Devialet anyone? :D

For who? The OP? It would help if he states his tastes and requirements more clearly, I'm not sure if we are restricted to small lifestyle speakers or not.
I thought he had expressed it very nicely, including a layout drawing and some specific questions. We can ask for specific clarification if relevant. Since this thread is now 4 pages long we might have lost track a bit?
Let us help if we can. Others reading these posts (like me) might also find these discussions useful too?

Thread 'Devialet anyone? :D'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/devialet-anyone-d.87298/

I'd not go towards the Devialets if it were me, for the price you can go louder and get better sound, including a DSP and a pro amp.
I guess I don't think about these things because they don't apply to me.

If you need small,pretty then I suppose Devialet is okay. Personally I'd rather get a Marshall as a "lifestyle" product. The Devialets are too expensive for what they are.

I have posted these generic suggestions, I have reread the OPs posts and still am not clear on the size limitation of the speakers, if active is required, or any features such as bluetooth or all in one.

More specific limitations,criteria is needed to make meaningful suggestions.

If it were me and I was looking for something not too expensive I'd look into some cinema speakers from QSC, Klipsch or even Pulz.

I should add that my approach is buying big powerful speakers and using DSP to shape to taste, making sure I get appropriate output and directivity from the speaker I choose. I have never heard a speaker I liked natively. This approach requires space and power, both of which are not easily achieved in the consumer audio space. For a requirement that is limited on space and power, requires consumer electronics or is unwilling to use DSP then this approach is not valid. To note with consumer audio is the limited thermal and mechanical capacity limiting the use of DSP. As such auditions would be recommended from my side before buying.

As a final note, as some have said, if this is for the wife and the wife wants Devialet then I see no reason to oppose this since it is for her and she should choose what she wants.

Edit : The above approach is a simplification of course, I do look at available specifications and speak to people who have heard it, I try to demo if possible.

I don’t know which Devialet model OP has mentioned. I have owned the Devialet Phantom Gold and Expert 200 many years ago.

I hoped a stereo pair of the phantom golds would be good enough as my main system. But apparently I hoped high, or the system didn’t live up to its hype. The bass was wonderful but otherwise I felt it was lacking in fidelity.

I had the Expert 200 after the phantoms. It was definitely an improvement over the phantoms. Yet, I found a Naim supernait was far better in power and sonics with the speakers I used, PMC 20.24 and ATC SCM19.

If the OP plans to use Devialet for critical listening, there is a good chance that he might find it lacking. But for casual listening it’s excellent. The above is based on my listening preferences and others may disagree. I now use a pair of Genelec G5 with a tube preamp. It’s not as bad as some comments here in my opinion. In fact I feel it is better that many other similarly priced speakers I have used in the past.

Some suggestions may be helpful
I have been waiting for this since ages.. :)

What good would that do? I wanted to listen to its base/native sound. If I want to tune with DSP I will buy different and better speakers.
Sir..
Its an active speaker with Dip switches which is manufactured to set up in a way the user intends to listen..
Maybe reading the manual before use will be wise

Sir..
Its an active speaker with Dip switches which is manufactured to set up in a way the user intends to listen..
Maybe reading the manual before use will be wise

And I listened to it the way I intended to. There is no point to buying such a speaker if one is going to DSP the response to taste anyway, your paying unnecessarily extra for a low output speaker, with a small waveguide at best.

And I listened to it the way I intended to. There is no point to buying such a speaker if one is going to DSP the response to taste anyway, your paying unnecessarily extra for a low output speaker, with a small waveguide at best.
Buying which speaker makes point??
Any suggestions?

Buying which speaker makes point??
Any suggestions?

My suggestions based on limited available information is posted above.

This includes "the point". People buy Genelec if people need flat then that is why they buy it (without thinking about the response at LP in room), if your going to EQ it anyway to your own target curve there's hardly a point paying for it when you can buy cheaper large/powerful speakers and also EQ it.

My suggestions based on limited available information is posted above.

This includes "the point". People buy Genelec if people need flat then that is why they buy it (without thinking about the response at LP in room), if your going to EQ it anyway to your own target curve there's hardly a point paying for it when you can buy cheaper large/powerful speakers and also EQ it.
Which speakers do you suggest?
As per your preference.

Hi all,
Thank you for all your kind suggestions.
Putting together a shortlist for auditions.
So far:
Devialet Phantom as a stereo pair
KEF LS50W-II and LSX
Q Acoustics M20
Q Active 200
Genelec 80xx series, and
Also, wanted to check the Adam actives, since I like the sound of ribbons.
Are they available in India?

And one question that everyone seems to have given a wide berth to: Is it worth fighting for a proper 2.1 set up in this living room, or should I just fold my cards?
I think the phrasing might have something to with it.
If at the same budget, we can do a passive 2.1, it is very doable. So, while I like the simplicity of an AIO, wanted to also know what the trade offs against a good passive stereo set-up would be.

PS: I am very intimidated by long chains. Here too, I'd probably try and limit stuff to an amp and probably a DSP.

Thanks again

And one question that everyone seems to have given a wide berth to: Is it worth fighting for a proper 2.1 set up in this living room, or should I just fold my cards?
I think you should fold your cards for now..You have already had your way in earlier setup.. To continue that in future, you need to compromise for WAF now.

Hi all,
Thank you for all your kind suggestions.
Putting together a shortlist for auditions.
So far:
Devialet Phantom as a stereo pair
KEF LS50W-II and LSX
Q Acoustics M20
Q Active 200
Genelec 80xx series, and
Also, wanted to check the Adam actives, since I like the sound of ribbons.
Are they available in India?

I think the phrasing might have something to with it.
If at the same budget, we can do a passive 2.1, it is very doable. So, while I like the simplicity of an AIO, wanted to also know what the trade offs against a good passive stereo set-up would be.

PS: I am very intimidated by long chains. Here too, I'd probably try and limit stuff to an amp and probably a DSP.

Thanks again

I think a passive 2.1 , with an all in one box will give you far more options in that budget.

There are some really high quality all in one boxes now - ie amp + streamers - eg Marantz PM7000N.

Pair with your choice of discreet bookshelves, and an 8 inch sub, and you have a really powerful and flexible system.

I think you should fold your cards for now..You have already had your way in earlier setup.. To continue that in future, you need to compromise for WAF now.
A satisfied and happy spouse would enhance your enjoyment of music in your primary set up, I feel.
Why not let her take the lead on this one?

I think in this case the OP has very little choice. All he can do is facilitate auditions and hope a good sounding speaker (or pair) gets selected.
Looks and ease of use matter. All accumulated (and future) brownie points have been used up towards the man-cave :p

Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu bhai to the point, as always :D

Genelec are one of the best speakers around. Period. (Measures superbly meaning they are well made and engineered to sound best)

Devialets are lifestyle audio products. You need to pay more for their ‘looks’ (personally they look funny to me). They don’t measure that good as their price.

My personal recommendation @k-pad (in addition to the superb suggestion by @raghupb )

Polk reserve 200 bookshelves pair
Topping PA5 amp (class D)
Topping E50 DAC

You can have this above amazing system which is based on superlative measurements (so that you are not colored by any distortions/subjectivism ;)) bordering on a SOTA SYSTEM….and be green, saves money and enjoy a transparent music at your living room. You can off course add a sub later on for sub bass extension.

My 0.2 (nowadays I balk at spending too much on this hobby. My preference is to look at price/performance and then the aesthetics )
Thank you so much again for this detailed post, Enkay. I'll keep these options in mind when I do my system.
Especially loved your representation of two cents, intentional or not! :D
Now, I am not anymore ashamed of my attempt at the ASR meme. You are a nerd's nerd!

Thank you so much again for this detailed post, Enkay. I'll keep these options in mind when I do my system.
Especially loved your representation of two cents, intentional or not! :D
Now, I am not anymore ashamed of my attempt at the ASR meme. You are a nerd's nerd!
I think he is Banned, not seen his post since ages :rolleyes:

Hi all, thank you for all your valuable inputs.
The Phantom it is.
('tis for the spouse,
And 'tis Christmas.
Der's no space in the
house for stereo, so,
it's gotta be mono, and
So it is the Devialet.)

Solid, secondary reasons:
1. She loved the way it sounded.

Considered:
2. Naim, Sonus.

Reason:
Just don't have space. Yeh hai Bambai meri jaan :D

One thing i forgot to ask: What's the reasonable life expectancy of an active so small, but with so much electronics inside?

Thanks a ton all of you lovely family.
A bigger thanks once again for expanding my horizon.

Regards

A satisfied and happy spouse would enhance your enjoyment of music in your primary set up, I feel.
Why not let her take the lead on this one?
Greatest answer of the thread, which btw has nothing to do with audio! Happy seasons greetings, bro. You have been a great barometer.

Back