Devialet anyone? :D

In this case I was referring to divialet vs genelec.
I own genelec since 6 years.
Genelec are one of the best speakers around. Period. (Measures superbly meaning they are well made and engineered to sound best)

Devialets are lifestyle audio products. You need to pay more for their ‘looks’ (personally they look funny to me). They don’t measure that good as their price.

My personal recommendation @k-pad (in addition to the superb suggestion by @raghupb )

Polk reserve 200 bookshelves pair
Topping PA5 amp (class D)
Topping E50 DAC

You can have this above amazing system which is based on superlative measurements (so that you are not colored by any distortions/subjectivism ;)) bordering on a SOTA SYSTEM….and be green, saves money and enjoy a transparent music at your living room. You can off course add a sub later on for sub bass extension.

My 0.2 (nowadays I balk at spending too much on this hobby. My preference is to look at price/performance and then the aesthetics )

Thank you so much for this.
Didn't return when I searched for some reason.
some of the things owners say are scary.
Like, it requires perfection in every other place in the set-up.

That thread is in relation to Devialet amps and not the phantom speakers. Also, are you planning for just one phantom speakers or pair?

I have heard the phantoms at whathifi show, they are definitely a great piece of tech. I did not have any negatives about their sound but at their price point, lot of options open up.

At the price point of one devialet, you can explore:

1. Full one box solution like Kef LS50WII
2. Powered speakers with separate source+preamp - Elac Navis, Rethm Arka & Acoustic portrait's Kavi actives
3. Traditional hifi - probably a fully Horn set-up from Lyrita maybe?

But based on the room dimensions provided, the space may not be able to do justice for most of these set-ups. Given your wife does like the Phantoms, why not go for stereo with Phantom reactors. They can even be connected to TV with optical. So could be sweet middle ground for both of you where you can still get stereo. Given their form factor and option for wall mount, should fit the space you have well.

Genelec are one of the best speakers around. Period. (Measures superbly meaning they are well made and engineered to sound best)

Devialets are lifestyle audio products. You need to pay more for their ‘looks’ (personally they look funny to me). They don’t measure that good as their price.

My personal recommendation @k-pad (in addition to the superb suggestion by @raghupb )

Polk reserve 200 bookshelves pair
Topping PA5 amp (class D)
Topping E50 DAC

You can have this above amazing system which is based on superlative measurements (so that you are not colored by any distortions/subjectivism ;)) bordering on a SOTA SYSTEM….and be green, saves money and enjoy a transparent music at your living room. You can off course add a sub later on for sub bass extension.

My 0.2 (nowadays I balk at spending too much on this hobby. My preference is to look at price/performance and then the aesthetics )

No they are not they are mediocre at best, they sound poor. Much better options exist and measurements don't really matter when it comes to subjective sound quality. If you are not aware it is easy to make a speaker measure flat, especially with DSP which the Genelecs employ.

What brands have all-in-ones? Meaning truly PnP with the speaker, amp, dac, streamer integrated.
I think that's the right direction if it has to meet space/looks/simplicity requirements for OP's living room.
- Devialet (what triggered this thread)
- KEF
- Naim
- Marshal

My 2 cents, let's not get into "this measures well", "that is pricey" arguments.

Cheers,
Raghu

No they are not they are mediocre at best, they sound poor. Much better options exist and measurements don't really matter when it comes to subjective sound quality. If you are not aware it is easy to make a speaker measure flat, especially with DSP which the Genelecs employ.
Can you suggest a few speakers which are better in similar or lower price category?
Coz all of our choices are bad as per you

Last edited:
Can you suggest a few speakers which are better in similar or lower price category?
Coz all of our choices are bad as per you

Sound is subjective, thats the whole point. I can't suggest "better" because better is dependent on subjective preference. Some people think measurements are the deciding factor and that is incorrect.

If all you care about is a flat response then buy some cheap speakers and beat the response into submission with DSP if you have a powerful DSP or better yet since all you care about is a flat response, use PC based DSP. If people think measures well/Harman "research" (aka marketing/propaganda) is good then yes all your choices are bad.

Edit : When some people post speakers/subwoofers that are not based solely on objective criteria and/or Harman "research", but instead on subjective merit then I will be happy to consider it as a possibly good contender.

Last edited:
This discussion/argument seems to be deviating a bit off track and may not helping the OP. He has posted his query in the forum with expectations that well informed and experienced members will discuss pros and cons of different options suitable for his circumstances.

K-pad at the end of the day there is no such thing as perfect sound. Buy what makes you happy. And if the purchase adds to the happiness of your family, even better.
Quoting from my own experience:
I had the KEF LS50W-II for 4 days in my living room for a video review project (which did not see the light of day).
My wife saw and heard the system extensively. Her comment was simple.
"These 2 boxes do all the stuff that your complicated rig does. Why don't we have this as it is easy to use, host and look better?"
Honestly I did not have an answer.

OP is planning this for the living room where his spouse is gonna be doing most of the listening.
Aesthetics and ease of use matter and OP has very little wiggle room :D
So if a purchase draws family members into the music listening experience it does not matter how it measures or what not.
The primary considerations should be UX/budget/space/availability.
Please suggest and add to the list of all-in-ones that they can locally audition and hopefully converge on a decision.

Cheers,
Raghu

Naim Mu-so might be an interesting option. I have never heard it but am sure it’s available in the country. I would trust Naim to come up with a decent product.

Off topic
Ignore - a last resort. :D

On topic:
Audio can be a lifestyle or a hobby. Let’s not pretend that we listen to music, if we are persuaded to listen to devices (by vested interest)
There are now hell of combination/permutations of price/performance. Through all these choices, measurements do enable one to choose wisely. It’s a different matter that we may have different taste either in music or aesthetics.

Naim Mu-so might be an interesting option. I have never heard it but am sure it’s available in the country. I would trust Naim to come up with a decent product.
its actually very good but only if you want an all in one with inbuilt speakers . If you want external speakers then the Unity Atom is great as a Source+Amp. I do suspect all of these use the same circuitry though.

The Divaliet has an MM/MC phono as well although in essence it converts it to digital at a very high sampling rate and then amplifies it hence it may not really be a truly analogue signal.

This is also a great solution along with the Muso. Q acoustics along with Fyne audio are 2 companies that are new in UK and they have build quite a reputation here. Apparently the people behind these brands are quite good and they make great sounding gear.
Fyne Audio designer are old Tannoy designers who moved out after its China acquisition. they have developed their own version of the Tannoy coincident Drivers

I do believe its a good option at a very good price here

Back