Denafrips - any experience?

Can someone post their experience with the Venus or Pontus models from Denfrips ? Ideally comparing it to some other dacs they have owned in the past. Youtube reviewers seem to be gushing over them.

Can someone post their experience with the Venus or Pontus models from Denfrips ? Ideally comparing it to some other dacs they have owned in the past. Youtube reviewers seem to be gushing over them.
Not heard Venus but I have upgraded from Gungnir to Terminator. For my Altec speaker which has a detailed sound,I prefer the warm and lush Gungnir. My other system which is on the warmer side sounds good with Terminator.
I think it all depends on the system we use. Denafrips are more detailed then the schiit.

Not heard Venus but I have upgraded from Gungnir to Terminator. For my Altec speaker which has a detailed sound,I prefer the warm and lush Gungnir. My other system which is on the warmer side sounds good with Terminator.
I think it all depends on the system we use. Denafrips are more detailed then the schiit.

Thank you for the valuable input. The whole purpose of an R2R dac is to stay as close to analogue sound as possible while playing digital. From this context, would you be able to comment on your experience?

In your second system, while comparing with the lenco, which dac sounds closer to that experience ?

I run a Terminator with Chord MScaler.

The good news: this is a fantastic combination, especially when it serves as the source in a well-assembled sound chain. The MScaler offers excellent upsampling while the DAC unfolds music devoid of any "digital" treatment, and not to mention, at a superb price point. I've used a Chord Qutest and Cary Audio DAC, but this combination functions on an altogether different plane. I highly recommend the Terminator (and from what I've heard, the other DACs in their line are all top performers). Disclaimer: I bought a demo piece which had been checked by Vinshine Audio (Denafrips' sole dealer) in Singapore. They also replaced the DSP board with the latest version, free of cost.

The bad news: I paid for the DAC in July and received it in November. This was largely due to the fact that air traffic from Singapore was banned, and the unit had to be sent by sea. Sugumar, who represents Vinshine in India, is a well-meaning guy, but was hard pressed to provide me accurate updates about the shipment's progress. The wait, and not knowing, needless to say, was very frustrating. The unit was stuck in a Chennai customs department warehouse for over a month and no one was sure when the consignment would be released. To his credit, Sugumar shipped me a spare DAC while I waited for the Terminator to arrive.

My suggestions if you're buying any Denafrips device from Sugumar:
1. Make sure it's coming by air (if not, be prepared for a long wait)
2. Make sure you are able to track it
3. Make sure you talk to Alvin Chee at Vinshine about the unit you're about to buy (he only responds on WhatsApp, but is very prompt and helpful)
4. Make sure you ask for pictures of the unit you're buying (if it's a demo piece)
5. Be very clear about getting an invoice (I didn't get one, but the unit is covered by warranty)
6. Clarify what sort of after-sale (technical) support you're likely to get from Sugumar - it's minimal, from my experience

Hope this helps

n your second system, while comparing with the lenco, which dac sounds closer to that experience ?
None of these Dac's come closer to a Turntable. But the good thing is there is no Digital glare either from the schiit or Denafrips ( both are fantastic machines ) . I thoroughly enjoy the CDs and streaming through the Terminator. The only issue like any other R2R is, the Terminator sounds best only after 2 hours of warm-up.
Cheers.

In that case, look forward to hearing your impressions once you buy a Gaia
I am going a different route now. Buying a DDC would have led to the addition of one more box in the setup especially in the source chain. This is exactly what I hate.

I wrote an email to Vinshine and Alvin was very prompt and helpful. I told him i'm concerned with shipping and customs so a local dealer will help. He pointed me to Sugumar, sent him a couple of emails, yet to get a revert. I'm looking for the Ares II, will update when I hear back from him, or find someone selling it in other forums.

I wrote an email to Vinshine and Alvin was very prompt and helpful. I told him i'm concerned with shipping and customs so a local dealer will help. He pointed me to Sugumar, sent him a couple of emails, yet to get a revert. I'm looking for the Ares II, will update when I hear back from him, or find someone selling it in other forums.
For quick response contact with his What's up number.

Anyone who is interested to lessen the glare in digital playback and sound it closer to analog thing, no matter you use or ddc or not, do make sure to use good power cables. They matter alot for all digital equipment. Use your best power cables on sources and dacs.

Anyone who is interested to lessen the glare in digital playback and sound it closer to analog thing, no matter you use or ddc or not, do make sure to use good power cables. They matter alot for all digital equipment. Use your best power cables on sources and dacs.
+1

and a power conditioner too. Clean power makes a great positive improvement

Any suggestion on power cable for DAC. Currently I am using power cable that came with Denafrips ARES II.
My budget for power cable is 5k.

Any suggestion on power cable for DAC. Currently I am using power cable that came with Denafrips ARES II.
My budget for power cable is 5k.
Mr.Murthy’s ( Tools and Trade, Bangalore) power cable has lot of recommendations from our members.

FWIW let me share my impression of the latest version of the power cable that Mr. Murthy is currently making. I properly tried that cable before I bought it. Before getting into the details of how that cables sounds, let me put it out there that as per me, this power cable is sonically much better than the power cables Mr. Murthy was making say 3-5 years ago. In those days, he had purpose built cables, so a different cable for your sources, preamps and power amps. However, now he has just one power cable that works with everything. I personally prefer this simpler product-line thought process.
I have been pairing the cables with sources, preamps and power amps - that too with both my tube based as well as complete solid state setups. I have tried those with analog gear as well as digital. The cables do show their characteristics very evidently in both setups. In fact last week, I have even experimented with using these power cords on my Rythmik F12G subwooders and guess what, it changes the overall tonality even when just used with the subs. For those who think I am imagining things, are most welcome to come and listen to the setup. I will be glad to demonstrate how the sound changes. Also, happy to share two recordings - one with my existing power cables and other with Mr. Murthy's used only with subwoofers.
IMO, this power cable has a very open, defined, crisp and airy sound with an expansive sound stage. It presents details more evidently than some of the other power cords I currently have and/or experimented with in recent times. The bass is well controlled and articulate. It is tighter and slightly less bloated (perhaps to the gauge of the wire being used).

I specially took to this cable when I first used it with my solid state setup. There I used to power my dac, preamp and the power amp and it immediately brought me closer to the details. I was in a room which is too small for my MA PL200 speakers and I needed something which controls the bass in a much better way. To my fortune, using Mr. Murthy's cables as well as the Belden 8471/8477 speaker cables, got a grip on the bass. The soundstage became wider and it overall felt much more rhythmic. I was sold on those cables immediately.

Then after a few days, since I cant stay put with my setups, I decided to try the cables with my tube setup and first I powered my tube Monoblock power amps with these power cords, i got the same impression but this time due to the overall system balance, the result was not to my liking where the additional crispness or leanness did not sound euphonic to me. I removed those cables and just powered my Monarchy AC-Regenerator with it. That regen in turn drives my DAC and CDP. I was so happy with that change. It opened up the sound. Imagine, just that one cable swap and I was finding the end result so much more resolved.

Now after such a long rant, what I am trying to get to is, that power cords are perhaps tools which shape the tonality of any system. It is very similar to someone experimenting with ICs or speaker cables and getting different results. If the system shows differences, everything matters. The IEC plugs as well as the sockets should matter as much as the power cables itself. However, no one truth prevails. Mileages vary. There are no "best" cables. One needs to understand what is the end result (tonal balance) that they are seeking and then try out different products and apply what works best for their use case. With my limited understanding, I can assume that if these cables are used by someone who is already getting abundant highs or is perhaps wanting to tone down a slight edginess in their systems or is seeking lushness to an already agile sounding system, they may not like this cable. On the other hand folks using NOS dacs or tube dacs, could end up liking it. In my house between two setups, the mileages vary so dramatically. The other cables that I use with my tube preamps and power amps are non-branded cables sourced from Singapore and those have a thicker tone. It suits most use cases and I am happy to mix and match stuff.

I will refrain from hyperboles such as Mr. Murthy's cables are giant killers or the best cables out there, blah blah. I definitely feel these are very good cables which offer great price to performance ratio. In fact they do punch above their weight. There will be 'better' cables that I will get to try in the future and will be happy to upgrade. But for now, these have given me a glimpse into the art of possible when it comes to power cables. If one can be smart about picking this cable for the right applications, they will be happy campers.

Hope you folks find this somewhat useful.

I think it all depends on the system we use. Denafrips are more detailed then the schiit
Iv been wondering about that same aspect too.. I have 3 pairs - elac b5 (warm detailed), PSB P5 (warm smooth) and PSB x2t (smooth and detailed). My experience out of the 3 with the mimby is best on Elacs. The mimby's heft/body does well on those whereas it sounds a bit much on the PSB.

Wondering if the Denafrips ARES would be better on those compared to a Schiit Gumby what would be your best guess??

My experience with Ares is just for a week .Nice Dac but in my system Gumby sounded better. Few of my friends use Ares and are very happy with it. The Pontus should be better then Gumby and almost at the same price point.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back