Denon AVR-X2400H goes into protection mode

Did not quite understand, are you saying ECO mode should be ON or OFF?
Because you said it will result in clipping which can damage speakers...
i corrected the spelling error, i mean't i wouldn't use ECO mode.

The Eco mode restricts the avr's power consumption and when the speakers demand more than what the AVR can deliver, it shuts off, So if it runs fine without that ECO mode, turn it off.

afaik the safe mode gets triggered when the amplifiers are "starved" of current. Voltage fluctuation (unless as dramatic as shared by Elangoas) should not be a problem. Use the amp in the most power hungry mode possible, do not starve it. Also be very wary of putting in a stabilizer of any kind between the mains and the AVR they can also starve the amplifier. Direct to mains is best, if possible get a direct line from the mains for your audio video set up.

Here is what audioholics had to say on Denon Eco mode..

Here is the link to that page - https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1/menu

Though the review is abt Denon x 3300, the ECO mode function should hold good for all models..

Well I have been using the Eco mode Auto on my Denon X2000 as well as the X3300 without any problems.

Have a look at this thread Discussion as well, there is an official denon customer support reply on the topic of eco mode as well

Well I have been using the Eco mode Auto on my Denon X2000 as well as the X3300 without any problems.

Have a look at this thread Discussion as well, there is an official denon customer support reply on the topic of eco mode as well

So, Yes.. ECO mode limits the power until some volume scale on the AVR..

Think the OP speakers were less efficient 85db, and 6 Ohms.. may be that was the reason for it to clip..

Hey everyone,

Faced the issue again with ECO mode off. Luckily, I have been able to reproduce this problem and managed to make a video of it.

Link to video

It happens at exactly the same place in this scene when the body is being dragged away. At lower volume of about 65 it did not go into protection mode.

How can I avoid this problem? Or will I have to live with it?

Your amplifier is struggling to keep up it seems. Try it with the inbuilt DRC on. sometimes it's called night mode. This compresses the dynamic range allowing you to watch the movie without raising the volume. I think a beefier amplifier is needed.

Hey everyone,

Faced the issue again with ECO mode off. Luckily, I have been able to reproduce this problem and managed to make a video of it.

WHats your center speaker model and name

also can you disable the surrounds and then play the track.

Your amplifier is struggling to keep up it seems. Try it with the inbuilt DRC on. sometimes it's called night mode. This compresses the dynamic range allowing you to watch the movie without raising the volume. I think a beefier amplifier is needed.
I'm confused about this though. My dealer insists this amplifier is more than enough to drive these speakers (1 Pair Elac F5s + 2 pairs Elac B5s)

Also, it runs absolutely fine in the John Wick night club fight scene (which arguably has more complex/louder/etc effects) at higher volume(75) without any hiccups.

WHats your center speaker model and name

also can you disable the surrounds and then play the track.
Sorry forgot to mention. Center is an Elac C5.

Disabling the surrounds would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the HT setup :)

Sorry forgot to mention. Center is an Elac C5.

Disabling the surrounds would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the HT setup :)

Well the reason is not to defeat the purpose but to find out the reason, having the BS plugged out you would then know if indeed the system is not able to give out put to speakers that need more power

Well the reason is not to defeat the purpose but to find out the reason, having the BS plugged out you would then know if indeed the system is not able to give out put to speakers that need more power
Oh right. How can I disable surrounds? Do I have unplug them manually or is there some setting I can modify?

Oh right. How can I disable surrounds? Do I have unplug them manually or is there some setting I can modify?
Get into setup
Get into Setup menu, >> Speakers >>> Manual Setup >> Surrounds switch them to NONE

Then try the same scene with higher volume etc.

Isolate the surrounds if there's a problem then you will know, do a pair first then the second pair,

btw whats your speaker configuration.
If it is 7.2/7.1/5.2.2/5.1.2 try to put it in traditional surround mode say 5.1( unplugging the specific speaker cables from AVR side and try the same scene)
May be one of the speaker/amp section/Speaker cables is loading the AVR during heavy action scene.Just a try same options with other speakers also

With all the inspiration from this thread, I have turned off the 'eco mode' in my receiver, and really feel the difference in sound output from my speakers. Oh man, I may have to re-watch many movies I have done till now, in 'eco mode off' :) Playing music also shows a real improvement from earlier state

btw whats your speaker configuration.
If it is 7.2/7.1/5.2.2/5.1.2 try to put it in traditional surround mode say 5.1( unplugging the specific speaker cables from AVR side and try the same scene)
May be one of the speaker/amp section/Speaker cables is loading the AVR during heavy action scene.Just a try same options with other speakers also
Thanks for your inputs reachkalyan and kane.

I shall try this out soon and post back.

Last year I had auditioned this Elac F5 and this was on my priority list as performance was better. But as salesman came to know that I have Denon AVR 2113 to power these speakers he advised me that my AVR may not be able to drive these as speakers sensitivity is 85.5 CB and they need more power. While audition F5 were powered by Denon AVR 4000 series. He said may be performe well in stereo mode but will struggle in multi channel mode. Same happened in case of Wharfdale Diamond 240. As speakers are rated with 4 ohm load and my AVR 2113 was not able to drive ( 8 ohm) them dealer suggested me WD230 instead of WD240. As AVR 2400 is upgrade version of AVR2113, may be it is not able to deliver more power for demanding multichannel track.
Possible solutions...
1. Turn of eco mode.
2. Increase source level to optimum
3. Cross over all speakers to higher cutoff so that subwoofer can share more power load
4. Proper ventilation with active cooling for AVR.
May be this will help you...

Last year I had auditioned this Elac F5 and this was on my priority list as performance was better. But as salesman came to know that I have Denon AVR 2113 to power these speakers he advised me that my AVR may not be able to drive these as speakers sensitivity is 85.5 CB and they need more power. While audition F5 were powered by Denon AVR 4000 series. He said may be performe well in stereo mode but will struggle in multi channel mode. Same happened in case of Wharfdale Diamond 240. As speakers are rated with 4 ohm load and my AVR 2113 was not able to drive ( 8 ohm) them dealer suggested me WD230 instead of WD240. As AVR 2400 is upgrade version of AVR2113, may be it is not able to deliver more power for demanding multichannel track.
Possible solutions...
1. Turn of eco mode.
2. Increase source level to optimum
3. Cross over all speakers to higher cutoff so that subwoofer can share more power load
4. Proper ventilation with active cooling for AVR.
May be this will help you...
Thanks for replying.

Could you give me more details on how to do steps 2 and 3?

First increase cross over of all speaker by 20 Hz and route all frequencies below crossover to subwoofer. Make sure all speakers are mentioned as small in setting. Play same movie again and check whether going in to protection mode or not. If not then decrease the crossover of all speakers by 10 Hz and again check. Continue same till desire result obtain. Follow same procedure for source level if require

First increase cross over of all speaker by 20 Hz and route all frequencies below crossover to subwoofer. Make sure all speakers are mentioned as small in setting. Play same movie again and check whether going in to protection mode or not. If not then decrease the crossover of all speakers by 10 Hz and again check. Continue same till desire result obtain. Follow same procedure for source level if require
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for your help. Will post back with results.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back