Denon x3600H volume low ! Is this by design ?

edjamesx

Have purchased Denon x3600H recently. Previously owned onkyo AVRs.
With Denon x3600H , Observed the sound comes alive only when the volume is >50 db . < 50 db the volume is very less and could not hear the sound.
I have ran audyssy too and tried. Tried all possible settings , turning off EQ , on , Audyssy on and off etc , Echo mode etc..
The volume is same.

With onkyo AVR the sound comes alive with min 30 to 35 db , and when i turn up volume more than 50 db it plays very loud.
But with Denon min volume 50 db , and after >85 db it plays loud.

Note : I have tried with same source of input & modes ..etc with both AVRs.

Sound quality is good with Denon AVR, so i dont think any issue with my Denon AVR , Only the volume control is different from Onkyo.
Is this by design ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Yes personally have felt the same. The sound comes alive only after crossing 50 in most cases and >60-65 for some netflix/amazon streams and generally same applies for stereo music as well. I think its the volume you are referring to which is from (0-98) and not the db scale.

Onkyo starts getting super loud at a scale of around 35-40 , but then again Onkyo max volume is 80 from what i remember so on a percentage basis both seem to be at almost similar volume levels. Also what i have noticed is Onkyo post calibration sets the speaker volume to +1/2 DB gain vs Denon which puts it a negative gain for same set of speakers. That can be again the reason for reaching the required SPL much quicker on the Onkyo receiver

Which volume scale are you using? Could you switch to the db scale which will give a better idea of where the volume level is.

Referring to the second, non default option in the link above.

MaSh
i am using 0-98 scale. Can i use any other volume scale ?. Thanks

With Denon x3600H , Observed the sound comes alive only when the volume is >50 db . < 50 db the volume is very less and could not hear the sound.
I have ran audyssy too and tried. Tried all possible settings , turning off EQ , on , Audyssy on and off etc , Echo mode etc..
The volume is same.

With onkyo AVR the sound comes alive with min 30 to 35 db , and when i turn up volume more than 50 db it plays very loud.

Sound quality is good with Denon AVR, so i dont think any issue with my Denon AVR , Only the volume control is different from Onkyo.
Is this by design ?

That's nothing to worry about. In the Marantz AVR, it's comfortable at 46.

The volume is same.

Is this by design ?

...also we shouldn't forget that Onkyo's are towards the bright side, whereas Denons are a bit warm.

The volume is same.

Is this by design ?

I have x2600h for music i usually play it at 45-50 range and for movies 50-55 range source level is kept at +5, like many other fm's said increase the source level and you should be good

I just want to jump into this conversation on this volume level.
It's an individual prefrence mostly.On and average most of us will hear around -20 to -10db below reference level ( 60 to 70 in terms of Absolute scale ).
Second in case if u are listening below reference level,try checking " Dynamic EQ on " in Audyssey settings which will boost ,so that dynamics of the sound track is not lost. This feature is mainly used for users listening below reference levels.
Try checking it some people will like it some may not ,but it's worth to check it whether it is making any improvement or not.

I just want to jump into this conversation on this volume level.
It's an individual prefrence mostly.On and average most of us will hear around -20 to -10db below reference level ( 60 to 70 in terms of Absolute scale ).
Second in case if u are listening below reference level,try checking " Dynamic EQ on " in Audyssey settings which will boost ,so that dynamics of the sound track is not lost. This feature is mainly used for users listening below reference levels.
Try checking it some people will like it some may not ,but it's worth to check it whether it is making any improvement or not.
Dynamic Eq is off , and Audyssy is turned off.
After some more tuning , adjusting EQ curves ,changing speaker distance , speaker levels, my volume level now improved.

With Audyssy calibration my overall system volume is low. I tried multiple times with Audyssy setup , no change.
Even after changins cross over setting to 80 hz to speaker/ where audyssy sets at 40 hz by default. Also I don't find the speaker level settings audyssy sets is not correct, Sound is not balanced. Only the speaker distance Audyssy measures exactly.

Please set the receiver to db scale as suggested above and let us know the volume. That will give an indication how hot are you running. This current volume number makes little sense.

Also adjusting crossover, switching off dynamic eq etc will not affect volume. What's the status of Dynamic Volume? Factory reset the receiver and run audyssey from scratch for all seating position. The positions are a rectangle around your main seating position and not your actual seats. 2 feet distance between each position. Attach screen shots of your crossover page, levels page and distance pages.

MaSh

Please set the receiver to db scale as suggested above and let us know the volume. That will give an indication how hot are you running. This current volume number makes little sense.

Also adjusting crossover, switching off dynamic eq etc will not affect volume. What's the status of Dynamic Volume? Factory reset the receiver and run audyssey from scratch for all seating position. The positions are a rectangle around your main seating position and not your actual seats. 2 feet distance between each position. Attach screen shots of your crossover page, levels page and distance pages.

MaSh
ok , I have currently did manual tuning settings. will post the pics in sometime.. Thanks.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back