Desktop 2.1 at around 60K?

No, sir, of course not.
But what is best solution for a desktop in a small room?
I would recommend a good planar magnetic HP, within your budget eg Hi-fi man has a fair range.
And a solid desktop amp-Dac . If external bass is important go for an underseat bass module. (I don’t have this ) specifics if you want I’ll post later in the day.

I would recommend a good planar magnetic HP
Got it!
But how about the adams? I do love the resolution of a good ribbon.
On the other hand, has anyone here paired a Maggie to a good sub?

, within your budget eg Hi-fi man has a fair range.
I'll look them up for sure, bro.

And a solid desktop amp-Dac . If external bass is important go for an underseat bass module. (I don’t have this ) specifics if you want I’ll post later in the day.
Of course, sure do, bro. Very interested.
Regards

The JBLs, surely... ! Economical, too, na? What is the catch? What else do I need to spend on? a Sub? Sound-card part I got, which brings me to...

So, I run an AIO - not a PC, not a laptop - so, I guess I really need a sound card. How does it work? Is there a good dongle-like sound-card?
I have been using LSR 305 for a long time now. They are very good for the price. I bought it for double the price as of today, when it was launched. It has decent bass. For a bookshelf, it is great.

For soundcard, you can go with focusrite, komplete audio or stuffs like that.
What is AIO?

Last edited:
Am not really averse to getting a great near-field monitor, and then pairing a good sub later. But what should I otherwise look out for that will be different from a commercial speaker?

Question for you all:
1. What size woofer works best for near field listening? (I currently run 3.5")
2. Actives or passive jingbang? (I have space to spare, albeit in a small room, but budget remains 60K)
3. What frackle would I need to make my computer's system output better?

Regards
For nearfield I would suggest 4.5"-5.5" active monitor speakers.
You would definitely have to get an internal sound card or external DAC for good SQ.
For monitors you can go for Adam A4V but it may be lacking in bass, so you will need to add a sub later on.

You can have a look at the following. The MRP is listed here - actual price should be at least 15-20% lower than MRP. I know most will not recommend Sonodyne but they are great. User and critics also love them. No harm in considering!

Hi K, sorry for the delayed response, I don't post much here these days.

How important is the audio for you at the desktop? What are the primary qualities you seek other than vocal clarity, great,clean,true bass didn't make sense to me. How loud do you want this?

Anyway generally people want in nearfield setups to keep the energy off the areas other than the intended spot, but this should be ideal for all situations.

Vocal clarity is best achieved by pushing up the range from 400-4000Hz. Too much bass muddies it and too much high frequency makes it harsh and artificial.

Without much to go on here is my suggestion if it were me, Behringer TRUTHs if they are still made. Something from QSC. I haven't gone through their websites in a while so please have a look. They should both fit in budget.

I'm not sure what to suggest here because I moved out of the desktop space a long time ago, I use my PC from my bed with a wireless keyboard and mouse, my main system provides sound for everything from movies to tv to music to anything else. As a result I don't have any secondary systems, all my old items are in storage. If you have any questions, happy to help, just quote me otherwise I might miss it.

Have fun!

Th
Hi K, sorry for the delayed response, I don't post much here these days.

How important is the audio for you at the desktop? What are the primary qualities you seek other than vocal clarity, great,clean,true bass didn't make sense to me. How loud do you want this?
I go a fair 85-87 dB at a little under a metre.
Anyway generally people want in nearfield setups to keep the energy off the areas other than the intended spot, but this should be ideal for all situations.

Vocal clarity is best achieved by pushing up the range from 400-4000Hz. Too much bass muddies it and too much high frequency makes it harsh and artificial.

Without much to go on here is my suggestion if it were me, Behringer TRUTHs if they are still made. Something from QSC. I haven't gone through their websites in a while so please have a look. They should both fit in budget.
Will check out the Behringers, yes.
I'm not sure what to suggest here because I moved out of the desktop space a long time ago, I use my PC from my bed with a wireless keyboard and mouse, my main system provides sound for everything from movies to tv to music to anything else.
that's very cool!
As a result I don't have any secondary systems, all my old items are in storage. If you have any questions, happy to help, just quote me otherwise I might miss it.

Have fun!
Thanks, man.

Hi all,
Been reading through the data provided on the Adam Audio site, and came across this in the control options:
  • High Shelf EQ > 5 kHz: – 2 dB, 0 dB, +2 dB
  • Low Shelf EQ < 300 Hz: – 2 dB, 0 dB, +2 dB
Have no clue what this means apart from that this is some kind of equaliser setting.
Can someone point me to good reading material to understand shelving?
Regards

Hi all,
Thank you for your valuable inputs.
As of now, it's between the Adam t5vs and the jbl 305/308s.
@chander

Not in for a pair of HPs for this set-up, @Tsiju bhai as of now.

@ajuvignesh bhai, would I really need an interface? Sound's pretty decent in the system i run now, I don't know if I need a sound-card/DAC yet. Maybe for a latter day, yes.

@Venkyrenga Sir, the A4Vs are well out of my budget. Maybe the T5Vs for starters...

All said, I've always wanted ribbons in my set up somewhere, and now that the TV and living rooms are set up, the desktops are the last option.

Are there any other comparable ribbons in actives? Else, it will have to be between the JBL or the Adam.

Regards and thanks again.

@k-pad if you’re already running a system and sounds decent, I don’t think an interface is needed.
There are presonus ribbons available as well. You can check out that. If you can afford, please go with adam A series. Those are better than T series.

Th

I go a fair 85-87 dB at a little under a metre.

Will check out the Behringers, yes.

that's very cool!

Thanks, man.

That's not loud at all pretty much anything will do that.

Behringers yes, but I suggested based on what you said, I personally don't recommend monitors for music/video. They may fly for video but not for music. Monitors though clear, are harsh and cold.

Most welcome.

Hi all,
Been reading through the data provided on the Adam Audio site, and came across this in the control options:
  • High Shelf EQ > 5 kHz: – 2 dB, 0 dB, +2 dB
  • Low Shelf EQ < 300 Hz: – 2 dB, 0 dB, +2 dB
Have no clue what this means apart from that this is some kind of equaliser setting.
Can someone point me to good reading material to understand shelving?
Regards

A shelf filter adjusts the frequencies above or below the frequency with a given slope. A high shelf will adjust above the frequency and a low shelf below. They have not specified the slope so I understand it is fixed. Shelf filters can help tune a systems sound immensely when flexible and multiple shelf filters are used as is provided in DSP. Hope this clarifies it.

That's not loud at all pretty much anything will do that.
Means?! :D
I still need vocal clarity, good midrange and clean, deep bass!

Behringers yes, but I suggested based on what you said, I personally don't recommend monitors for music/video. They may fly for video but not for music. Monitors though clear, are harsh and cold.
Get this point. But since mine is a mix of 50-50 interviews and heavy-duty hip-hop/jazz, I don't mind getting a pair of monitors and then later adding a sub.

A shelf filter adjusts the frequencies above or below the frequency with a given slope. A high shelf will adjust above the frequency and a low shelf below. They have not specified the slope so I understand it is fixed.
So, basically this is a hard-set equaliser that adjusts frequencies to preset parameters?

Shelf filters can help tune a systems sound immensely when flexible and multiple shelf filters are used as is provided in DSP. Hope this clarifies it.
And that what Adam Audio has is a two-step pre-set substitute to a genuine Equaliser?

Bro, if what I understood is right, this is a great starting point.

But I would still love to try and integrate the following, slightly stretching the budget:
1. A good 5" nearfield active pair with at least 50-100W power.
2. A good 10"-12" sub with at least 300-500W RMS, and
3. If I go down this route, do I need a good standalone DSP or Equaliser?

Interesting observation. A few guys who work on studio monitors reiterated the same and much preferred the Q Acoustics M20HD when it came to music. I have a pair of Hivi D1090 (i wonder whether they qualify as studio monitors) and they're a bit cold as well, albeit plenty dynamic and clear with a decent mid range.

Will get a pair of proper studio monitors and try them out for speed.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back