Devialet anyone? :D

Fyne Audio designer are old Tannoy designers who moved out after its China acquisition. they have developed their own version of the Tannoy coincident Drivers

I do believe its a good option at a very good price here
Fyne is on my radar. Need to listen :)

K-pad at the end of the day there is no such thing as perfect sound. Buy what makes you happy. And if the purchase adds to the happiness of your family, even better.
Agree with this completely. The key however is to audition especially when dealing with products that are more lifestyle oriented. If something make you happy, just go for it.

Off topic
Ignore - a last resort. :D

On topic:
Audio can be a lifestyle or a hobby. Let’s not pretend that we listen to music, if we are persuaded to listen to devices (by vested interest)
There are now hell of combination/permutations of price/performance. Through all these choices, measurements do enable one to choose wisely. It’s a different matter that we may have different taste either in music or aesthetics.

Do you measure the response in the room as well .. Curious if flat measuring speakers are flat in a room or do they need to be DSp'ed ?

Do you measure the response in the room as well .. Curious if flat measuring speakers are flat in a room or do they need to be DSp'ed ?

Speakers that are measured as flat are typically measured flat closemic or in anechoic or outdoors at 1 meter, in room the response will not be flat at LP and will require additional DSP processing.

Speakers that are measured as flat are typically measured flat closemic or in anechoic or outdoors at 1 meter, in room the response will not be flat at LP and will require additional DSP processing.

That is what i was wondering ie to get the same response in a room I assume you either DSP or need to professionally treat the hell out of the room .

Treating the room does not mean your speakers native response (say outdoors at 1 meter) will be present at LP. You will need DSP regardless of what speakers you choose to tweak the response (and phase) at LP. Active speakers are using DSP to make the speakers "native" response better but in the end it doesn't do much good at LP. That is one reason why speakers like Genelecs are pretty worthless, that is assuming you even want a flat response to begin with. It would be easier to buy some other passive speakers and then tweak the response at LP, the in built filters in the active speakers are avoided as they will be introducing boosts/cuts at different frequencies to achieve it's flat response, this way you get more headroom to do as you please.

Genelecs are pretty worthless, that is assuming you even want a flat response to begin with. It would be easier to buy some other passive speakers and then tweak the response at LP,
Have you heard the Genelec's?If yes what are the other speakers you have compared them head on and found them to be better? I have not heard them but seen few give good feedback after listening or owning them

Here are my thoughts regarding need for speakers to measure good based on my limited understanding and not necessarily w.r.t sounding good. Smoothness and consistency of the frequency response both on-axis and to off-axis angles is often is a good target to achieve from a speaker design point of view. The flatness of the on-axis response can be sacrificed to some extent if that means we will be able to get more consistent response to other off axis angles both horizontally and vertically. This will also result in smooth power response and directivity natively. To achieve these targets unwanted acoustical resonances should be controlled, the speaker box/acoustical construct must have appropriate shape to aid sound radiation, good quality drivers, and the good overall acoustic concept in terms of directivity control and other things etc should be well thought out and implemented. Finally for all this to sound good, it will also depend a lot on preferences of people. As an example, In terms of measurements, some people prefer wide directivity. Some prefer narrower directivity. The directivity is a crucial factor involved in often talked about things like overall tonality, sound stage dimensions, imaging etc.

Often, in the past, there was a misconception that flat on-axis should be the target response for a speaker. On-axis is just one direction out of all the direction the sound radiation produced by the speaker travels to. So, logically for it all to sound "consistent" the response to off-axis is often more important. Good quality drivers put in an appropriate construct (box etc) will take care of most of these things. Then comes the aspect of the crossover. The crossover also impacts directivity and therefore drivers must be crossed over with a good amount of attention paid to the directivity transitions between the drivers. Otherwise, power response dips, power response humps, and resulting directivity changes will have significant audible impact on the overall sound like harshness and general unpleasantness.

Another reason for needing uniformity in frequency response is if one wants to EQ via DSP or other analog circuits. While applying EQ, if the speaker frequency response is not consistent/smooth both ON and OFF axis, we may introduce unwanted peaks and dips in frequency responses to off axis angles. By the above explanations, it can potentially create an unwanted overall response from the perspective of a listener. Another aspect w.r.t ability to DSPiability is that the drivers should have good power handling capabilities and linearity to be able to handle boosts/cuts well.

Next comes the room. Room treatment atleast to some extent is necessary with common wide directivity boxed speakers as they illuminate the room significantly. So aspects of directivity control will play a significant role here also. In order to reduce the room-induced peaks and dips in the response, cardiodid, super/hyper cardiod type radiation patterns aim to mitigate the room interactions to some extent. the Kii3, Dutch and Dutch 8C, genelec 8351etc are some examples of speakers which incorporate above aspects into design. Floor bounce/ ceiling bounce etc will all try to 'color' the sound. Again, the directivity control implemented is important here.

These are a limited set of explanations as to why good measuring speakers are needed in general. I am stopping here and not stepping into other measurement-relates aspects as I am really tired of typing.. :D

Have you heard the Genelec's?If yes what are the other speakers you have compared them head on and found them to be better? I have not heard them but seen few give good feedback after listening or owning them
Yes, I have not compared them in an A/B. The Genelecs sound cold and extremely harsh to me.

It's hard to say what speakers are better since it's all upto subjective preference. You can buy larger/louder speakers for the price with larger horns that will have better directivity and shape the response with DSP.

I only have a 2nd hand review of the Genelec's across a couple of them their models and the consensus was it has the power but lacks the soul ie the connect with music was missing across the range. As per him it sounded good in Techno but lack conviction in vocals and suspected it lost out on harmonics.
( I usually test for that connect using the Theme song from the movie Bombay the strings, if reproduced well in a good system is literally hair raising)

I have heard the Genelec bookshelf at 2 different sound studios which earlier had Dynaudio speakers.
While I am not an expert but I felt the Dynaudios were more enjoyable with music & vocals for my tastes. For me, the Genelec's were on the brighter side .
But the thing I noticed about the Genelec's were that even though the sound engineer was playing them at very loud volumes, it did not sound distorted at all. The sound engineers really loved them though. Hence it comes down to personal tastes. There is nothing bad about them. They do what they are supposed to do.

Last edited:
I have heard the Genelec bookshelf at 2 different sound studios which earlier had Dynaudio speakers.
While I am not an expert but I felt the Dynaudios were more enjoyable with music & vocals for my tastes. For me, the Genelec's were on the brighter side .
But the thing I noticed about the Genelec's were that even though the sound engineer was playing them at very loud volumes, it did not sound distorted at all. The sound engineers really loved them though. Hence it comes down to personal tastes. There is nothing bad about them. They do what they are supposed to do.
And yes we can EQ our hearts out.

The FR and dispersion is a USP of these type of speakers. But one is not saying ALL of them sound good.( As it will depend on individual taste). The Genelec 8361A in particular has superb response. (But yeah, it's costly)

Does Genelec have an all-in-one model?
Most of their models are active monitors, right?

Cheers,
Raghu

And yes we can EQ our hearts out.

The FR and dispersion is a USP of these type of speakers. But one is not saying ALL of them sound good.( As it will depend on individual taste). The Genelec 8361A in particular has superb response. (But yeah, it's costly)
Yes, one can certainly eq the sound to one's taste.

Cheers,
Raghu
I guess both the models were active ones. Have no idea about their all in one models.

Last edited:

Cheers,
Raghu
No. They are active but not all in one. Because their purpose is to be studio monitors. They do have G series mentioned as home speakers but the main difference is option of RCA connectivity and not much in their sound.

Yes, I have not compared them in an A/B. The Genelecs sound cold and extremely harsh to me.

It's hard to say what speakers are better since it's all upto subjective preference. You can buy larger/louder speakers for the price with larger horns that will have better directivity and shape the response with DSP.
Maybe the person setting up the Speakers didn't know that Genelecs have dip switches to tune the speakers bass and treble.

The response curve can be changed as per the person's liking.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back