Denon 1909 or 1910? Please help..

Re: That 1909 is a demo piece :-(

this was only 2 weeks old ( it's on demo for 2 weeks).

1909 is last yrs model & must be in Demo for 1yr.Chances are that unlike LCDs,it is only used for Demo for short period.Nothing wrong buying if you get warrenty.But 10 series is better.If you dont want upscaling OR 7.1 amp,go for 1610(with surr back preout)

Re: That 1909 is a demo piece :-(

if i can remember correctly one of the forum members - venkat had commented that he rated the 10 series (1610-1910) poorly w.r.t to sound quality..you need to search that from his posts..

I was comparing the Denon models to last year's Yamaha - in particular the 663 and the 863. Though the Denon x10 series may have better video processing, the Yamahas beat both year's models in sound. The Yamahas have better authority and are certainly better for movies.

But, please remember this is my opinion. The Denon 1910 has won this year's EISA awards as well as WhatHiFi. In addition, the 1610, 1910, and 2310 all support Dolby's new IIz sound coding. If you are not using the rear channels, you can mount two small speakers directly above the front speakers. If you choose this sound code, you will get a sense of height in movies. The sound stage is supposed to be larger.

and now that the dealer knows that you know that he has a demo piece which cannot just be a 2 week old (ask him for the month of import/check his stock reg for the serial no if he allows you) you can negotiate a little better for getting it to 20% disc (denon 1909 list price was 40.5k if i remember correctly).

When you are buying a last year model, irrespective of how long it has been on demo, you must get a substantial discount. I would reckon 20-25% at the minimum. Otherwise, it makes more sense to buy current year model, eve if it is one model lower.

Konfused, if you can get the demo piece (1909) at a good price with warranty go for it. Else, given your budget constraints, go for the 1610.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat sir for your input. Will try to negotiate on the price of the demo piece. If they don't budge then I'll go for the 1610..

BTW, for Yamaha, which models would you recommend which is equivalent to 1909 and 1610, with similar features and power?

BTW, for Yamaha, which models would you recommend which is equivalent to 1909 and 1610, with similar features and power?

Yamaha's new models are complete crap. Don't even think about them. If you get a 663 at a good price, grab it.

Cheers

Hi All,
Thank you all for your help. Now there was twist in the tale. Today I went and bought the receiver. I went there with 1610 on my mind as I was sure that they won't reduce the price of the 1909. I tried but they said it's actually a new piece and on the AV rack only for last 2 weeks. So anyway I thought I'll take the 1610 instead. But they told me that they've got stock of 1910 and if I wanted to take a look into it. So I thought let's see how much they can come down to. Initially they told 40k but after after a lil bit of bargain they come down to 38.5k. I felt it's a good price as all over the forum, except by Ashish and that too in Delhi, nowhere I've seen this price. So I gave in to the temptation and thought that I'll somehow manage the finance. So decided to go with the 1910 instead of 1610 or 1909. YES, I bought the 1910 and came home with lots of excitement.
But the twist in the tale happened when I reached home and eagerly unpacked the box. Removed the remote and the user manual and then opened the Receiver. I was about to put it in the rack when I noticed it. There is bend on the left side of the receiver chassis and it's quite noticeable. Oh man, I never felt so dejected, I called up the dealer (Modern World, Domlur) and he told me to get the receiver tomorrow and they'll do something. I'm not sure what they are gonna do. Will they give me a replacement or will they try to fix the bend? It's part my fault also not to check the receiver properly there. I just checked it from the outside and things looked ok to me there. But only at home I could see the small dent. Anyway, it seems like that HD audio at my home still have to wait for some more time :-(
Keeping my fingers crossed and I hope that they'll give a replacement.
Regards,

I hope so, will be going there tomorrow morning, enroute office.
BTW, the distributor for this Denon Receiver is KEI not ProFx as the sticker says. Does it make any difference to service or the equipment itself? And I didn't get a warranty card with the receiver but only a proper bill. They told me that the bill itself is a warranty and I don't need to worry about it. So is this OK?

Hi,

Dont worry, as the bill can speak for itself. Insist for a replacement, I am sure they will replace it for you.

I wish you had examined the piece thoroughly before taking the delivery.

Thanks,

Congrates,but feels sorry too hearing that.
If you get replacement,that will be best.If the bend is not much & in front,you can ask for further 3k(or more discount/cashback)

Hey thanks guys. Left the AVR at the dealer's place while coming to office. They said they'll get a replacement and I can collect it in the evening. (actually they called me and told me to get the receiver by evening as they don't have stock with them. But as it's bit far off from my place I brought along with me for office and dropped it there).
Actually the bend/dent is not much. It's not that visible from the front and actually if I could've fixed it myself had I opened the chassis. But it's a brand new AVR and I don't want to touch anything. Probably they've kept something heavy on top of it during transit or storage and hence it got the bend.

BTW, can anyone my question regarding the distributor being KEI? Any issues for servicing or quality? I used to think it's only ProFx who is the distributor.

BTW, can anyone my question regarding the distributor being KEI? Any issues for servicing or quality? I used to think it's only ProFx who is the distributor.

Both KEI and ProFx distribute Denon products in India. ProFx sells mostly through their own showrooms, while KEI works with other dealers. KEI has just got into this business, and we can expect their service, warranty support, and quality to be good. They buy the products in bulk through ME and SE Asian offices and bring it into India.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat sir.. That clears all my doubt.
BTW, they called me and told me that they'll get the stock only by Monday and also told me that I can take a Onkyo as a standby till monday. They've to get the receiver shipped from Mumbai and hence taking time. So the wait is still getting longer and lil' frustrating too. But anyway, I'll have patience. All good things in life takes time to come.

Few more information, the price mentioned on the sticker was 43,990Rs instead of 45000 of ProFx (ProFx was ready to give the AVR for 39.5 and 1610 for 26.3k).
Receiver color is black (I'm happy with that as I thought it'll be silver only but black looks better).
Also they were ready to give 1610 for 26k.
The dealer is Modern World, Domlur (I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before or not).

Hey r u married??If yes god save u if not then u r safe:lol:
He he dude, I know what you are saying. But thank God, no problem from that angle.:clapping:

hi, God forbid I say Never never. Once u pay fidle the demo as u feel and ask for a new sealed peice test it take home. It makes sence:licklips::licklips:
Yuppp, got a sealed piece only, bought 1910 instead. Will be getting a new piece by Monday.

Whole day I was feeling restless, I was waiting for something. The wait was like a wait for your girlfriend in those initial days. I was waiting for a call, a call to confirm me that my AVR has arrived in Bangalore. At last the call came at 4.30pm that the receiver is now at the showroom. Oh I was ecstatic and was dying to leave office, but this damn work. Ultimately left by 7.40 around and rushed to the dealer's place. BTW, Bangalore guys, if you felt being pushed over by a suzi, driven like mad around that time on the old Airport road, then I'm really sorry, just couldn't resist myself. That bloody traffic was getting on to nerves almost. Reached Modern world by 8pm around. Got my hands on my new Denon 1910. Oh wasn't it a beauty and the prolonged wait kinda ignited the passion a bit more. It's a absolutely new piece and they've opened it there in front me on my request. No dent or no scratch this time. Thank God. Rushed back to home after thanking the guys there for getting me a replacement without any resistance, I would definitely recommend these guys for sure.
Anyway, reached home and unpacked everything. Connection was breeze but I think I'll have to get banana plugs later when I change to new speakers. This screw-in one's are bit of pain. And now cometh the hardest part. As feared the setup was really confusing and the manual was of no help at all. But thanks to Batpig's website(http://www.batpigworld.com/setup.htm) I could finish the setup with the help of Audessey. Dropped the Transformer blu-ray to the player and oh man, I was just blown away. Couldn't turn up the volume as it was night time and eagerly waiting for daylight ;-). Finished testing of BD, DVD and Cable till now and then went on to have my dinner at 1AM.
Will be testing with CD and iPod tomorrow. Till then, ciao..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back