DENON Owners thread

Denon AVR X1200W: "No Signal" on TV after a few minutes.

Hi,
I have a Denon AVR-X1200W bought in 2016 in Mumbai.
while its interface has not been the best, yesterday after I made some some minor changes in Speaker settings while adding a new subwoofer, it keeps getting into a situation where is shows "No Signal" on TV (connected to HDMI out labeled as Monitor). When I switch it all again after a few hours...it works fine and after few minutes, it again says No signal.
Has anyone else come across this problem?

Which is the best place in Mumbai to get help on service issues for Denon AVRs?
Please help.
Problem is with hdmi pin of the cable.cgange the cable and check.if persists then it's hdmi pin on receiver side.first check with cable if fails then take it to service centre

Tried changing the HDMI cable too, but problem keeps coming back. A Technician told me it is due to moisture on HDMI Board due to rainy season in Mumbai. He advised using Hair Dryer to try n dry up the Board, will try this in a day or two.

Dear @efernand1 please suggest an authentic and authoritative source in Mumbai who can help with Denon AVRs, please.

Tried changing the HDMI cable too, but problem keeps coming back. A Technician told me it is due to moisture on HDMI Board due to rainy season in Mumbai. He advised using Hair Dryer to try n dry up the Board, will try this in a day or two.

Dear @efernand1 please suggest an authentic and authoritative source in Mumbai who can help with Denon AVRs, please.
Hi Amit,

Preeti Trading Corporation are the official Denon dealers at Santacruz west, 3, Shubhangini Building, 5 , near Milan Subway.

TEL: +919820644435, +912226108821, +912226108820

E-Mail: [email protected], [email protected]

The showroom may be shut due to the lockdown so you can call Mr. Placid mob 9920144432 & ask him.

@Nitin K has provided the contact details....please call and confirm the appointment before making the trip. Be ready if its HDMI board issue, you may need to cough up Rs 20000/- (depends on model etc) for a replacement.

Before you visit the repairer, check these videos and see if any can help you

Hi Amit,

Preeti Trading Corporation are the official Denon dealers at Santacruz west, 3, Shubhangini Building, 5 , near Milan Subway.

TEL: +919820644435, +912226108821, +912226108820

E-Mail: [email protected], [email protected]

The showroom may be shut due to the lockdown so you can call Mr. Placid mob 9920144432 & ask him.
Thanks @Nitin K , incidentally PTC guys suggested me someone named, Kunal Shah at Lamington Road! I wonder who would that be. My Dealer and one more well known dealer in Mumbai clearly told that Authorized Service Center for Denon is ProFx. Do Preeti Trading people have their Service Centre at Santacruz? is Mr. Placid with Preeti Trading?

Besides that as suggested by somone at ProFx, I tried drying up the Board blowing hot air (from a Hair Dryer) through Vents on Top of the enclosure; but it did not work.
@efernand1 thanks for the great pointers there! but when I started the AVR after a day; it worked perfectly for about 20-30 seconds and thereafter same problem again.
What do you all feel about doing a Factory Reset of AVR? any chance of this solving the problem?
I am only worried abouy doing a factory reset and then losing Internet Connection settings; I still can use this AVR for Audio application and listen to Spotify; if I do a factory reset and I lose internet settings then I wouldn't be able to connect to Internet again as I would not have TV Display (so cant punch in the Router settings etc).

Does HDMI Board cost almost more than half of the cost of AVR?
Friends, please help me choose between Preeti Trading, ProFx, Kunal Shah and Joseph at Bhandup. Thanks a million guys!

Thanks @Nitin K , incidentally PTC guys suggested me someone named, Kunal Shah at Lamington Road! I wonder who would that be. My Dealer and one more well known dealer in Mumbai clearly told that Authorized Service Center for Denon is ProFx. Do Preeti Trading people have their Service Centre at Santacruz? is Mr. Placid with Preeti Trading?

Besides that as suggested by somone at ProFx, I tried drying up the Board blowing hot air (from a Hair Dryer) through Vents on Top of the enclosure; but it did not work.
@efernand1 thanks for the great pointers there! but when I started the AVR after a day; it worked perfectly for about 20-30 seconds and thereafter same problem again.
What do you all feel about doing a Factory Reset of AVR? any chance of this solving the problem?
I am only worried abouy doing a factory reset and then losing Internet Connection settings; I still can use this AVR for Audio application and listen to Spotify; if I do a factory reset and I lose internet settings then I wouldn't be able to connect to Internet again as I would not have TV Display (so cant punch in the Router settings etc).

Does HDMI Board cost almost more than half of the cost of AVR?
Friends, please help me choose between Preeti Trading, ProFx, Kunal Shah and Joseph at Bhandup. Thanks a million guys!
Most welcome Amit. Mr. Placid works for PTC. PTC also deals in Accuphase apart from Denon. The Mumbai Dealer is PTC & Bangalore is Profx as per the link from the Denon site.
Denon Dealer Site
I would suggest to talk to Mr. Placid & find out how reliable the technician is.
Regarding factory resetting the amp, I wouldn't hesitate to try it if it saves the headache of taking it to the technician. Internet connection can always be done again. A friend's Denon would go into protection mode on starting. It was a minor issue & got solved. I'll try to find out from him & let you know by tomorrow.

Attachments

• Denon_India_dealers.JPG
    Denon_India_dealers.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi Amit,

I checked with my friend regarding his unit's shut down issue. Apparently when he put the power plug in some other outlet then it started working. Hence you can check plugging the Denon in other wall outlets. His issue has started again after some time probably because he is too close to the sea or due to moisture issues. He has also recommended a factory restart.

Hi Amit,

I checked with my friend regarding his unit's shut down issue. Apparently when he put the power plug in some other outlet then it started working. Hence you can check plugging the Denon in other wall outlets. His issue has started again after some time probably because he is too close to the sea or due to moisture issues. He has also recommended a factory restart.
Thank you so much @Nitin K for the efforts! I spoke to PTC guys today; they have a service centre at Lamington Road (and Mr. Kunal Shah is there person there). Mr. Placid doesn't work with them anymore. Person at PTC says he HDMI board is gone it is difficult to get and if we get it would be upwards of 25k; highly disappointing!

Does anyone have more idea on the HDMI Board in Denon AVR X1200W? like which chip is it built around? Does some place in Mumbai work on these Boards? are these repairable?

As suggested by @spirovious I also spoke to Mr. Joseph, sounds like a knowledgeable Technician. Joseph says he has come across many Denon Receivers suffering with the same problem and he apparently says that the main chip on HDMI Board goes kaput! He says he can work on the Board and repair/replace chips if required! Thanks @spirovious have you had any experience of main board level repairs?

I will try Factory reset tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks again @Nitin K
Thanks @efernand1
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Hi Amit, most welcome. I wasn't aware that Mr. Placid had left PTC since I had last spoken to him quite a while back. In that case if I were in your place I would give the unit to Mr. Joseph since according to him , he is capable of repairing the board rather than replacing it & you would save a lot of expense.
I hope you are located closer to the central side as Bhandup would be closer from there. Better to ask an estimate & timeline for the same before taking the unit.

Last edited:
Most denons have dry solder issue. Due to heat and moisture. Service technician can just check for any open circuit and correct it.
Denon AVR needs to be disassembled fully even for a small issue. Technician patience and reassembling it to old shape is the key aspect. Denon has a worst service design.

Workmanship in general I have seen is missing with most of the Technicians! I guess one needs passion for that. Another reason for lack good technicians is I feel is that many of us are usually not willing to pay enough!

I also have a feeling that it could be a dry solder. The person (Joseph @ Bhandup) I am in touch with who at least is willing to discuss the details (unlike Company authorised service places like PTC and ProFx) and he is almost confident that the issue is with one of the main chips (on main board) as he claims to have seen many such instances with Denon 1200; he also claims that he can replace such chips as he has full set up for SMD Board reworking as well as the stock of such chips! He also says that he kind of cannot guarantee the long term performance, as this problem tends to reoccur! (why? because of certain spikes entering through one of HDMI ports :rolleyes:)

Does anyone have an idea what chipset is this HDMI Board of Denon X1200W built around?

I had recently changed my old receiver with Denon x2700. Did quick replacement of wires, ran Audyssey and currently enjoying like that only for now as not been able to fine tune much much with settings yet.
Some queries i had
1. Receiver comes with 2 pin power connection only. But i see there is a ground pin on back panel. Can this be used normally to connect to ground wire? In Manual it says to add ground for turntable but was wondering since receiver itself does not have any ground pin and if this can be used to ground.
x2700_back.JPG

2. Is it required to connect Wifi Antenna? Receiver is not far from wifi router but being in cabinet signal though not great was still ok. Have not connected it as cabinet does does not have too much space and Antenna even if i put will be in folded position only.
If there is any user of wifi in receiver other than getting firmware updates from internet. Have already got one update so do not think it will get another anytime soon.

I had recently changed my old receiver with Denon x2700. Did quick replacement of wires, ran Audyssey and currently enjoying like that only for now as not been able to fine tune much much with settings yet.
Some queries i had
1. Receiver comes with 2 pin power connection only. But i see there is a ground pin on back panel. Can this be used normally to connect to ground wire? In Manual it says to add ground for turntable but was wondering since receiver itself does not have any ground pin and if this can be used to ground.
View attachment 58846

2. Is it required to connect Wifi Antenna? Receiver is not far from wifi router but being in cabinet signal though not great was still ok. Have not connected it as cabinet does does not have too much space and Antenna even if i put will be in folded position only.
If there is any user of wifi in receiver other than getting firmware updates from internet. Have already got one update so do not think it will get another anytime soon.
Coming to your 2nd question, yes you need Wi-Fi antenna for good signal reception. You can fold them, or turn upward as much as you can, no problem.

WiFi is required primarily for online music streaming via UPnP/Heos app and not limited to firmware updates.

Coming to your 2nd question, yes you need Wi-Fi antenna for good signal reception. You can fold them, or turn upward as much as you can, no problem.

WiFi is required primarily for online music streaming via UPnP/Heos app and not limited to firmware updates.
Thanks. Have not used Heos App yet. Shield TV is anyway my primary source of media consumption. So good wifi connection may not be make much difference for me.

One more query on cooling. AVR is kept inside cabinet. Open only in front and back side there are few large size cuts for wires and ventilation.
I have kept existing laptop cooler(which was using with older receiver) with 4 fans on top of Denon x2700 . Is this sufficient or further cooling is required. On touching , body of AVR is not hot but how can i check what is the temperature reading of AVR?

One more query on cooling. AVR is kept inside cabinet. Open only in front and back side there are few large size cuts for wires and ventilation.
I have kept existing laptop cooler(which was using with older receiver) with 4 fans on top of Denon x2700 . Is this sufficient or further cooling is required. On touching , body of AVR is not hot but how can i check what is the temperature reading of AVR?
If you keep the fan side that blows air facing the top of avr it is going to just circulate the heat inside. Get Ac infinity usb fans for best results

Ground pin is meant for strictly for Turntable usage when hooked. it can't be used for power ground.

Ground pin is meant for strictly for Turntable usage when hooked. it can't be used for power ground.
Thanks for clarification

If you keep the fan side that blows air facing the top of avr it is going to just circulate the heat inside. Get Ac infinity usb fans for best results
Yes AC infinity is one i had been planning for long time. Just waiting for someone ready to bring it in.
Interim solution - should i use a standing fan to blow air out? I do has a small a/c exhaust fan on backside of cabinet. But it is noisy so is mostly kept shut off.

Coming back to my other query, how to measure temperature of AVR. And what are normal safe temperatures.
Can something like this be used. Where would probe need to be placed?
Mini LCD digital thermometer

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back