Denon 2310 with Kef iQ7 Stereo setup issue

Manu and John, the correct way to set the sub is to find out the frequency at which the fronts stop. For example, if the fronts stop are 70Hz, set the sub to take over from 80Hz. That way, the transition from the fronts to the sub will be smooth. There is no harm in letting the fronts go as low as possible. Most good fronts (even bookshelves) can handle up to something like 60-65HZ comfortably. Most sound in movies such as drums, gun shots, baritone voice etc., are easily handled by the front speakers as their frequency range is between 60 to 100Hz. What is important in such cases is the speed and tightness of the speaker - how quickly does the sound die? How sharp and tight is the sound. One of the dangers of sending such signals to the sub is the artificial boom and expanse that is added. If you hear a gun shot in real life, it is very sharp and has a slightly HF tonal quality to it. As the bullet explodes, it sets the gun to vibrate and the metal tone is added to the gun shot. It will actually sound slightly tinny. A good speaker should be able to deliver that precisely. If you send such signal to the sub, it will remove the HF sound and make the gun shot sound like a explosion.

In movies, most of the regular low sound is sent along with other audio signals. For really low signals, the AVR will, in any case, send the signals to the LFE. That is how the sound engineer will record. This is discussed with the movie director and they decide together how the sound should be delivered. George Lucas created THX exactly for this reason. To ensure your system sounds exactly how it was intended. The THX standard is 80Hz.

Most of us mistake loudness and boominess as being good. It is not. Accuracy and sharpness is what is important.

Experiment with the AVR and subwoofer settings to get as tight and accurate bass as you can get. Let the fronts go down as low as they can before the sub takes over. Remember the sub has a very small frequency range and will sound unnatural with most sounds other than what they are designed for.

Cheers

Last edited:
Manu and John, the correct way to set the sub is to find out the frequency at which the fronts stop. For example, if the fronts stop are 70Hz, set the sub to take over from 80Hz. That way, the transition from the fronts to the sub will be smooth. There is no harm in letting the fronts go as low as possible. Most good fronts (even bookshelves) can handle up to something like 60-65HZ comfortably. Most sound in movies such as drums, gun shots, baritone voice etc., are easily handled by the front speakers as their frequency range is between 60 to 100Hz. What is important in such cases is the speed and tightness of the speaker - how quickly does the sound die? How sharp and tight is the sound. One of the dangers of sending such signals to the sub is the artificial boom and expanse that is added. If you hear a gun shot in real life, it is very sharp and has a slightly HF tonal quality to it. As the bullet explodes, it sets the gun to vibrate and the metal tone is added to the gun shot. It will actually sound slightly tinny. A good speaker should be able to deliver that precisely. If you send such signal to the sub, it will remove the HF sound and make the gun shot sound like a explosion.

In movies, most of the regular low sound is sent along with other audio signals. For really low signals, the AVR will, in any case, send the signals to the LFE. That is how the sound engineer will record. This is discussed with the movie director and they decide together how the sound should be delivered. George Lucas created THX exactly for this reason. To ensure your system sounds exactly how it was intended. The THX standard is 80Hz.

Most of us mistake loudness and boominess as being good. It is not. Accuracy and sharpness is what is important.

Experiment with the AVR and subwoofer settings to get as tight and accurate bass as you can get. Let the fronts go down as low as they can before the sub takes over. Remember the sub has a very small frequency range and will sound unnatural will most sound.

Cheers

thank you sir :)

for me 80hz for everything sounds superb with awesome bass(even at low volumes)

one more thing i set the xover on my subwoofer to its highest setting and select lpf to 80hz in avr ,so i guess i'm doing right

Aneelr

If you are looking at Denon ALWAYS go to Profx since they are the India Dealers for Denon. Denon has started to get their equipment made in China and there are some overheating issues with some low end sets when the units go on stand by as the protective circuit kicks in. If you run into such problems Profx is your best bet to get it fixed. please do not get me wrong the 2310 is an excellent AVR. Check the back pane if you are lucky you may get a set made in Japan.Strongly recommend stay with Profx.

Regards

Sindhu:clapping:

Venkat's post is something new to me. As is the way John has finally connected the speakers. Currently I do not use bi-amping since my speakers (Electra Be) cannot be bi-amped. Earlier I had Q7s with a Denon and I had no issues with Front to High and Back to Low set up. The sub is definitely under powered - the iQ 7 is best paired with Kef PSW 2500.

My two bits John - you may have done this.
Set fronts to high. Audyssey will set it to small. Set LFE+Main. Input the distances manually. Calibrate the set using a sound meter at 80/85 hz (C setting fast response) starting with the center. You may later try Manual EQ and use the Audyssey settings. The usefulness of Audyssey is the multiple samples it takes. For the sub disable the Hi-pass & Low Pass filters (if you have them). Set the volume to max prior to calibrating and equalize when you calibrate by adjusting the DB setting for the sub. You can play around a little here.

Additional input : Google "Room Mode Calculator" and check them out. I have used the one from Harman.com. It is easy to understand and to implement. It will tell you where in the room you must NOT place your speakers/sub. The results can be extraordinary. You may hear sounds which you never heard before. You can visit the site - go to technology and check out the paper by Dr. Fred Toole on which this RMC is based. Although the model is based on LXWXH, stay with LXH and figure out the null points on the floor - all may not be practical but there will be some which you can use for speaker placement and listening positions.

Hope it helps a few boomong souls !

Meanwhile I shall do some look ups on venkat's observation.

Sindhu

oops! Read LXW and not LXH. I am sure you do not want your speakers to be haning in the air !! Apologies for the typo.

Say NO to standing waves.

Guys let me know if you find it useful.

Sindhu.

ProFX is no longer the Denon Distributor. I think the distributorship has changed hands and is now with Kripa Electronics India (KEI).

Raghav

Aneelr

If you are looking at Denon ALWAYS go to Profx since they are the India Dealers for Denon. Denon has started to get their equipment made in China and there are some overheating issues with some low end sets when the units go on stand by as the protective circuit kicks in. If you run into such problems Profx is your best bet to get it fixed. please do not get me wrong the 2310 is an excellent AVR. Check the back pane if you are lucky you may get a set made in Japan.Strongly recommend stay with Profx.

Regards

Sindhu:clapping:

Folks,

Profx has had some reorg, the new Avatar is Advanced Audio Solutions. ProFx is now a brand which they sell through AAS. They are very much a dealer for Denon. For denon they are still the best palce to go to.

Sindhu

then which is the best place to buy Denon, price and service.

Do they service products bought from each other. Is it a Denon warranty or distributor specific one?

Raghav

Both offer warrenty ,support @ distributor level as minor faults are easily corrected.
Profx is old & has better setup.But Mumbai centre use to give delayed response as reported by other members.Because new distributor has come,they have improoved a bit recently...

ProFX is no longer the Denon Distributor. I think the distributorship has changed hands and is now with Kripa Electronics India (KEI).

Raghav

Any contact details of Kripa India ? It seems there website kripaindia.com is still under construction.

Last edited:
latest edition of WHFSV India and AV Max has full page Ad of Kripa with name of all their dealers. Cannot find the mag, else would have posted the same.

Designer Audio (dist. of quad and wharfedale) is also listed as dealer of Kripa for Denon.

Raghav

Any contact details of Kripa India ? It seems there website kripaindia.com is still under construction.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back