Designing A Dedicated Listening Room

Another thought, will it be a good idea to run B speakers in the lounge area? The distance will be around 25 feet.

Dear FMs

Since I have a lot of space left in the lounge area, so planning to have a HT/TV in there. Below is my initial thought on adding a screen/TV and speakers. I can forsee that most of the time the source would be OTT platforms rather than discs. Current stage of the construction is, the slab of the basement will be casted in 2 weeks time.

My plan is to keep the lounge area totally rustic, no false ceiling,concrete walls etc .

I guess the speaker cables to the rear can run from floor? I don't even mind if they are exposed and run along the walls.

I don't know much about HT rooms, so any inputs that are important at this stage of the construction would be of great help.

Number of channels are not decided yet, markers are just indicative.

Thanks.

1642844773395.png

Dear FMs

Since I have a lot of space left in the lounge area, so planning to have a HT/TV in there. Below is my initial thought on adding a screen/TV and speakers. I can forsee that most of the time the source would be OTT platforms rather than discs. Current stage of the construction is, the slab of the basement will be casted in 2 weeks time.

My plan is to keep the lounge area totally rustic, no false ceiling,concrete walls etc .

I guess the speaker cables to the rear can run from floor? I don't even mind if they are exposed and run along the walls.

I don't know much about HT rooms, so any inputs that are important at this stage of the construction would be of great help.

Thanks.

View attachment 66456
First thoughts,

1. Your 3 seater sofa is too far back, so unless your screen is humungous some of the effect will be lost. Plus from an audio perspective will be good to leave space at the back for diffusors.
2. Try and fit a false ceiling with acoustic tiles and run pipes of 2 inches from rack to the back of the room for future proofing connections.
3. Keep power connections on all four corners for ease of subwoofer placements
4. False ceiling will also help for atmos speakers around the seating area (Top front and Top rear)
5. You can keep the study desk behind the sofa ( a bit like naturelover's design) so you can keep that as a separate area

First thoughts,

1. Your 3 seater sofa is too far back, so unless your screen is humungous some of the effect will be lost. Plus from an audio perspective will be good to leave space at the back for diffusors.
2. Try and fit a false ceiling with acoustic tiles and run pipes of 2 inches from rack to the back of the room for future proofing connections.
3. Keep power connections on all four corners for ease of subwoofer placements
4. False ceiling will also help for atmos speakers around the seating area (Top front and Top rear)
5. You can keep the study desk behind the sofa ( a bit like naturelover's design) so you can keep that as a separate area
Thanks @sud98 . I see the problem of seating too far away from the screen. Shifting the desk to th| other end is may be a good idea. It gives me more space to place the fronts further apart, which is good I guess.

Thanks for your inputs

Dear FMs

Thanks.

View attachment 66456
HT always pulls a sneak attack on stereo. Plan for atmos speakers as well.

Hi FMs

So the time has come to start the electrical conduiting. I will be starting with the basement which has music room and HT lounge. There is a dedicated area (below the staircase) where I am planning to have the mains panel/ Servo/UPS/etc.

My plan is to add any protection equipment in this area where the dedicated lines branch out to Music and HT lounge.

I am thinking of fetching a dedicated line from the mains for both music room and the HT Lounge.

Music Room (L : 18 x W: 14 Feet)
1. Sufficient number of wall sockets (international)
2. LAN port
3. FM Antenna conduit
4. 1 or 2 wall/floor sockets in each corner
5. Floor socket for recliner, somewhere near to seating
6. Dedicated line from mains.
7. It will be a acoustically treated room.
8. Should I plan for a TV in this room? Played through laptop?
9. Wiring recommendation? Type gauge etc
10. What else?

HT Lounge (L: 27 x W: 17 Feet)

I just want to plan for a future HT lounge, though there is no other use of this space except bar cum lounge :) but better to plan now.

1. Dedicated line from mains
2. Sufficient wall sockets (international)
3. HDMI conduit for projector
4. Another HDMI conduit till opposite wall (working desk, in case I need to hook up my laptop?)
5. Not sure how should I run the speaker cables through the floor or ceiling? Do not want to go crazy with HT setup may be 5.1 is more than sufficient for me.
6. No acoustic treatment, I just want to have a screen here it could be TV or projector, I am not much in to movies.

Your valueable comments are awaited.

Thanks
Vivek

Last edited:
For Music room,
Keep options at the four corners for wall sockets so you can add a sub at any location.
Rack for equipments
Make sure the speaker wiring is flexible for positioning
For acoustic treatment, make sure there are no major air gaps (doors/windows...)
Make sure your are doors are super thick and has skirting to make it air tight
Plan for a AC

For HT room,
Add a power socket for projector at the opposite end of the screen wall.
Add two 2 inch dia casing to allow for speaker cables for the side/back or overhead channels.
Make sure the speakers can be connected at ear level.
Keep a plan for a AV rack

For Music room,
Keep options at the four corners for wall sockets so you can add a sub at any location.
Rack for equipments
Make sure the speaker wiring is flexible for positioning
For acoustic treatment, make sure there are no major air gaps (doors/windows...)
Make sure your are doors are super thick and has skirting to make it air tight
Plan for a AC

For HT room,
Add a power socket for projector at the opposite end of the screen wall.
Add two 2 inch dia casing to allow for speaker cables for the side/back or overhead channels.
Make sure the speakers can be connected at ear level.
Keep a plan for a AV rack
Thanks for the suggestions, your most of the points are covered already but missed in my post :) .

Thanks for the suggestions, your most of the points are covered already but missed in my post :) .
I am also on same boat with you, following very keep on updates and suggestions.

Here is my room
Screenshot-20220524-215824-Samsung-Notes.jpg

Current Status

IMG-20220701-WA0009.jpg

I have asked the electrician to draw a separate line for Audio room from three phase line. I am planning to use 4sqmm wire from reputed brands mostly finolex. Also all wall socket of 15A of Crabtree

Hi,

I was able to finish off the work of my dedicated listening room / Home theatre couple of months back. Could not post pics/details since I was busy.

Home theatre

Source - Reavon ubr-x100 / Nvidia ShieldTV Pro
Projector - Sony VPL-VW290ES
AVR - Yamaha AX6A.
Speakers - Monitor Audio W380 IDC for LCR.. Dont remember the model numbers for surround and atmos.
Sub - Dual SVS PB 2000 Pro.
Screen - Acoustic transparent one from Elite. Dont remember the model.

Stereo Setup

Source - CEC TL5 CDT / Auralic Aries Femto
DAC - Denafrips Terminator II along with Denafrips Hermes DDC.
Amp - Sugden Masterclass IA-4
Speakers - Wharfedale Elysian 2.
Power conditioner - Audioquest Niagara 1200.

Whole room is powered by a dedicated 3KVa online UPS and an isolation transformer.

20220820_214143.jpg20220820_214158.jpg20220820_214235.jpg20220820_214356.jpg20220820_214632.jpg

Wow, that's really nice. Probably needs a standalone separate thread so people can understand how you built this so that OP can still design his own

Hi,

I was able to finish off the work of my dedicated listening room / Home theatre couple of months back. Could not post pics/details since I was busy.

Home theatre

Source - Reavon ubr-x100 / Nvidia ShieldTV Pro
Projector - Sony VPL-VW290ES
AVR - Yamaha AX6A.
Speakers - Monitor Audio W380 IDC for LCR.. Dont remember the model numbers for surround and atmos.
Sub - Dual SVS PB 2000 Pro.
Screen - Acoustic transparent one from Elite. Dont remember the model.

Stereo Setup

Source - CEC TL5 CDT / Auralic Aries Femto
DAC - Denafrips Terminator II along with Denafrips Hermes DDC.
Amp - Sugden Masterclass IA-4
Speakers - Wharfedale Elysian 2.
Power conditioner - Audioquest Niagara 1200.

Whole room is powered by a dedicated 3KVa online UPS and an isolation transformer.

View attachment 71326View attachment 71327View attachment 71328View attachment 71329View attachment 71330

Hi @Miany

That a very lovely setup and nice room. Delight to have a look. Your HT speakers are behind the screen? How big is the room (LxWxH). Whats done on the ceiling? Do you really feel a huge improvment after the room treatment?

Is it a DIY or you got it done from some professional? Looks professionally done though. I think its better to combine both Stereo and HT in the same room, it will save me a huge amount of money, lets see.

Hey if you don't mind, how much is the total expense on the treatment?

Enjoy :)

Hi @Miany

That a very lovely setup and nice room. Delight to have a look. Your HT speakers are behind the screen?

Yes. The LCR speakers are behind the screen.
How big is the room (LxWxH). Whats done on the ceiling?

The room is 24 * 17 * 10 feet. Ceiling has been treated with Rockwool.

Do you really feel a huge improvment after the room treatment?

Absolutely. Its a must if you ask me.

Is it a DIY or you got it done from some professional? Looks professionally done though.

Its done professionally only. Since i wanted both the stereo and theatre in the same room, it was not possible to build it like a normal home theatre. The acoustic treatments were essentially done keeping stereo as priority.

I think its better to combine both Stereo and HT in the same room, it will save me a huge amount of money, lets see.

It will save money for sure. Initially, I had some apprehensions about the stereo performance in this room. I was skeptical about the screen coming behind the stereo speakers, inherently limiting the minimum amount of space between speakers. No adjustments are possible which involves bringing in the speakers closer since it will hinder the screen. But luckily for me, i was able to get an optimum position without any issues. Probably will have to do with the Elysians as well. Once properly burned in, these babies are something else.

Hey if you don't mind, how much is the total expense on the treatment?

Enjoy :)

Will PM you.

Yes. The LCR speakers are behind the screen.

The room is 24 * 17 * 10 feet. Ceiling has been treated with Rockwool.

Absolutely. Its a must if you ask me.

Its done professionally only. Since i wanted both the stereo and theatre in the same room, it was not possible to build it like a normal home theatre. The acoustic treatments were essentially done keeping stereo as priority.

It will save money for sure. Initially, I had some apprehensions about the stereo performance in this room. I was skeptical about the screen coming behind the stereo speakers, inherently limiting the minimum amount of space between speakers. No adjustments are possible which involves bringing in the speakers closer since it will hinder the screen. But luckily for me, i was able to get an optimum position without any issues. Probably will have to do with the Elysians as well. Once properly burned in, these babies are something else.

Will PM you.
Thanks @Miany for answering all the queries.

I have two rooms one is exactly the same size as yours (24x17x10) this one I have planned for casual TV lounge cum bar cum a nook for desk. The other room I have is around 18x14x10, that I wanna treat for stereo only.

Hi FMs

Excited to share that the strucuture of my new house is complete and finsihing work is going on. Need your help on the ceiling for my listening room.

Its a dedicated room of 18x14 feet, no windows, just concrete walls all around with a door (in the middle) ofcourse ;) . Since its in a basement so there is a lot of echo in this room. I hope that will be tamed with some carpet and furniture later on but have plans to do some kind of room treatment but not for now.

My query
I am going to start with false ceiling work in the house. Even though I am not in favour of false ceiling but especially in listening room there are lots of beams etc, so no choice but to do the ceiling. Are there any special materials for listening rooms or it can be done like other rooms? Channel, net and then POP and then paint. I have heard about acoustic tiles etc but no experience with those. Or is there al together different kind of ceiling for listening rooms.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back