Denon 1909/ Marantz 4003 or Cambridge 540R V3

YourBoss

Greetings:
Am in the process of changing my 8 year old Sony Home theater and looking for an amp to match with either the jamo A407 or Definitive Pro-cinema 800.
Checked out the Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz and Cambridge range.
After auditioning am rather confused about what to get.
Had zeroed in on the Denon 1909 and Marantz 4003. but was then recommended the Cambridge 540.

My requirements are 70% music, 30% movies (may add towers later for music)
Will be connecting my DVD player, PS3 and possibly a media server to the setup. Would really be happy to get some help......
the one difference between the Denon and Marantz was True HD...does that really matter?
Thanks a ton

Greetings:
Am in the process of changing my 8 year old Sony Home theater and looking for an amp to match with either the jamo A407 or Definitive Pro-cinema 800.
Had zeroed in on the Denon 1909 and Marantz 4003. but was then recommended the Cambridge 540.

Will be connecting my DVD player, PS3 and possibly a media server to the setup. Would really be happy to get some help......
the one difference between the Denon and Marantz was True HD...does that really matter?
Thanks a ton

I have a Denon 2308 and I am very very happy with it. Marantz seems to not excel in Movies like Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Pio does. But musically it is considered to be slightly better than Denon [Experts please do chip in]. Now for Cambridge Audio, which seems to be better in musicality (and of course equal in movies)..CA540, 640 etc. CA will suit your requirements much better than any of the other brands you mentioned.
Happy hunting:)

I have a Denon 2308 and I am very very happy with it. Marantz seems to not excel in Movies like Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Pio does. But musically it is considered to be slightly better than Denon [Experts please do chip in]. Now for Cambridge Audio, which seems to be better in musicality (and of course equal in movies)..CA540, 640 etc. CA will suit your requirements much better than any of the other brands you mentioned.
Happy hunting:)

CA are AVr with lack of features.

Greetings:

Thanks a ton

I'd audition the Marantz and Denon.
Lack of TrueHD doesn't matter, as your PS3 can send TrueHD as Linear PCM to the Marantz anyway.

There's a nice FAQ for the PS3 here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931796

Last edited:

It all boils down to how serious you are about music and how much you are ready to spend.

Neither of these speaker sets are made for music. If you are serious about music you have tp push yourself a little higher in speakers and look for floor standing or good bookshelves from companies such as Mission, AE, Wharfedales, Q-A, Mordaunt Short, etc.

Again if you are serious about music I would skip the usual suspects of Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, and Yamaha. Though CA and/or NAD receivers may be wanting in features, they reproduce music extremely well for an AVR. Both of them have the 'music first' philosophy and work towards that. As TH said, you can get most of the processing done by a competent player, and let the AVR just amplify well.

Cheers

Will be connecting my DVD player, PS3 and possibly a media server to the setup.

Media server??? Why do you need another one? Just upgrade the HDD in the PS3 and it will be all you require.

Would really be happy to get some help......
Thanks a ton

Well right now there's not much of HD Audio but that's the future for sure. If you're not going to be upgrading in a while then do go for HD Audio. However, if you feel you will upgrade when more HD Audio content is available then it does not matter right now I suppose. But I would go for myself and recommend that HD Audio be on board.

Thanks all. Finally did get the Denon 1909. Now looking forward to the arrival of my Mordant Short 908is

Hi,
What would be better..
Denon 1909/Onkyo 606/Marantz 5003.
I am unable to get Yamaha 663 as it is out of stock.
My preference is 70% movies and 30% music.

Also please quote the latest price for these AVRs..

Thanks in advance

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back