Denon 1910 or the Denon 1610 ??

gsenthil99

Hello Friends,

I plan to setup a small hometheater in my living room and have been visiting this forum for a while now. I would have definetly been happy with a higher end Philips or a sony Home theater maybe a year back... with an Onkyo entry level home theater 3 months back.. :)

However, after seeing the wealth of information and the AV Enthusiants here and also auditioning a couple of speakers and A/V receivers, I now want a decent Entry level HT setup... I have shortlisted the Denon amplifiers.... the 1610 and the 1910

I am trying to do a price/performance/feature comparision and have a few questions -

1. Is the quality of Audio coming from 1910 and the 1610 the same. (there has been a lot of reviews on the 1910 but not too many on the 1610... and also there was not a single place where I could Audition the 1610)

2. How is the video upscaling quality of the in 1910.. Will it upscale only the regular DVD'd etc.. or will I also be able to upscale the signal coming from DTH... let us say Airtle or Tata Sky ?

Is the 1910 worth the 12K - 15K difference.... would it make more sense to invest the saved money here on a better speakers ?

Looking forward for your responses...

Thanks gain to the moderators and the experts here for the wealth of Information !!

1. Is the quality of Audio coming from 1910 and the 1610 the same. (there has been a lot of reviews on the 1910 but not too many on the 1610... and also there was not a single place where I could Audition the 1610)

Since majority of parts inside will be the same, the sound quality will be very similar. I have heard the 1910 and 2310 and they sound distinctly similar. So it is fair to assume that the 1610 will also have a similar sound.

2. How is the video upscaling quality of the in 1910.. Will it upscale only the regular DVD'd etc.. or will I also be able to upscale the signal coming from DTH... let us say Airtle or Tata Sky ?

Irrespective of the scaling capabilities of the 1910, you cannot scale any TV signal in India to more than 720P. This is the current status till the companies start transmitting MPEG4 signals and delivering set top boxes with HDMI or at least component. You cannot scale much with a composite cable input.

Is the 1910 worth the 12K - 15K difference.... would it make more sense to invest the saved money here on a better speakers ?

Having extra power on hand is always good. If you have the money, go for the 1910. If not get the 1610, and go for speakers that are easy to drive. The amp needs to have some reserve power to handle sudden transient requirements when a movie is playing. For example, if a amp is rated at 100 watts a channel and you cruise it at around 30 to 40 watts, the amp will have enough reserve to handle sudden amplification requirements. But if you drive the amp hard at around 75 watts all the time, the amp will struggle to handle sudden spurts in amplification needs and may start distorting.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat...

I have heard that both the AVR-2310 and the AVR-1910 are tuned for the UK market... no mention about the 1610 here... So was a little skeptical here...

Can anyone who have auditioned the 1610 share their experiences...

Is there any other A/V receiver that I can consider in a budget similar to the 1610 ( I am planning to pair it to the wharfedale 10.1 and my music to movie usage would be 80 to 20)

Is there any place here in Blore where I can audition the 1610 ?

looking at the reviews, I heart beats for the 1910 but my head says - 1610 !!:indifferent14:

I just recently picked up a 1610 from Profx. Overall experience has been good thou I have to say that its a little short on power. For a big room it might be a problem. Sound quality is good. Has this Rstr button that converts mp3 and other compressed versions of music to its former glory (well almost). Really liked the remote too since you can almost use it like a universal remote for your TV, DVD and others. But I am sure you'll find both these pluses in the 1910 as well. Not tried the up-conversion since I still have to upgrade my old CRT TV. The 1610 comes with audyssey... while the 1910 is supposed to be some cool new processor for better up-conversion. 1610 is also only 5+1 with 2 pre - outs for the surr back/front height. But if you have to use this you'll have to pick up a separate amp - meaning $$$. Overall if you have the dough go for 1910... but if not go for 1610 you will not be disappointed.
Btw did you check out the 465 from Yamaha. I didnt demo it but have heard that Yamaha's are good for their sound. I went for the 1610 since it was 70:30 - movies to music and I wanted DolbyHD which 465 dint have.

Hi,

If your preference is 80 to 20 in favor of music and if you are going to pair the AVR with the Wharfies, take an audition of a Marantz AVR within your budget and then decide.

cheers,
sri

Hi,

If your preference is 80 to 20 in favor of music and if you are going to pair the AVR with the Wharfies, take an audition of a Marantz AVR within your budget and then decide.

cheers,
sri

What are the marantz AVRs in the same range as that of denon 1910 ?

I recently bought the 1910, with Polk speakers. Am very happy with it.

Hello Friends,

Sound quality should be almost identical between 1610 and 1910.
Where are you located ? In the metros you can go across to ProFX and demo both.

First of all, this depends on how good is the in-built scaler in your flat panel TV. I have a Samsung 50PSB450. It has an excellent scaler.

With Tata Sky (composite video), the upscaling done by the Denon is inferior to that done by the TV itself.

I have just got a Tata Sky+ (not yet installed). I plan to test and see whether the upscaling from the component video signal in Tata Sky+ is better.

My take - buy the 1610 and invest the difference on better speakers.
The improvement in sound quality with better speakers is immediately apparent.

There are some long owners threads on AVS forums on the Denon 1610 and 1910 which are worth reading.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1152799

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1153086

Having extra power on hand is always good. If you have the money, go for the 1910. If not get the 1610, and go for speakers that are easy to drive. The amp needs to have some reserve power to handle sudden transient requirements when a movie is playing. For example, if a amp is rated at 100 watts a channel and you cruise it at around 30 to 40 watts, the amp will have enough reserve to handle sudden amplification requirements. But if you drive the amp hard at around 75 watts all the time, the amp will struggle to handle sudden spurts in amplification needs and may start distorting.

Cheers

Thank you Venkatji,

Which speakers you would recomend for 1610

Thanks in advance
Gap G J

Thank you Venkatji,
Which speakers you would recomend for 1610

Speaker are a purely personal choice. Listen to as many as possible and decide after hearing them. There are a number of threads in HFV that discuss various speakers - Mission, Wharfedale, QA, Acoustic Energy, etc. Please search for these threads, short list a few brands, listen to them and the buy your speakers.

Cheers

First of all, this depends on how good is the in-built scaler in your flat panel TV. I have a Samsung 50PSB450. It has an excellent scaler.

Thatz great news... I picked a the 42B450 last week... yet to check it out...waiting for it to be wallmounted :)

With Tata Sky (composite video), the upscaling done by the Denon is inferior to that done by the TV itself.

This is disappointing and actually a surprise....as I remember reading elsewhere about the new superior chip in 1910 for upscaling...

My take - buy the 1610 and invest the difference on better speakers.
The improvement in sound quality with better speakers is immediately apparent.

I am now favoring the 1910 as the price diff between the 1910 and the 1610 is not going to be high in the grey market.... btw,has anybody here have the exp of buying an AVR in the grey market... (in Blore)

I was quoted 32K for the 1910 in national market...

I did receive some grey mkt quotes. But the price difference ( 2 - 3 K) was not sufficient for me to buy from the grey mkt. I would rahter pay a little bit more and get an item with full warranty.

Also, since I spent a lot of time at ProFX listening to demos, I thought that it is justified to spend a little more and buy from them.

However, this is purely a personal choice. Just giving you my point of view.

Also keep in mind that there are good discounts available even from authorised dealers, with full warranty. I bought the 1910 for Rs 40K from ProFX.

I have just got a Tata Sky+ (not yet installed). I plan to test and see whether the upscaling from the component video signal in Tata Sky+ is better.

Though there are arguments that a DVDP's player's upscaling and that of a the TV are usually better, I find it difficult to understand that a composite signal can be better. Remember there is no upscaling in composite and the signal will usually be a max of 480P. If you connect the TataSky to the AVR through a composite, and the AVR to the TV through an HDMI, it will certainly be better than the upscaling done by the TV. If you connect the TataSky to the TV through an HDMI (which you cannot), then it will become a fair comparison.

I recently had the opportunity to see such a configuration - TataSky to 1910 via composite, and 1910 to a FullHD LG TV through HDMI. The results were appreciably different in favour of the 1910 upscaling.

Ultimately everything depends upon the processors used. The 1910, if I am not wrong, uses a high end Fardoudja processor which is literally a industry standard in de-interlacing and upscaling.

Cheers

Though there are arguments that a DVDP's player's upscaling and that of a the TV are usually better, I find it difficult to understand that a composite signal can be better. Remember there is no upscaling in composite and the signal will usually be a max of 480P. If you connect the TataSky to the AVR through a composite, and the AVR to the TV through an HDMI, it will certainly be better than the upscaling done by the TV. If you connect the TataSky to the TV through an HDMI (which you cannot), then it will become a fair comparison.

I recently had the opportunity to see such a configuration - TataSky to 1910 via composite, and 1910 to a FullHD LG TV through HDMI. The results were appreciably different in favour of the 1910 upscaling.

Ultimately everything depends upon the processors used. The 1910, if I am not wrong, uses a high end Fardoudja processor which is literally a industry standard in de-interlacing and upscaling.

Cheers

Venkat,

Pls have a look at the AVS forums thread on the Denon 1910 which I linked to earlier. The video upscaling of the 1910 has been extensively tested by users. Findings are :
- Upscaling from Component and HDMI is excellent
- Upscaling from Composite is poor

This appears to be a flaw in the implementation of the ABT chip in the Denon. Its not a weakness of the chip itself.

Hence have upgraded to Tata Sky+, so that I can use the Denon for upscaling.

Hope this clarifies.

Hi , If we keep aside upscaling;(For that I will buy Pio 610.....:))

I have also planned to short list between these two but I have to consider my room size which is 11X13 ft wooden flooring.
Since 1910 has 7 channel @ 90 wpc and 1610 has 5 channel @ 75 wpc.
1. Will 1610 be sufficient for me? (If yes then I will be able to spend more on speakers...:))
2. Plz suggest the same for Sub too?

1. Will 1610 be sufficient for me? (If yes then I will be able to spend more on speakers...:))
2. Plz suggest the same for Sub too?

1610 is OK for the room size you mentioned.Again powerrating of 1610 is lesser than 1910,so you need to select spk with higher sensitivity.
MS comes with ?90db, Mission comes with 86db.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back