Denon 1909 or 1910? Please help..

Hey Spiro, yeah a review is due from my side. But it'll be a very novice guy's review. Anyway,

1. Installation and setup :
Connection: Connecting the speakers was easy for the connectors on the leftmost and rightmost posts. For other posts it was not so easy to insert the wires and connect them. They are placed too close for comfort. Banana plugs will surely help here.
Connected the HDMI cables (one to the TV and two from the DVD player and PS3), no hassle here.
For the iPod used stereo to RCA connector and connected the VCR/iPod socket. No docks yet. Probably will get a dock next time.
Similarly connected the Set Top Box.

Now comes the setup of the speakers and here this link (BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY) helped me a lot and setup was breeze. Connected the Audyessy mic and started the setup. It showed me a warning about wrong phase for the speakers and then again the painful process of changing the speaker wires started. Took total 6 readings for the Audyessy setup and than stored the result. The reading was quite accurate for the distance and other things.
All these took me around 2 hours to complete but worth every minute spend.

Listening/Viewing experience :
Dropped Transformers blu-ray to the PS3 and now the sounds come alive. Oh man, I know that I was missing something and here it was. The Denon sounded much better than the Sony through the same speakers. Atleast that's what I felt. May be it's due to the HD audio of Blu-ray but whatever it is, I was elated. Tried playing Gladiator m2ts file through media server via S3 and that was also sounding so good.
But there is something missing, it's the punch of the bass. I don't yet have a subwoofer and I badly need one now. Once the sub is there the setup will sound even better for sure. And then I'll add a different set of fronts.

About the video: I've done the upscalling part at the PS3 itself so I don't know if there will be a difference in upscalling in PS3 or Denon. The upscaling of STB was also set but I'm not satisfied with that. The picture looks softer now but anyway direct to TV also was no good anyway.

Audio again : Played some CD's next day. Initially they were sounding kind of muted then I changed to direct and they started sounding good. I was bit taken aback as Stereo and direct should sound same. Then after sometime found out what the issue was. It seems dynamic volume made the difference as it was set to midnight and it was on. Switched it off and now both are sounding similar. BTW five channel stereo also sounds good and louder.
Tuning the radio was breeze and the reception was good.
Playing games: Now I know who is shooting from which side from the sounds itself and I can change myself to that direction to eliminate that bugger :yahoo:.
Well, that's all from my side about the receiver. I'm not an audiophile kind of guy and I just want to enjoy my movies and music with some good sound. One thing I can easily conclude that although it's costly, it's something that put some smile to my face. :yahoo:

Thanks,

So Sabra ka phal mithahi hua :licklips:

Good rev from you.It will be nice to know if you add details like-

1.Channel separation,feeling like on road etc
2.Dialoge clearity,reality etc
3.CD playback comparing to stereo amp,atleast did you feel new whiling listening to old/regular CDs

Thanks,

So Sabra ka phal mithahi hua :licklips:

Good rev from you.It will be nice to know if you add details like-

1.Channel separation,feeling like on road etc
2.Dialoge clearity,reality etc
3.CD playback comparing to stereo amp,atleast did you feel new whiling listening to old/regular CDs
Channel sepration, I hope what you meant is Surrounds, right? Yeah, I can feel that the sound is coming from somewhere else, feel the every arrow that wheezes pass or the bullets being fired. And actually once I went to check my door as I felt someone was knocking ;-)
Dialogues are pretty clear even with the Sony speakers. I almost feel like that I don;t need the subtitles anymore. Even for STB the sound is now pretty clearer.
Not sure if I can hear some difference. Somehow these days I don't enjoy the CD's that much. Dunno why they sounds so shrill to my ears, may be I'm getting old or may be the mixing is pathetic with lot of increase in treble.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back