diff between tower and satellite speakers???

Hi friends...

Can any body tell me what is the main difference between small satellite speakers and tower speakers???

Which are the best????

Thank You.

If you listen to a lot of music then tower speaker are ideal. If you have space limitation you can also look for good bookshelf speakers.

If your interest is mainly watching movies and tight on budget then go for satellite speakers.

And to answer your question to the point, tower speakers are generally better, provided you have the space and budget.

Hi friends...

Can any body tell me what is the main difference between small satellite speakers and tower speakers???

Which are the best????

Thank You.

Main difference is size,so the Bass output.Sat can sound Harsh/Bright.
Small sat cant give full freq response.

well, think of a tower speaker as a sattelite speaker with a subwoofer attached to it.:lol:

Hi friends...

Which are the best????

Thank You.
Again reason for this?
Please can we know what type of music you listen?,room Size,Budget ,you want setup for music or movies,source planned ,amplifiers you have etc?

The human ear can usually hear and discern sound frequencies from 20Hz from 20KHz.

The loudspeakers we generally use have something called drivers inside which are used to play these frequencies for our hearing. Since it is difficult for one driver to play all the frequencies, manufacturers have divided the frequencies into broad categories as follows:

low bass : 0 > 100hz
mid bass : 80 > 500hz
mid range: 400 > 2khz
upper mid: 1k > 6khz
high freq: 4k > 12khz
Very high freq: 10k > 20khz and above

You need drivers of different sizes to reproduce each of these categories of sound frequencies. For example, to reproduce a low frequency of 100Hz and below, you need a driver that is usually 8 inches or higher in diameter. Mids can be reproduced by drivers that have a size of around 5 to 6 inches. High and very high frequencies can be reproduced by small drivers that are 1 to 3 inches in diameter.

You can, of course, make individual speakers for each of these frequency ranges, but that would unwieldy and expensive. So, a floor stander usually has three drivers, each of which can handle a particular range. An amplifier sends all the frequencies to the speaker. An small electronics inside called a crossover subdivides these frequencies and sends them to the respective driver.

Floor standers are big and need large floor space. With the advent of the flat system people started using small rooms where it will be difficult to place these floor standers. In addition, it will look funny if you keep such large speakers next to a computer.

Companies such as Bose came up with the concept of a sub woofer / satellite system. In this the amplifier sends all the frequencies to an active sub woofer. Within the sub woofer, the signal is bifurcated into low frequencies (and some mid frequencies) that the sub handles by itself. The mid bass and high frequencies are, instead of being sent to a drivers inside the sub itself, sent to an independent speaker called a satellite or Sat. The Sats are usually very small and have one or more drivers between 1 to 3 inches. Since such speakers do not move much air, these units are completely sealed and are sometimes made with metal such as aluminium. Such speakers can only play frequencies in the range of 1000Hz (1KHz) to 20,000Hz (20KHz).

A satellite cannot be used without the sub woofer. It will sound very tinny of used in that fashion.

cheers

^^^^^^

thanks for da info bro....

Actually i'm not a big sound freak......i have a budget of 35000.....so i want ur guide to purchase the components of home theatre....ie specify a amplifier, speaker model no..in this budget....

Plz pardon my ignorance. Are wall mounting speakers (front & rear) are known as Bookself ?

And what about the speakers which are placed in side false ceiling. They are known as what ?

No, not all wall mounting speakers are known as bookshelves.They could be called satellite speakers or wall-mount speakers. They are very compact in size. Whereas bookshelf speakers have larger enclosures (normally wooden) and sound much better. They are normally placed on bookshelves or speaker stands and also wall mounted at times.

Speakers mounted on the ceiling are called Ceiling Speakers. There are also In Wall speakers mounted inside the walls.

Plz pardon my ignorance. Are wall mounting speakers (front & rear) are known as Bookself ?

And what about the speakers which are placed in side false ceiling. They are known as what ?

Well said Reju, SAT are wall mountables & small BS too, even wharf diamods to are wall mountable....

The human ear can usually hear and discern sound frequencies from 20Hz from 20KHz.

The loudspeakers we generally use have something called drivers inside which are used to play these frequencies for our hearing. Since it is difficult for one driver to play all the frequencies, manufacturers have divided the frequencies into broad categories as follows:

low bass : 0 > 100hz
mid bass : 80 > 500hz
mid range: 400 > 2khz
upper mid: 1k > 6khz
high freq: 4k > 12khz
Very high freq: 10k > 20khz and above

You need drivers of different sizes to reproduce each of these categories of sound frequencies. For example, to reproduce a low frequency of 100Hz and below, you need a driver that is usually 8 inches or higher in diameter. Mids can be reproduced by drivers that have a size of around 5 to 6 inches. High and very high frequencies can be reproduced by small drivers that are 1 to 3 inches in diameter.

You can, of course, make individual speakers for each of these frequency ranges, but that would unwieldy and expensive. So, a floor stander usually has three drivers, each of which can handle a particular range. An amplifier sends all the frequencies to the speaker. An small electronics inside called a crossover subdivides these frequencies and sends them to the respective driver.

Floor standers are big and need large floor space. With the advent of the flat system people started using small rooms where it will be difficult to place these floor standers. In addition, it will look funny if you keep such large speakers next to a computer.

Companies such as Bose came up with the concept of a sub woofer / satellite system. In this the amplifier sends all the frequencies to an active sub woofer. Within the sub woofer, the signal is bifurcated into low frequencies (and some mid frequencies) that the sub handles by itself. The mid bass and high frequencies are, instead of being sent to a drivers inside the sub itself, sent to an independent speaker called a satellite or Sat. The Sats are usually very small and have one or more drivers between 1 to 3 inches. Since such speakers do not move much air, these units are completely sealed and are sometimes made with metal such as aluminium. Such speakers can only play frequencies in the range of 1000Hz (1KHz) to 20,000Hz (20KHz).

A satellite cannot be used without the sub woofer. It will sound very tinny of used in that fashion.

cheers

thanks for Such a crisp and awesome explanation.

This concept could'nt have been explained better ......... ! Its pretty much basic for me now, but, when I had started off as a novice ... to buy my firsts, did'nt know all thisl! So, lucky you all!

If opting to take the satellite route ... for, either budget or space constraints, try selecting speakers with at least 3.5" dia mid-woofers. Better would be 4", if available. As a novice, I had gotten lucky there. Without knowing all info, had selected those with higher dia mid-woofers. They have served me pretty well for both music as well as movies. Of course, you can never put them in the same league to the FS ... ever. The 'body' of the music would be missing in the satellites.

Wow this post sounded very basic for me, but after going through found more informative:)

What i understand was There are two main diff in Sat and FS
Size & Drivers: Sat are very handy and small in size, can be wall mounted with max of a woofer and tweeter,Where as FS a bigger in size with big drivers and more than 2+ drivers
Freq Res:Sat Spk would have goof High freq sounds might not support the low freq and surely we need extra SUB to fulfill the movies environment but FL would support the low frequency also the High freq and no need for adding sub extra in most case

apart from these sat spk are low priced compared to FS.

soft music with low and mid volume listeners will be happy with Sat and Audiophile are mostly will be looking for FS+SUB and Dual Sub too

Sorry if my understanding is wrong

Audiophiles would ONLY look for FS or BS ........ no sub! It amounts to blasphemy! ;)

Avid,

Thanks for correcting me, i have come across the term Musical Sub:), and i too found of SUB's so commited such statement.I must have used the word "some" in my previous post last before sentance,Hum some how missed. Sorry for confusion friends

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back