Desktop Speakers - Budget 2L+ ?

On a desktop, you sit very close to the speaker and unless the speakers are positioned right (right height, is important here) you are going to hear either the tweeter or the woofer more depending one which is closer to you. A coaxial design like Kef gives you more freedom here as the sound from the tweeter and woofer is coherent here. LS50 2 as many suggest hear is a good choice here. Or else get a coaxial genelec which imo is a better deal as they are pro monitors and reliability is historically superb with a genelec.

With 2 way classic design, you can get Neumann monitors which fits your budget (and your desk)and they are technically perfect speakers. Please don’t get any active pair which is made for listening midfield on your desk.

These are my speakers and they were designed for nearfield monitor or desktop duties.
1665663789077.png
The harbeth p3esrs.

Here is a link to the Dynaudio Xeo 10's playing some music via bluetooth streamed down from Spotify on my phone using aptx protocol.
The speakers behind the Dyns are Elac Debut B6, so one can assess the size of the Xeo 10.

In your budget, you can probably get an audition of the Xeo 20 also.

What is the price of these ?

These are my speakers and they were designed for nearfield monitor or desktop duties.

The harbeth p3esrs.
This is hands down the best speaker Harbeth makes. I do not like their higher end range at all. However this one is really nice if one wants a smooth sound.

Personally I see no value in spending more than 30-40,000 on speakers if the main constraint is that they are small. Small size comes with issues, particularly sensitivity and output. Unless one is set on using the speakers native sound with only other equipment such as amp/preamp etc to color the sound there is no need for spending more than this. Getting cheap speakers and DSP will do the job in most cases. You should consider your use case carefully and perhaps spend the money on upgrades to the main system. Heck I don't even have a secondary system, I pack up everything I am not using and put it in storage.

If you are okay with a passive, check the Dali Menuet signature. It has a very nice full midrange unlike other Dali speakers. Also it is not bright unlike other Dalis.

@Decadent_Spectre : Not everyone cares about spl. There is a lot more to sound other than spl. In fact natural instruments don't go below 30 odd Hz. Anything lower is useful only in synthetic music and movies.

If you are okay with a passive, check the Dali Menuet signature. It has a very nice full midrange unlike other Dali speakers. Also it is not bright unlike other Dalis.

@Decadent_Spectre : Not everyone cares about spl. There is a lot more to sound other than spl. In fact natural instruments don't go below 30 odd Hz. Anything lower is useful only in synthetic music and movies.

There is more to sound than SPL but without SPL there is no sound. Speakers are often differentiated in the consumer space by sound signature, something one can tweak to their hearts content with capable DSP. It is notable that most companies in the "fluff' market have higher models which are larger and provide more output. There is raw capability in speakers, that is output,distortion,directivity etc, these are attributes but don't convey the flavor. Designers make this flavor and one can (and should IMO) play around with this with DSP. As such buying a small speaker which lacks in attributes but has a baked in flavor is a poor proposition in my book when it costs 5 L, only for people who can't or don't want to use DSP, instead relying on the speakers native "tuning" and whatever combination of amp/preamp etc. One can make so many flavors with DSP if you know how to use it. That is not to say amps don't make a difference, they do but it is minor compared to what DSP can do.

As for extension I believe most music is sufficient with 40Hz. Not fond of the low stuff. Maybe for video.

Hey Guys

Was missing for a few days due to work

Considering my limited space and requirement for a clutter free desk .
I tried plonking my B&W 685 on the desk, driven by Rotel and it was way too big. and the sweet spot even with excessive toe in was behind my head. My head is literally no more than 3.5 feet from the speakers.

So the onus for a much smaller footprint.

I demoed the KEF LSX II and the KEF LS550 II
The LS550 although smidge better was out due the size and my application for nearfield ,
I took a call and picked up the
KEF LSX II Soundwave Edition and the KEF KC 62 Subwoofer in Mineral White.
The LSX II due to the UniQ Concentric Driver, it eliminates a lot of issues of a Conventional 2 way design especially for my application

Could I get something better for the same money or less .
Hell Yes ...
But sometimes convivence is important as well .
The KEF has Roon Ready, Airplay, Bluetooth , USB dac , Sub out, Aux, Witi, HDMI etc.
So jack of all trades. Does everything that I need in a pair of desktop monitors especially ROON
The App is pretty good and did help me setup the speakers as well as the Subwoofer in under 10 minutes.
Used the App to setup the crossover , treble trim , etc

In terms of sound . The Highs are extended and not fatiguing and a fab Midrange. the soundstage is wide. Front to back presentation is decent however not on par with the Genelec's G3 I demoed
The G3 though excellent would be fatiguing for extended listening and the midrange was just slightly veiled compared the KEF LSX II. It did sound lifeless at low volumes
If I was sitting 4 - 5 feet or more from the speaker baffle and at 85db + I would choose the Genelec's

The Subwoofer was not really required but as the Speaker will be close to the rear wall and the LSX is rear ported , it made sense to take out low frequencies from the speakers and divert the low end to a sub

The Subwoofer is a beast for the size .
2 x 6.5 inch dual apposing drivers in a extruded aluminum cabinet with 1000 watt RMS (500x2)
Very tight and accurate .
It supposedly goes down to 11hz -3db .
However at sane volumes.
I tried a couple of Movie intros and its fantastic . Its a must buy for a smaller / midsize room if budge permits. (It costs north of 1.5 lakhs)
Such a lot of Low bass and impact from a Subwoofer that is around the size of a football defies all that i know about Subwoofers
However in terms of sheer output if is nowhere close the SVS Sb16 ultras and the Rythmik F15HP that i have my dedicated music room. and it would be unfair to compare 6.5 inch sub to a 16 and 15 inch sub
But in terms of transient response and accuracy, I would rate them on par with the Rythmik

After a lot of tweaking using the app

Using the KEF connect App I had to tweak the Sub gain .
KEF auto recommended -1db with the LSX and 45hz crossover,
I tuned it by ear and settles on 67.5 and -5db gain .
I tried several crossover points starting from 90 hz and going down . the above gave the best integration for music. especially Classic/Indie Roack and Blues

The Sub would actually work better with the larger KEF Speakers or others

KEF has taken a very unique approach for the Sub drivers
A quick read below would give you insight into the driver tech

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and time.
I really appreciate it

Cheers
F l a s h

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-10-15 at 15.57.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-15 at 15.57.21.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Congratulations @Flash - on your new setup and many happy hours of listening :) It is a great setup and your details on your shortlisting criteria is certainly helpful for future buyers. Cheers!

We await a few setup pictures to put icing on the cake!

Last edited:
Back