Denon AVR 1909 - First Impressions

kumareshwar

Hi,

Just received my Denon AVR 1909 last night and hooked it up to my Wharfedale 9.6 Towers and the rest of the 7.1 setup. Wow! I must say its just good. The sound is great and the looks too. The setup took about 45 mins Audyssey Auto Calib did a very good job. Of course, one has to sit through quite a few banshee-like shrieks while the system sets itself up.

However, the manual is a lil bit difficult to understand. It could be more clear. It advises that we keep the Subwoofer at its maximum frequency. I did and am quite happy with the sound but why set it up at 80Hz while it could be around 40? Will it improve the sound much more if I reset the entire setup with the Subwoofer around 40 or 45Hz?

I also notice a bit of noise in the picture on Sharp Aquos 32A53 100Hz LCD TV. I connected the TV to the receiver through a DAC HDMI Cable and the receiver to the TV through a Monster HD1000 HDMI cable.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Eswar.

Hi Eshwarji,

Let me tbe the first to congratulate you. Guys, I have been to Eshwarji's house and its a well planned living room cum entertainment setup, except for the 32 inch TV looking small. I had pulled his leg on that point err... suggested him for a bigger one as a normal viewer of the whole setup.

Atlast, the wait was good Eshwarji. Best being you had planned it well.

Also, look for a PM I will send you today.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Just received my Denon AVR 1909 last night and hooked it up to my Wharfedale 9.6 Towers and the rest of the 7.1 setup. Wow! I must say its just good. The sound is great and the looks too. The setup took about 45 mins Audyssey Auto Calib did a very good job. Of course, one has to sit through quite a few banshee-like shrieks while the system sets itself up.

However, the manual is a lil bit difficult to understand. It could be more clear. It advises that we keep the Subwoofer at its maximum frequency. I did and am quite happy with the sound but why set it up at 80Hz while it could be around 40? Will it improve the sound much more if I reset the entire setup with the Subwoofer around 40 or 45Hz?

I also notice a bit of noise in the picture on Sharp Aquos 32A53 100Hz LCD TV. I connected the TV to the receiver through a DAC HDMI Cable and the receiver to the TV through a Monster HD1000 HDMI cable.

Eswar.

Hi Eswar,

I am also looking forward to buy Denon AVR 1909. I dont know how much it costs.
If you could tell me where did you buy it and for how much that will be just great.

Thanks
Rocky

Congrats kumar,

do let us know how it is over time.

cool and maniac if in bangalore it will be around 40k.

Two people you can contact in bng they are our forum members,

Abhijit biswas and hifipal, even vector in both hyderabad and bangalore.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the congratulatory messages. I am quite happy with its performance. I will have to wait and see how its going to perform after I know enough to fine tune it.

Anooj, thank u very much for complimenting my flat. Its just comfortable and not so gr8 looking. Thanks anyway.

Maniac :), sorry I don't know how else to address u as thats ur id on the forum and Rocky, I had mine brought from abroad through a cousin. Cost me 33k. I believe u can get one from Vector, Hyderabad for around 39k. Contact Mr. Srinivas on 040-23350099.

Eswar.

Last edited:
Fully agree with Eswar that this is a great AVR. :) I am also very happy with my 1909. (My setup is also similar to Eswar except it being a 5.1 and having the Diamond 9.1 instead of the DFS for the surround. The speakers are really singing and am very happy with the quality).
And yes, the Denon 1909 manual is still very confusing - the dealer helped me with the setup and wiring and I did not need to use the Audyssey setup. Will need to call the ProFx guys - they have offered to come home and explain the AVR functionality.

Eswar & Mani,

What is your feedback on upscaling from analog to 1080p feature? Is your normal cable/DTH fed to this AVR? The upscaling will make big difference on tv?

I did and am quite happy with the sound but why set it up at 80Hz while it could be around 40? Will it improve the sound much more if I reset the entire setup with the Subwoofer around 40 or 45Hz?

Eswar.

Eshwar:

Congratulations on your purchase.

The 80Hz setting is as per THX specification, and it is quite standard. But that should not stop you from experimenting and setting it at a frequency that you like.

Regarding the noise on the TV, it could possibly be because of the speakers. See if you can move them away from the TV a bit and see what happens to the noise. You can also change the direction of the speakers. Set them in what is called 'toe-in' position. That is the rear of the speaker will be at a small angle away from the TV.

Actually if the noise disappears if you move the speaker away, you should call the Wharfedale guy and point it to him. The Wharfedales are supposed to be magnetically shielded and should not create any noise.

Cheers

Congratulations on your purchase Eshwar! That is a fine pair of floorstanders that you have got. What is the subwoofer you are pairing them with?

Hi Venkat,

Pls clarify whether I can change the crossover settings on the Subwoofer to abt 45Hz while leaving the Receiver at 80Hz as the Audessey setup has been done.

I have actually meddled with the settings. Hence, the grain. I have redone everything again and the picture is good and clean again. So, is there is any need to move the speakers?

Vortex,

I am using a Wharfedale Procube 12+ 150 watt subwoofer and am quite happy with it. The rest of the setup has a Wharfedale 9CM center speaker, 2 pairs of Wharfedale 9DS surrounds.

Eswar.

Pls clarify whether I can change the crossover settings on the Subwoofer to abt 45Hz while leaving the Receiver at 80Hz as the Audessey setup has been done.

You have to set the same crossover at both ends. There is no harm is tweaking with the Audessey setting to get what you want. Instead of jumping straight to 45Hz, start from 80Hz and go down by 10Hz at a time and see how the system behaves/sounds. Stop when you like the sound.

I have actually meddled with the settings. Hence, the grain. I have redone everything again and the picture is good and clean again. So, is there is any need to move the speakers?

No there is no need. If the noise has cleared because of AVR settings, your speakers are fine. The magnetic shielding is working well.

Cheers.

Thanks Venkat once again.

I need ur advice on buying a TV too. I plan to buy a larger TV. Samsung 46A650 or a 50 inch Plasma. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Regards,

Eswar.

Thanks Venkat once again.
I need ur advice on buying a TV too. I plan to buy a larger TV. Samsung 46A650 or a 50 inch Plasma. Any suggestions will be very helpful.
Eswar.

Eswar:

I have seen a lot of emotional involvement of people in the choice of TVs. I will wait for the fireworks to start, and then we can take stock of what you need to buy !!!! :)

Cheers

can I know whether sound decoding over HDMI (of the latest formats dolby True HD etc) is supported in 1909 . As the website mentions -
True 24-bit/192-kHz Digital Input Capability (Denon Link & 1394) as blank .

My dealer mentioned that sound would have to go over optical for the older models.

Last edited:
can I know whether sound decoding over HDMI (of the latest formats dolby True HD etc) is supported in 1909 . As the website mentions - True 24-bit/192-kHz Digital Input Capability (Denon Link & 1394) as blank. My dealer mentioned that sound would have to go over optical for the older models.

Yes, the 1909 does support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. For more information on connectivity please read the following posts.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-box/1252-how-connect-tv-dvd-hdmi-ht-non-hdmi.html

http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...-pioneer-dv600-audio-coaxial-audio-cable.html

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back