Denon 1910 vs Yamaha v863

anstri

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of analysis in buying a good AV receiver. spoke to a lot of people and i think Denon 1910 is a good option.

My usage is 60-70% music, and 30-40% movies. As per the reviews i understand Denon 1910 is good for both movies and music. Also it has upscaling.

I have also selected Yamaha v863 as it is the lowest available yamaha amp with upscaling.

I wanted your confirmation on the following:

1) is my assumption correct that both these amps are good for music and movies. Which one is better?
2) Is upscaling really effective, i have a hathway setop box and my hd ready tv does not look that great. Will upscaling drastically improve the quality or just a bit.
3) If upscaling in not that effective then i think even the yamaha v463 specs are good enough. and it is half the cost

Your quick comments pls.

i agree with venkat sir....nothing beats the yamaha 863 which at 47k these days is a steal - prices might have dropped further. Please check.

For movies the 863 is ahead and though between 663 and 1909 for music , I would have suggested the latter, the 863 steals the thunder from the denon amp - for sheer flexibility and features the 863 is way ahead.

i understand the 863 is a higher spec amp and is more expensove also. I picked up 863 because its the cheapest amp of yamaha with upscaling. Just wanted to undertsand that if upscaling of a settop box is not very effective then i rather go in for a yamah v 463. comments pls

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of analysis in buying a good AV receiver. spoke to a lot of people and i think Denon 1910 is a good option.

My usage is 60-70% music, and 30-40% movies. As per the reviews i understand Denon 1910 is good for both movies and music. Also it has upscaling.

I have also selected Yamaha v863 as it is the lowest available yamaha amp with upscaling.

1) is my assumption correct that both these amps are good for music and movies. Which one is better?
2) Is upscaling really effective, i have a hathway setop box and my hd ready tv does not look that great. Will upscaling drastically improve the quality or just a bit.
3) If upscaling in not that effective then i think even the yamaha v463 specs are good enough. and it is half the cost

Your quick comments pls.

Hey ANSTRI - I would say go with Denon, its way a lot of value for money compared to Yamaha especially when you talk about upscaling. Also I heard them at PROFX Hyd. They sounded pretty neat to me. Again its all verypersonal and subjective. I myself own Yammy RXV 450 which I love, especially the DSP modes. But I would still say that Denon 1910 represents amazing value. Go for it.

any comments on the v463 if i let go off the upscaling feature.

how is it for music and movies? as the pirce is quite low and the specs are not that bad

If you do not require upscaling, then you may consider v663 at ~33K Rs which supports all the HD audio codecs and has a reasonable power(90W/channel).

Hi,

Your quick comments pls.

i think v665,v565 are the latest models with upscaling...
Products | YAMAHA Music India Pvt. Ltd.

If you do not require upscaling, then you may consider v663 at ~33K Rs which supports all the HD audio codecs and has a reasonable power(90W/channel).

For 33K - this is a positive steal! I still remember when this was priced quite a bit higher. The 663 is quite an allrounder which is very good in movies and holds its own in the music department.

any comments on the v463 if i let go off the upscaling feature.

how is it for music and movies? as the pirce is quite low and the specs are not that bad

Anstri, it is just not the upscaling feature but also the power. Generally I have seen that AVRs with less than around 100 watts per channel sound weak and are not bale to handle the transients that are need for both music and movies. Irrespective of what other features you look for, please do see that you have at least 100 watts per channel of power in the AVR. That is the reason all of us are talking about 1910, 2310, 663, and 863.

You can of course go for the 463, if you have a very small room and use satellite speakers. But if that is what you are looking for, a better option in terms of price and performance would be a well matched HTIB. To get speakers that work well with a 463 may be a challenge. I thin only small satellite speakers would do justice to that kind of power.

Cheers

Venkat... I know that you are guru at audio and truly loved your review of the Jamo 718 & 606 in this forum. However I happen to listen to the Yam 463 while I was considering my AVR recently and noticed that it certainly was loud enough for most use. I would say that unless you have a really big room, 463 would certainly be loud enough unless you want your neighbors banging on your door.
Now about the 463 - I feel that it has all the bells and whistles thou you may also want to consider the Denon 1610 since it handles audio on the HDMI and decodes HD Audio. Thou if your use is for music I have heard that the Yam is supposed to be better.

Venkat... I know that you are guru at audio and truly loved your review of the Jamo 718 & 606 in this forum. However I happen to listen to the Yam 463 while I was considering my AVR recently and noticed that it certainly was loud enough for most use. I would say that unless you have a really big room, 463 would certainly be loud enough unless you want your neighbors banging on your door.

Well, if it is paired with matching speakers, then I am sure it will be good. In any case I was talking about handling transients in sound. Not 'loudness'. In movies particularly, if the transients are not handled with authority, one tends to miss some of the excitement that the director intended. So is the case in music.

Cheers

Well, if it is paired with matching speakers, then I am sure it will be good. In any case I was talking about handling transients in sound. Not 'loudness'. In movies particularly, if the transients are not handled with authority, one tends to miss some of the excitement that the director intended. So is the case in music.

Cheers

I agree... and I am certainly not one of those who like it too loud. The challenge is being able to differentiate between one with the other. To someone like you who have a keen sense of sound and know the nuances, its easy to differentiate. But for most people its very difficult. :).

I will try and answer the upscaling question on your hathway STB.

There could be a few reasons why the signal looks bad
1. Weak signal - Signal strength can be increased by the cable operator, I got it done and there was a signficant improvement on my hd ready tv. This will have the most impact.
2. The upscalers in the AVR work better for DVD's rather than STB primarily because upscaling a poor quality signal may not help much ( but does have an improvement) Think of it as a digital zoom in your camera.

You could probably get the best improvement by either changing to Tata Sky + or Big TV as they provided component out from the STB.

However, if you are buying it for upscaling DVD's thats another question, although typically its cheaper to get this done from a good quality DVD player.

i understand the 863 is a higher spec amp and is more expensove also. I picked up 863 because its the cheapest amp of yamaha with upscaling. Just wanted to undertsand that if upscaling of a settop box is not very effective then i rather go in for a yamah v 463. comments pls

I have used both rx663 and rx463. I have noticed that the difference in audio quality between 463 and 663 itself is a big margin. I won't be able to compare 463 and 863.

If your room is around 120 to 150 sq feet rx463 should be fine. But still the refinement that you get from 663 or 863 will not be there in 463.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Last edited:
coming to harshness, any AVR other than Onkyo(common) can sound bright if paired with wrong spk.
I found even 663 bright with Tannoy F4 system,the same can sound better with Wharf 9.1.Same with Denon too.

Thanks all for the response, think the best way is to get a demo of 1910, 863, 663 and 463. The problem is that there are no stores around who can show a decent demo in Mumbai. Ezone, Croma, Vijay sales suck big time.

Think there is a place call "the shop" in andheri west, who is supposed to be good, Any other suggestions

Thanks all for the response, think the best way is to get a demo of 1910, 863, 663 and 463. The problem is that there are no stores around who can show a decent demo in Mumbai. Ezone, Croma, Vijay sales suck big time.

Think there is a place call "the shop" in andheri west, who is supposed to be good, Any other suggestions

THE shop,Viola,Alliance4 are closely located to get multiple Demo on same day.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back