Denafrips and Kinki Studio

Fiftyfifty

After great deliberation and numerous auditions, decided to check out two lesser known products (without audition) - the Denafrips Terminator Dac and the Kinki Studio EX-M1 integrated, proudly made in China. I was inspired by Srajan's (of 6moons) reviews of these products and encouraged by some senior HFV members, thanks to them.

The equipment has been in use for over a month now and, I believe, sufficiently burned in. I do like the sound a lot. I wouldn't want to use words to describe sound, because words like flat response, lush, sweet, etc., can mean different things to different people. I just want to say that the stand out feature of the combination is the pinpoint accuracy of imaging and separation of instruments/players, without sounding too analytical. I read in one review that you can walk up and shake hands with individual musicians. That's a very apt description indeed. When compared to my Cary gear, I must say that the Cary had a warmer tonality and fuller sound, while the new gear is more detailed and resolving, yet laid back and never harsh, what Srajan describes as the Swiss sound. That's enough talk. I'm writing this post just to say that if any of you care for a listen, I'll be more than happy to share a beer with you at my place in Pune.

Cheers!

Kinki 3.jpgDenafrips.jpgKinki 2.jpg

Congrats fiftyfifty. Now to complete the trio of Blue Moon awards, you need to get the Nenuphar speaker :)

Nenuphar, if I could find a source and work out the shipping / customs! Seriously, I was thinking of swapping the Spendor sp 100 for the sp 200s. What do you think?

Thanks

I am not familiar with Spendor speakers. For Nenuphar send me a pm. I was contemplating but then decided to stick to my Tekton.

I had the pleasure of this system two weeks ago and planning to go again this week, as burn in has happened more. Exactly described by Kishore-pinpoint accuracy of imaging and separation of instruments/players without sounding analytical

@Fiftyfifty. , Wow, The setup looks beautiful and am sure sounds as good as well.
Regarding the Nenuphar, considering its sensitivity , will your amp be a good match ?

@Fiftyfifty. , Wow, The setup looks beautiful and am sure sounds as good as well.
Regarding the Nenuphar, considering its sensitivity , will your amp be a good match ?

You are right @arj , it is not likely to be a good match. The nenuphars have too many variables. For now, Id rather sit back and enjoy the music on my existing gear

Must say the Spendor 200 seem like Awesome speakers if they have managed to retain the tonality of the SP100.

Hello Fiftyf-fifty,

To quote Steppenwolf I want to get the motor running and head out to Pune. Just to hear your set up. Nice! You went for the full Monty!

Separately, the old Spendor S100 was my first foray into hifi.*

It is superb in tonality and full sound. Not exciting in your face presentation. However, it needs a biggish room or probably room treatment as otherwise the bass (as is the case with any large speaker presumably) gets overwhelming. Also really large and heavy and so can’t move around.

But what midrange!! Baap re! :)

* there is a funny story there. I bought the S3/5 after listening to it along with my fiancée (now missus). She then left LA to come back to India , and I was so broken-hearted that by the time she reached London for a stopover I had flipped my speaker with the dealer to S100. Grief relief ;)

Hey Vivek!

Hello Fiftyf-fifty,

To quote Steppenwolf I want to get the motor running and head out to Pune. Just to hear your set up. Nice! You went for the full Monty!

Where have you been hiding with the Grahams? Any detailed review coming up? It will be a pleasure to have you over. Maybe I've fired all my guns at once, but not exploding into space yet!

Oh I didn't know about your foray into Spendors: I too need to stop by at your place for a listen. Have heard good things about your setup from other FMs. From Spendors to Harbeths to Grahams must be an interesting journey.

You are right about the bass. Initially, the speakers sounded a bit thinned out. I'm not in favor of thumping bass, but my complaint with most systems that I have used has been their inability to bring out the fullness of the loud and low parts of a symphony... that's when I feel the need for weightier bass. I then realized how sensitive the speakers were to placement and, strangely, the bass response improves as they are moved further into the room. ( It is generally the other way round - move speakers closer to the front wall for more bass). The speakers plus stands are kickass heavy so it's not easy to move them back and forth. But it's a good workout for my ageing muscles ;)

Look forward to your visit. To quote Steppenwolf again, go darlin' make it happen!

Likewise if you make a Mumbai trip, will be a pleasure to listen to music with you - and you should try come for the NCAP jazz fest!

Don't move out of the Spendor in a hurry. Let things settle with the new rig, and if you are enjoying the music, take a hifi sabbatical!

After great deliberation and numerous auditions, decided to check out two lesser known products (without audition) - the Denafrips Terminator Dac and the Kinki Studio EX-M1 integrated, proudly made in China. I was inspired by Srajan's (of 6moons) reviews of these products and encouraged by some senior HFV members, thanks to them.

The equipment has been in use for over a month now and, I believe, sufficiently burned in. I do like the sound a lot. I wouldn't want to use words to describe sound, because words like flat response, lush, sweet, etc., can mean different things to different people. I just want to say that the stand out feature of the combination is the pinpoint accuracy of imaging and separation of instruments/players, without sounding too analytical. I read in one review that you can walk up and shake hands with individual musicians. That's a very apt description indeed. When compared to my Cary gear, I must say that the Cary had a warmer tonality and fuller sound, while the new gear is more detailed and resolving, yet laid back and never harsh, what Srajan describes as the Swiss sound. That's enough talk. I'm writing this post just to say that if any of you care for a listen, I'll be more than happy to share a beer with you at my place in Pune.

Cheers!

View attachment 31343View attachment 31344View attachment 31345
Hi. I have narrowed down my choices to either the Terminator/Venus or the La Scala Optologic. Wanted to know from you what was the Customs/GST you paid when you imported the Terminator. Many thanks. Best. Arijit

Nice little review of Terminator. This one is in my shortlist along with Metrum, Holo Audio etc.

Are you using any preamp with it?

I would be interested in knowing customs and taxation issues if any.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back