Desktop 2.1 at around 60K?

Means?! :D
I still need vocal clarity, good midrange and clean, deep bass!

Get this point. But since mine is a mix of 50-50 interviews and heavy-duty hip-hop/jazz, I don't mind getting a pair of monitors and then later adding a sub.

So, basically this is a hard-set equaliser that adjusts frequencies to preset parameters?

And that what Adam Audio has is a two-step pre-set substitute to a genuine Equaliser?

Bro, if what I understood is right, this is a great starting point.

But I would still love to try and integrate the following, slightly stretching the budget:
1. A good 5" nearfield active pair with at least 50-100W power.
2. A good 10"-12" sub with at least 300-500W RMS, and
3. If I go down this route, do I need a good standalone DSP or Equaliser?

It means the output level you seek is easy to achieve and even the smallest speaker should be able to achieve it at a meter or so.

Vocal clarity is understandable, not sure what you mean by good midrange, clean deep bass requires size and power. Low distortion from traditional alignments such as sealed or ported requires linear excursion which can be expensive, also deep bass requires excursion and expensive drivers. It depends what you mean by deep bass I am assuming 7Hz or so here. If you mean 20Hz it is more easily achievable. Some of the smaller,cheaper subs may get to 20Hz but it likely won't be at significant level or may be significantly rolled off. Further it will likely have significant distortion but that may be imperceptible.

Sure try it out but even for that you may find the monitors not to your liking. Won't know till you try, best to audition if you can do.

All DSP is hard set in the sense that you set the filter and leave it and it stays so based on it's preset (customisable) setting that you chose. In this case they seem to have fixed the frequencies,slope you can choose and limited the amplitude that can be customized.

An equaliser as is commonly referred to it is generally parametric EQ, in a DSP various filters are available including a parametric EQ. Generally a parametric EQ will have 3 parameters, frequency,Q (the bandwidth it affects) and amplitude (positive and negative). Here we are talking about a shelf filter, instead of being centered on a frequency which affects both above and below the frequency in the set Q (bandwidth) a shelf filter will adjust all frequencies above or below the set frequencies based on whether it is a high shelf or a low shelf. A shelf filter often comes with a slope, sometimes stated on db/octave and sometimes in Q, this sets the slope at which the shelf filter is applied, it can be steep and quick or gradual and slow.

If you are not set on maximum vocal clarity I would recommend looking for some coaxial based speakers for nearfield listening, also I would suggest not being fixed on actives. A 10-12" sub would be sufficient but blending nearfield could be difficult. DSP would help if you are willing to take the learning curve. Most people make the mistake of using DSP only based on measurements or just for the sub. I recommend doing it by ear and using it both on speakers and subs. You don't need the DSP but it can help tweak to taste. If you do decide on monitors DSP can alleviate any regrets by giving you the option to make it sound better. If this is only for PC I suggest buying JRiver, it has built in DSP and short of very advanced DSP software this is the best software based DSP I have used, hardware based DSP is better but you can get your feet wet for minimal cost and get a very good, flexible player in the bargain. I hope this helps.

Interesting observation. A few guys who work on studio monitors reiterated the same and much preferred the Q Acoustics M20HD when it came to music. I have a pair of Hivi D1090 (i wonder whether they qualify as studio monitors) and they're a bit cold as well, albeit plenty dynamic and clear with a decent mid range.

Will get a pair of proper studio monitors and try them out for speed.

I think anyone with half decent hearing and a genuine interest in music could tell you this by listening to them.

Speed is achieved by coherent phase response, extended and relatively smooth frequency response and most importantly a VERY well treated room. Heavy absorption is required. Alternatively open air, ie outdoors.

This is within your budget.

Presonus Eris e5 XT plus Eris sub 8 is also good.

But as the other poster mentioned budget monitors are generally harsh so they may not be suitable for long listening sessions. So you may also want to consider Q acoustic M20 HD plus 3060s sub.
What do you use in your studio?

What do you use in your studio?
We usually record in a rented studio, which has a pair of Adam A77H. Just for critical listening in the office we use to have Eris E5 and now we have HS5. We are currently planning to build a studio in the office with Neumann KH 120 A.

We usually record in a rented studio, which has a pair of Adam A77H. Just for critical listening in the office we use to have Eris E5 and now we have HS5. We are currently planning to build a studio in the office with Neumann KH 120 A.
I've heard good things about the Neumann amongst mixers. Seems to be the new rage after Genelecs. What's so great about them?

This is within your budget.

Presonus Eris e5 XT plus Eris sub 8 is also good.

But as the other poster mentioned budget monitors are generally harsh so they may not be suitable for long listening sessions. So you may also want to consider Q acoustic M20 HD plus 3060s sub.
Ok, I think the cost of A4V is for one speaker. In that case it is out of your budget.
You can still consider the other two.

I've heard good things about the Neumann amongst mixers. Seems to be the new rage after Genelecs. What's so great about them?
They are very clear and accurate. But what really makes them stand out to me is unlike other monitors they are non-fatiguing (at least relatively).

They are very clear and accurate. But what really makes them stand out to me is unlike other monitors they are non-fatiguing (at least relatively).
Sorry Venky, but I had a different experience about the Neumann speakers which I heard. It was a 5.1 setup of Neumann bookshelf speakers ( don't know the model no.) at a sound studio sometime back & found them to be on the brighter side which was causing listening fatigue for a recorded track. Same setup has Dynaudio but bigger speakers, hence not a fair comparison. Got to listen to a different track on those and the sound was fuller, non fatiguing and much more musical.
But it is a personal opinion and could be different with someone else. Clarity was good though.

Last edited:
Sorry Venky, but I had a different experience about the Neumann speakers which I heard. It was a 5.1 setup of Neumann bookshelf speakers ( don't know the model no.) at a sound studio sometime back & found them to be on the brighter side which was causing listening fatigue for a recorded track. Same setup has Dynaudio but bigger speakers, hence not a fair comparison. Got to listen to a different track on those and the sound was fuller and much more musical.
But it is a personal opinion and could be different with someone else. Clarity was good though.
We are talking about two entirely different speakers from the same brand. So we may not be in disagreement.

We are talking about two entirely different speakers from the same brand. So we may not be in disagreement.
I did not know the same brand owned both of them but heard that some Chinese company has purchased Dynaudio.

I did not know the same brand owned both of them but heard that some Chinese company has purchased Dynaudio.
I never knew that Neumann had bookshelf speakers or is it studio monitors used in a 5.1 setup? I was talking specifically about Neumann KH 120 A.

I never knew that Neumann had bookshelf speakers or is it studio monitors used in a 5.1 setup? I was talking specifically about Neumann KH 120 A.
I guess they were studio monitors and pretty small. I don't know the model no. though.

Just checked, they were Nuemann KH 120 A & the subwoofer they were playing with was KH 810. He has replaced them with Genelec.

Question for you all:
1. What size woofer works best for near field listening? (I currently run 3.5")
2. Actives or passive jingbang? (I have space to spare, albeit in a small room, but budget remains 60K)
3. What frackle would I need to make my computer's system output better?
I'm a bit late to the party, and full disclosure, I haven't read through all the posts on this thread.

I use a pair of Adam Audio T5Vs in my home office. I first bought a pair of Adam T5Vs and then a bit later added an Adam Audio T10S subwoofer (not strictly necessary, but makes a really great addition to the setup... you know how it is).

I've written a bit about them here (Linking in the interest of not regurgitating it): https://www.hifivision.com/threads/hello-recovering-entry-level-audiophile-here.84347/post-939521

I had listened to a pair of Kali Audio LP6s and the T5Vs, and preferred the T5Vs. The LP6s had better bass, but I liked the overall presentation of the T5Vs. I also preferred the T5Vs to the LSR305s.

To answer your Qs:
1. The T5Vs work really well in the near-field, and are good until about 6 to 7 feet away from them, after which detail and that wholesomeness (coherence?) starts to drop away.
2. For your requirement, I'd say Active. Lesser boxes, lesser complication. Which was what I was looking for myself.
3. I'd highly suggest getting an audio interface like the Audient ID4 (which is what I use). You get a volume knob, better DAC, and you get to connect the source to the speakers with balanced cables.

About bass response, the T5Vs have enough bass for enjoying music. You really don't need a subwoofer, unless you really want that really deep bass.

I'm using the speakers on decent studio stands (Ultimate Jamstands). A friend of mine who bought the same monitors used them on a tabletop first, and then bought IsoAcoustic Monitor isolation stands. He swears they made the speakers sound much, much better.

You should go to the nearest Studio Supplies shop that carries these and listen to them. They're generally really cool about auditions and comparos. They'll also make you cables with good connectors and cables (studio grade stuff is plenty good) cut to your preferred length. This is what I did for cables myself.

I have not listened to the more expensive "A" series Adams. I think that series was refreshed earlier this year. But from what I've read on various forums, the T series Adams, do pretty much everything the A series can, except that the T series is less powerful. And many say that the rear porting of the T series results in better sound (Apparently there's some issue with port resonance with the A series that shows up in measurements, but I have no idea if it's audible really).

I listen to the setup with the Adams for nearly 6 to 8 hours a day (and sometimes 10 hours), and I'm very happy with them.

Hi all,
Thank you for your valuable inputs.
As of now, it's between the Adam t5vs and the jbl 305/308s.
@chander

Not in for a pair of HPs for this set-up, @Tsiju bhai as of now.

@ajuvignesh bhai, would I really need an interface? Sound's pretty decent in the system i run now, I don't know if I need a sound-card/DAC yet. Maybe for a latter day, yes.

@Venkyrenga Sir, the A4Vs are well out of my budget. Maybe the T5Vs for starters...

All said, I've always wanted ribbons in my set up somewhere, and now that the TV and living rooms are set up, the desktops are the last option.

Are there any other comparable ribbons in actives? Else, it will have to be between the JBL or the Adam.

Regards and thanks again.
Would anyone know of a good seller for the JBLs in India?
Also, how about pairing the LSR305s with an LSR310S? Will be a 2.1 within my budget.
Regards

Definitely Q acoustics M20. Am using it, and sounds good. both for music and movies. Recommended for Gaming too. But not tried it. Can See the Review of the same on YouTube, by British Audiophile. Explained the details very nicely. then decide for yourself.

It means the output level you seek is easy to achieve and even the smallest speaker should be able to achieve it at a meter or so.

Vocal clarity is understandable, not sure what you mean by good midrange, clean deep bass requires size and power. Low distortion from traditional alignments such as sealed or ported requires linear excursion which can be expensive, also deep bass requires excursion and expensive drivers. It depends what you mean by deep bass I am assuming 7Hz or so here. If you mean 20Hz it is more easily achievable. Some of the smaller,cheaper subs may get to 20Hz but it likely won't be at significant level or may be significantly rolled off. Further it will likely have significant distortion but that may be imperceptible.

Sure try it out but even for that you may find the monitors not to your liking. Won't know till you try, best to audition if you can do.

All DSP is hard set in the sense that you set the filter and leave it and it stays so based on it's preset (customisable) setting that you chose. In this case they seem to have fixed the frequencies,slope you can choose and limited the amplitude that can be customized.

An equaliser as is commonly referred to it is generally parametric EQ, in a DSP various filters are available including a parametric EQ. Generally a parametric EQ will have 3 parameters, frequency,Q (the bandwidth it affects) and amplitude (positive and negative). Here we are talking about a shelf filter, instead of being centered on a frequency which affects both above and below the frequency in the set Q (bandwidth) a shelf filter will adjust all frequencies above or below the set frequencies based on whether it is a high shelf or a low shelf. A shelf filter often comes with a slope, sometimes stated on db/octave and sometimes in Q, this sets the slope at which the shelf filter is applied, it can be steep and quick or gradual and slow.

If you are not set on maximum vocal clarity I would recommend looking for some coaxial based speakers for nearfield listening, also I would suggest not being fixed on actives. A 10-12" sub would be sufficient but blending nearfield could be difficult. DSP would help if you are willing to take the learning curve. Most people make the mistake of using DSP only based on measurements or just for the sub. I recommend doing it by ear and using it both on speakers and subs. You don't need the DSP but it can help tweak to taste. If you do decide on monitors DSP can alleviate any regrets by giving you the option to make it sound better. If this is only for PC I suggest buying JRiver, it has built in DSP and short of very advanced DSP software this is the best software based DSP I have used, hardware based DSP is better but you can get your feet wet for minimal cost and get a very good, flexible player in the bargain. I hope this helps.

I think anyone with half decent hearing and a genuine interest in music could tell you this by listening to them.

Speed is achieved by coherent phase response, extended and relatively smooth frequency response and most importantly a VERY well treated room. Heavy absorption is required. Alternatively open air, ie outdoors.
JRiver works on youtube playbacks and other streaming services like spotify?
Or is it useful only for local files like flac?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back