 wats rms in class D , wud it blend with my present set up ,hope the bass doesnt become too overpowering

Good Luck. My Man

ashish wud you think it will blend with my present set up ,rather than the bass overpowering the entire system???

Subhash!!

For HT it is advised to go for two SIMILAR subs- one in the front and one at the rear. This helps to get uniform and clean bass- Not Boomy.

I would say go for two supercubes. If you cannot afford two reference then maybe you can buy one reference and one supercube-1. Or maybe two supercube-II's.

Also, you have too many absorbtion panels in the room and it takes more power to fill the room. Two subs would be better than one. Search the web, there are lot sites on sub calibrations.

Cheers!!

ashish wud you think it will blend with my present set up ,rather than the bass overpowering the entire system???

It won't overpower your setup unless and until you don't set it up well with the help of a sound pressure meter. A good subwoofer like the one in discussion would never overpower any presentation.

Hi Doc,

I am of the opinion that the subwoofer you have planned to procure will enhance the overall experience of your HT set-up and bottom end extension will be too good hence pl. proceed further. Probably you may have to increase the db gain to the rear speakers.

Regards

hi, is anyone using the def tech trinity or the def tech supercube reference subwoofer
was in the process of getting the deftech supercube reference (new) to replace my velodyne CHT12R but @ the same time came across a slightly used deftech trinity for a marginal price difference
when i chkd the reviews the trinity is of a much higher version than the supercube, so its tough to decide to go for the reference(new) or trinity(used) ??

as there is no place to audition these , i wud like to know if anybody is using any of these subs and wud also like a feedback on thier performance based on music and movies

Can you tell us the price offered for supercube and trinity? I am also looking for one.

If I remember correctly the Def Tech Trinity(Flagship):licklips: was developed with only one goal in mind-to reproduce the lowest octave frequency of a pipe organ in Newyorks Trinity Church.Somewhere I read that it was so powerful that some ceiling tiles fell off during calibration.:eek: You'll probably never need to upgrade your subwoofer ever."This is It":D Just go ahead & bring it home.
I seriously envy you man:pjust kiddin.

Cut from Manufacturers Note:Capable of prodigious output in excess of 128 db at 20 Hz and 116 db at 16 Hz in a normal room.:eek:hyeah:
"high-definition bass performance extending effortlessly to 10 Hz".
Manu bhaiyya are you listening.;)

All the best and please post your feedback along with pics if possible.
Regards,
Samuel

Can you tell us the price offered for supercube and trinity? I am also looking for one.

the supercube reference (new) is priced @ abt 1.07 in pune / mumbai , was offered for 97k hear in bangalore from a dealer ( was not supposed to reveal this price )

i think the new trinity is priced @ about 3000 USD but here its priced @ about 2.5 (beyond my reach::mad:)

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the Def Tech Trinity(Flagship):licklips: was developed with only one goal in mind-to reproduce the lowest octave frequency of a pipe organ in Newyorks Trinity Church.Somewhere I read that it was so powerful that some ceiling tiles fell off during calibration.:eek: You'll probably never need to upgrade your subwoofer ever."This is It":D Just go ahead & bring it home.
I seriously envy you man:pjust kiddin.

Cut from Manufacturers Note:Capable of prodigious output in excess of 128 db at 20 Hz and 116 db at 16 Hz in a normal room.:eek:hyeah:
"high-definition bass performance extending effortlessly to 10 Hz".
Manu bhaiyya are you listening.;)

All the best and please post your feedback along with pics if possible.
Regards,
Samuel

sure will post pic by nxt week

finally its the trinity

was supposed to get the trinity last sunday, but got delayed
today jst recieved a call that tommorow morning (wed)it will be delivered to my place
but the thing is am out of town till friday, cant wait to get back home, this wait is killing!!!!!!:mad: patience ,patience,MAN

wondering how to carry this ( 90kgs) to my second floor room??

Last edited:
was really shocked to see the size of the def tech trinity with box packing

which arrived @ my place a few days back when i was out of town,

its really massive and impossible to move it around single handed or even by 2
people!! ( not exagerating)

another thing i noticed was on the packing it says 120v

too drained out today to do any further investigations will chk out properly tommorow

but the with box packing it is a massive one (the size of a small fridge / large washing machine )

even after i take it up through 2 narrow stairways to the 2nd floor ,its impossible to move this sub to chk different positions, and i also think its going to be too large for my room

Wow, ...................... but when you wrote that its 120V then I guess you will have to invest in a good convertor now for that beast and I mean a really good convertor which could really set you back by another 3-5K. Waiting for the actual pics along with the packing as well as your reviews of the same.

Subhash - congrats and have a blast.

I think your sub is on list of must visits now when I am in Blre.

BTW, consult an architect and see if your building foundation/walls need any reinforcement. :lol:

Why are you worried if used in a 2.1 setup? In fact the current owner may not even have stressed it one bit.

Before it hits your neighbours, its going to rattle your foundation and fixtures. so they beware of you as you may bring the house down ;)
Irrespective, a very powerful subwoofer will only make you feel the signal below 20Hz and the trinity is very capable of doing it. BUT you have to know how to set one up to get that level of experience. Read around teh forum for how to do this.

The metric "watts rms" is a marketing gimmick and is meaningless. So get back to reading on setting up a sub.

Congrats buddy!!. Set it up soon and I'll drop in this weekend for a bone-rattling session:clapping:.

Wow, ...................... but when you wrote that its 120V then I guess you will have to invest in a good convertor now for that beast and I mean a really good convertor which could really set you back by another 3-5K. Waiting for the actual pics along with the packing as well as your reviews of the same.

Ashish, since the subwoofer has an amp (plate amp) built into it, is it recommended that Subhash invests in a good isolation transformer based step-down convertor based on wattage consumed by the sub?

For my Sony AVR (120V), I was using a normal transformer and recently I got an isolation transformer (500VA) made and I must say there is a noticeable difference in clarity. This transformer is also very silent and also there is no hum that usually exists in poorly made convertors.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back