Desktop 2.1 at around 60K?

JRiver works on youtube playbacks and other streaming services like spotify?
Or is it useful only for local files like flac?

JRiver has a feature called WDM driver, what it does is it routes ALL audio on your PC through JRiver. All processing etc applied by JRiver is applied to it.

Tip -

If you go with JRiver and use the WDM feature and play videos and if you find that the audio is out of sync use SoX for resampling.

I personally use older version of JRiver for music and a newer version for video, I find the older version sounds much better for music as it offers better tone and musicality, I don't know if that is important for you.

JRiver has a feature called WDM driver, what it does is it routes ALL audio on your PC through JRiver. All processing etc applied by JRiver is applied to it.

Tip -

If you go with JRiver and use the WDM feature and play videos and if you find that the audio is out of sync use SoX for resampling.

I personally use older version of JRiver for music and a newer version for video, I find the older version sounds much better for music as it offers better tone and musicality, I don't know if that is important for you.
Thanks, man.
Will try it out.
And it is good how, on their site, they insist on people taking a trial before buying the license.

Tip -

Thanks, man.
Will try it out.
And it is good how, on their site, they insist on people taking a trial before buying the license.
It's fun, but seems mostly geared for local files.

Which should really work for me, considering my tastes/no. of songs i listen to regularly would be in the 100s.

But I can't discern anything major while streaming music via JRiver. Are there any fixes for this? Or is it just bad source?

Question: How would JRiver work with an external soundcard? Will that juice up performance assuming speakers are the same?

Taking the liberty of tagging @Nikhil @IndianEars @amrutmhatre90 @keith_correa and @panditji for more inputs on JRiver's pros and cons.

Regards

Question: How would JRiver work with an external soundcard? Will that juice up performance assuming speakers are the same?

I have not used Jriver for music playback, used only to extract SACD files :p
and while playing from PC used a USB DAC.

It's fun, but seems mostly geared for local files.

Which should really work for me, considering my tastes/no. of songs i listen to regularly would be in the 100s.

But I can't discern anything major while streaming music via JRiver. Are there any fixes for this? Or is it just bad source?

Taking the liberty of tagging @Nikhil @IndianEars @amrutmhatre90 @keith_correa and @panditji for more inputs on JRiver's pros and cons.

Regards

JRiver will work with any audio, and process it. However with local files it does better, especially with analysis.

What are you looking for? I am not the expert on JRiver but if you have anything you are looking to do then ask on their forums. Maybe you mean to look for differences in sound while using JRiver compared to other players? I don't know about that but JRiver is highly customisable, if you haven't I suggest you set it up according to taste and preference. I also suggest using their analysis feature for all your files.

I use an internal soundcard. What do you mean by performance here?

To be honest I am not sure what your looking for. If you mean to tailor to taste then use the DSP.

My 2 paise on JRiver FWIW:

UI is clunky and dated. This might not matter to you just as it doesn't to me. It holds appeal to a certain "generation". ;)

Sound from JRiver without any DSP is subjectively a bit "meatier" than other media players. I like it.

3rd party paid and freeware DSP plugin support is very good. Plenty of them available to muddle around with when one has nothing to do.

Built in streaming support for popular services is almost non-existent currently. Give up on that.

As a media organizer/jukebox it works great. But if that is all that is important, you should also see if freeware like MusicBee and AIMP fits your need instead of paying for JRiver.

JRiver will work with any audio, and process it. However with local files it does better, especially with analysis.

What are you looking for? I am not the expert on JRiver but if you have anything you are looking to do then ask on their forums. Maybe you mean to look for differences in sound while using JRiver compared to other players? I don't know about that but JRiver is highly customisable, if you haven't I suggest you set it up according to taste and preference. I also suggest using their analysis feature for all your files.
UI is clunky and dated. This might not matter to you just as it doesn't to me. It holds appeal to a certain "generation". ;)

Sound from JRiver without any DSP is subjectively a bit "meatier" than other media players. I like it.

As a media organizer/jukebox it works great. But if that is all that is important, you should also see if freeware like MusicBee and AIMP fits your need instead of paying for JRiver.
It's been so much fun. :)

Indeed, the sounds are so much fuller and beefier.

Thank you

it's between the Adam t5vs and the jbl 305/308s.
Hey, what did you end up buying? If you got the JBL 308, can you let me know what you think of it? I'm thinking about getting it for watching movies. Do you think the 308P MKII is good for movies? It's on Amazon for 32k now. are they primarily designed for music production and near field listening, or can they handle film audio as well?

Hey, what did you end up buying? If you got the JBL 308, can you let me know what you think of it? I'm thinking about getting it for watching movies. Do you think the 308P MKII is good for movies? It's on Amazon for 32k now. are they primarily designed for music production and near field listening, or can they handle film audio as well?
Hey, did not get them. Still running the old Klipsch desktops.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back