Digital Audio Player

utkarsh

cheapest way to improve sound quality?

Today I ripped some of my CD's to AIFF and Flac format. AIFF was copied to iPad.
iPad default music app can't play Flac file.

I have a Asus play on media player which is connected to Marantz SR5005 through HDMI cable.

Now alternately Nothing Else matters in Flac format was played on Asus media player and same song in AIFF format was played on iPad which was connected to SR5005 via USB. There was night and day difference in the SQ.
Now I played same mp3 on Asus and iPad again iPad SQ was much better. I did this exercise for different songs and got same result. The EQ on iPad was Flat and Sound check in settings was off.

While playing songs on iPad Mids were tight & muscular. Cymbal shimmer was cleaner,sharper, and more metallic. Piano and Strumming of Acoustic Guitar was more convincing.

Now I'll not use Asus Media player for Music. So suggest a media player which is good in overall musicality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
none of the mainstream media players will sound good, no matter what u buy, all of them have really crappy DACs, but then what do you expect at that price? They are all based on the realtek SOCs which are known for their economy, low power consumption and file compatibility, not quality. I know, u r using the sr5005 DAC when playing through HDMI, but it doesn't matter, they still sound really crappy. I have the same problem with the xtreamer sidewinder which is based on the same family of realtek chip. maybe, although I am not sure, things might be better in the premium sigma designs model like the Dune range of models but I have my doubts.

The right thing will be to invest in a good DAC, there are many, even in lower budgets, get a DAC with SPDIF input so that you can use it with your Asus optical out. At the entry level look at the Audioengine D1 at 13.5k in Baajao...or the Fiio range in hifimart.com....

btw this looks damn interesting...maybe just the thing u need..

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owne...media-player-pcm1798-tube-dac-made-music.html

Last edited:
I know, u r using the sr5005 DAC when playing through HDMI, but it doesn't matter I am not sure, things might be better in the premium sigma designs model.
The right thing will be to invest in a good DAC
If DAC is connected via optical/HDMI/coax - i.e. digital then only receiver's DAC will be used which the receiver will convert to analogue and amplify.

If i plug into phono sockets then inbuilt DAC will be not used - Receiver will just amplifying a signal that's already analogue.

Now the question is which option will sound better and which DAC can improve musicality? I can think of Logitech SBT, Sonos ZP90, VDAC or some Sigma Chip Media Player.

Anyone using DAC with AV Receiver can elaborate on this.

This question seems to be too difficult no replies. I'll start a new thread by simplifying the question.

This question seems to be too difficult no replies. I'll start a new thread by simplifying the question.

U put the sigma designs media player in the same bucket..as I said before from my experience of media players with both realtek (xtreamer) and sigma designs (wdtv) that all of them have pretty weak sound, since the problem crops up even when using hdmi out, it has be how they are extracting the digital signal itself from the file, I am not too well versed with the technicalities, maybe some other member can help.

So if you are a discerning listener and want to play digital files, one has to invest into a either a ready box option line marantz NR7004 etc. Or create a setup using a high quality DAC+a decent media player, there is no way out. Among cheaper options you also have the logitech squeezebox which is known for its sound quality, it should set u back by 20k or thereabouts, but the cambridge entry level amp (dacmagic 100) is reportedly better than that, and sells for 23k I think..just by adding that you will see a significant improvement in the sound quality from the asus player. Just yesterday I bought a audinst mx1 dac+headphone amp with my AT AD700 headphone, and when I connected that to my AE2 speakers earlier connected to my laptop to the line out of the audinst there was a really huge difference in sound quality, it was very apparent, one doesn't even need to listen hard.

So the question is not difficult, a dedicated dac would really help, now it depends on your budget which one you are ready to buy. Given that you are using the avianos, they traditionally pair well with cambridge audio products.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

So if you are a discerning listener and want to play digital files, one has to invest into a either a ready box option line marantz NR7004 etc. Or create a setup using a high quality DAC+a decent media player, there is no way out. Among cheaper options you also have the logitech squeezebox which is known for its sound quality, it should set u back by 20k or thereabouts, but the cambridge entry level amp (dacmagic 100) is reportedly better than that, and sells for 23k I think..just by adding that you will see a significant improvement in the sound quality from the asus player. Just yesterday I bought a audinst mx1 dac+headphone amp with my AT AD700 headphone, and when I connected that to my AE2 speakers earlier connected to my laptop to the line out of the audinst there was a really huge difference in sound quality, it was very apparent, one doesn't even need to listen hard.

So the question is not difficult, a dedicated dac would really help, now it depends on your budget which one you are ready to buy. Given that you are using the avianos, they traditionally pair well with cambridge audio products.

If I use External DAC and feed analogue signal to AV receiver with Direct Mode then receiver amplifier will be used which I don't think is so powerful to produce good SQ.
I'm wondering whether adding a power Amp can solve purpose.

DAC -> AV receiver (direct mode) -> power Amp.
At the moment budget is not a concern I will decide what to buy when I get the solution.

If I use External DAC and feed analogue signal to AV receiver with Direct Mode then receiver amplifier will be used which I don't think is so powerful to produce good SQ.
I'm wondering whether adding a power Amp can solve purpose.

DAC -> AV receiver (direct mode) -> power Amp.
At the moment budget is not a concern I will decide what to buy when I get the solution.

Dude..I am pretty sure the problem is not with amplification here..its to do with the source..the real and most reliable solution to a better sq will be to add a better source, since budget is not a concern you can add a network player from a reputed hifi brand like marantz/CA..

Your question got me thinking pretty hard as to why we have this problem despite using hdmi out..and I can think of another reason why the sq is poor..a bad software...we see this in our pcs also, all the media playing software don't give the same sq, I am not sure what kind of options one has to use an alternative audio player in the asus, but that is something you can explore to see if sq improves..

Your question got me thinking pretty hard as to why we have this problem despite using hdmi out..and I can think of another reason why the sq is poor.

I think it all depends on the source DAC/Chip you are using to feed the Amp. A Oppo BDP 95 or Cambridge Audio 751BD a audiophile Blu ray player will give different SQ cheap sony Blu ray player. We have to find the the best source and amp which can give best SQ.

I think it all depends on the source DAC/Chip you are using to feed the Amp. A Oppo BDP 95 or Cambridge Audio 751BD a audiophile Blu ray player will give different SQ cheap sony Blu ray player. We have to find the the best source and amp which can give best SQ.

but when we are using hdmi out the DAC is not coming into the picture at all, the problem is elsewhere...

Re: cheapest way to improve sound quality?

sorry, need some confirmation here.
Are you saying that in both cases the DAC was same, and only digital signal went from players to avr?
Did the AVR also act as a player when using ipad as a source? Connecting via usb? Maybe you can put the files on a usb thumb drive and see if the results are consistent, in case avr is pulling file from ipad and then playing it locally.

Today I ripped some of my CD's to AIFF and Flac format. AIFF was copied to iPad.
iPad default music app can't play Flac file.

I have a Asus play on media player which is connected to Marantz SR5005 through HDMI cable.

Now alternately Nothing Else matters in Flac format was played on Asus media player and same song in AIFF format was played on iPad which was connected to SR5005 via USB. There was night and day difference in the SQ.
Now I played same mp3 on Asus and iPad again iPad SQ was much better. I did this exercise for different songs and got same result. The EQ on iPad was Flat and Sound check in settings was off.

While playing songs on iPad Mids were tight & muscular. Cymbal shimmer was cleaner,sharper, and more metallic. Piano and Strumming of Acoustic Guitar was more convincing.

Now I'll not use Asus Media player for Music. So suggest a media player which is good in overall musicality.

Re: cheapest way to improve sound quality?

Are you saying that in both cases the DAC was same, and only digital signal went from players to avr?
Asus media player was connected via HDMI.
iPad was connected to AVR USB socket.

Did the AVR also act as a player when using ipad as a source?
I don't think AVR act as a player i was controlling the iPad music app through my iPhone
Maybe you can put the files on a usb thumb drive and see if the results are consistent, in case avr is pulling file from ipad and then playing it locally. FLAC or AIFF files are not played when USB drive is connected. I get similar result when playing MP3 files from USB drive.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back