Difference/confused between local cable set-top box,tatasky,airtel Dts etc..

nopes nomore possible...coz if u r forgetting the stb runs on a magnetic sim card which is unique. Its required to inserted and switch on for receiving the feeds otherwise te stb wnt work. The cable cos. sends the feed only when the stb responds with the card which acts as the sim card. so they really cnt cheat, it used to happen in the past but no more. Thats one of the primary reason why stb came into existence, apart from watching what u like and pay for it.

Most cable subscribers in India are without stb. Where I live you have to insist on a stb else you do not get one.

I have Tata Sky+ and SCV cable STB. The cable STB is more convenient in many ways. Even during heavy rainfall we have uninterrupted signal. The price is low and there are many channels that can be seen where other DTH operators do not provide like UTV World Movies or Lumiere Movies. There is only a marginal difference in reception quality between the Cable STB and TATA SKY DTH. The colors are more rich in DTH (with some channels only) while the colors are bright with cable STB.

I'm not sure if SCV would bring HD STB as Hathway is planning.

nopes nomore possible...coz if u r forgetting the stb runs on a magnetic sim card which is unique. Its required to inserted and switch on for receiving the feeds otherwise te stb wnt work. The cable cos. sends the feed only when the stb responds with the card which acts as the sim card. so they really cnt cheat, it used to happen in the past but no more. Thats one of the primary reason why stb came into existence, apart from watching what u like and pay for it.

I really found the clarity better than any other dish based cable provider, which would not have been possible if the sane frequency was being shared by 2 or more tvs.

HD is still in a very nascent stage in india, wait for another 6months, everything would be available on cable stb.

Half of the ppl wnt be bothered by HD thing, they will buy it coz they can afford it or some1 recommeneded. Saas bahu thing will say the same sick story in HD too :p and cable operators lack the fund to be invested in such technology so they wait for chinese to come with a cheaper but reliable solution :( but they will. as told by my cable operator (Manthan in kolkata, new alipore area)

I believe these cards are linked to the cable operator for authentication and not the content providers. So again, the operators may not disclose the right number of subscribers corresponding to those number of actual users.

I believe these cards are linked to the cable operator for authentication and not the content providers. So again, the operators may not disclose the right number of subscribers corresponding to those number of actual users.

Hathway/SCV - they are the one who are providing the smart card for Cable STB

no no no its linked to the cable guy but the main channel distributor.

eg. I needed to unlock TLC, so my cable took my card to its office, inserted my card to its system and unlocked the channel although now its done over the phone. moreover if u notice 2 tv sets cnt run from same STb, u can but you will end watching same channel on both the tv set. so sharing the frequency is not possible. still will dig into it nxt time my cable guy comes to collect cash.... ;)

Last edited:
Most cable subscribers in India are without stb. Where I live you have to insist on a stb else you do not get one.

unfortunately, my area was the very first localities, area, city, state(New Alipore, South Kolkata, kolkata, west benagl) in the country to implement the CAS-STB system. That time we had no choice but to switch over. We frowned then but smiling now :)

cable guys try to skip STB thing since that would kill their ill practice, sharing single connection with many...but i think CAS-STB has some implementation deadline sometime this year that too pan india...

Last edited:
no no no its linked to the cable guy but the main channel distributor.

eg. I needed to unlock TLC, so my cable took my card to its office, inserted my card to its system and unlocked the channel although now its done over the phone. moreover if u notice 2 tv sets cnt run from same STb, u can but you will end watching same channel on both the tv set. so sharing the frequency is not possible. still will dig into it nxt time my cable guy comes to collect cash.... ;)

This explanation of providing authentication to the card by the operator confirms that its the operator who authenticate. It doesn't suggest that the content provider is authenticating.

Using one STB, you could not watch multiple channels, that is as per design. Again it doesn't talk of who authenticate the channels.

This explanation of providing authentication to the card by the operator confirms that its the operator who authenticate. It doesn't suggest that the content provider is authenticating.

Using one STB, you could not watch multiple channels, that is as per design. Again it doesn't talk of who authenticate the channels.

I said channel distributor and not channel co. :) in my case its Manthan (like hathway) who again appoints sub-cable operators areawise. But I am pretty sure the cable walas cnt share the frequency with any other user.

still will dig in this month end :)

cheers!

^ That was exactly what I meant buddy. Channel distributors with operators can show lesser number by hiding some of them.

There are other things also which needs to considered apart from PQ. For example, it seems the EPG with TS is the best of the lot. Particularly, if anyone is using a pvr, a good epg is a must. Dishtv epg is a complete jokein this regard IMO - don't know if it has something to do with the stb since I have the oldest one from them.

In LCDs / AVRs, picture quality to some extent can be controlled & adjusted - for example, in my Sony Bravia, options like noise reduction/mpeg noise reduction, live color, black/gamma/white corrector, contrast enhancer - greatly enhanced the PQ to a palatable limit.

I meant hiding number of users from content providers (channels) :)

oh...still i spoke to him he denied such things, he said the stb is like normal mobile fone connection, when a call is made the serial no. of the stb and stb card no. is communicated to the service provider, on whose confirmation signals are transmitted for viewing purpose. so he said cloning of a stb card is not possible as of now.

so hence stb is one to one connection type :)

There are other things also which needs to considered apart from PQ. For example, it seems the EPG with TS is the best of the lot. Particularly, if anyone is using a pvr, a good epg is a must. Dishtv epg is a complete jokein this regard IMO - don't know if it has something to do with the stb since I have the oldest one from them.

In LCDs / AVRs, picture quality to some extent can be controlled & adjusted - for example, in my Sony Bravia, options like noise reduction/mpeg noise reduction, live color, black/gamma/white corrector, contrast enhancer - greatly enhanced the PQ to a palatable limit.

Dude all the settings except Gamma and White Balance WORSENS the PQ at the best! You only need to professionally calibrate the TV to get the best Picture. However if the original PQ is bad, you can't improve it through Live color or ACE or any other fancy terms. Only thing which can work is the TV's picture processor (BRAVIA Engine in your case) to give the best out of source.

oh...still i spoke to him he denied such things, he said the stb is like normal mobile fone connection, when a call is made the serial no. of the stb and stb card no. is communicated to the service provider, on whose confirmation signals are transmitted for viewing purpose. so he said cloning of a stb card is not possible as of now.

so hence stb is one to one connection type :)

Again, I never talked of cloning of cards or STBs. I just presented a "hypothetical" situation of operators not giving the actual number of cards and STBs to the channels.

Dude all the settings except Gamma and White Balance WORSENS the PQ at the best! You only need to professionally calibrate the TV to get the best Picture. However if the original PQ is bad, you can't improve it through Live color or ACE or any other fancy terms. Only thing which can work is the TV's picture processor (BRAVIA Engine in your case) to give the best out of source.

Again, I never talked of cloning of cards or STBs. I just presented a "hypothetical" situation of operators not giving the actual number of cards and STBs to the channels.

I think this time u got the whole thing wrong...can a cell phone retailer issue sim without the connection from the service provider??? thats the point i m making....original card is issued by the main distributor only and it is activated the same way a sim card...even if he has issued 1000 cards it dsnt matter, it needs to be activated...thus proves, the hypothetical situation is indeed hypothetical ;)

cheers!

I think this time u got the whole thing wrong...can a cell phone retailer issue sim without the connection from the service provider??? thats the point i m making....original card is issued by the main distributor only and it is activated the same way a sim card...even if he has issued 1000 cards it dsnt matter, it needs to be activated...thus proves, the hypothetical situation is indeed hypothetical ;)

cheers!

I agree, however there is a difference which I was trying to emphasize - the "SIM" is associated by the Mobile Operator. So the Mobile Operator controls the activation and noting the number. Now if the Operator tries to fake the numbers in reporting to TRAI, they might be able to do so as they manage the numbers and if they are UNETHICAL, they may do it. Same I talked of cable operators who MANAGE the subscription and report to the channels.

Now that you have clarified (as suggested by the cable operator) that the actual activation might happen from the channels themselves, we could put this discussion to rest as anyway this was off the topic in this thread.

I appreciate your time in clarifying this situation. :):clapping:

^ tata providing black mesh dish to over come that rain problem , few ppl got that with tatasky+HD, let see if that will solve the problem,

Do you guys know that Tata Sky+ HD comes with a black mesh antenna that prevents reception issues during rainy seasons by not allowing water to be retained on the antenna surface. Is this true?

I was not aware of this when I installed my STB and now I have raised a complaint with Tata Sky customer care. Have anyone else faced similar problem?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back