Digital audio transport to external DAC

robin3989

Hello,

Are there devices that read the MP3/FLAC/WAV files from usb flash drives or SD cards and transport to digital coaxial/optical/usb outputs, which will be then fed to an external DAC? Does such things exist?

Thanks,
Robin R

Hello,

Are there devices that read the MP3/FLAC/WAV files from usb flash drives or SD cards and transport to digital coaxial/optical/usb outputs, which will be then fed to an external DAC? Does such things exist?

Thanks,
Robin R
Most of ht receivers have this capability however; you will have to use hdmi to coax converter.

I have a Panasonic Blu-ray that reads from sd card and has coax.
Best would be using a computer and buying a usb to spdif converter.

cambridge audio cxn v2 can be used as only network player any idea

You can. It plays files out of a connected HDD or through AirPlay. But it would be an overkill to employ a CXN just for this purpose. Its full value is realised when you use Internet streaming services (esp. hi-res) and internet radio natively, as well as as a DAC for transport.

Hello,

Thanks,
Robin R
Have you decided on something? A couple of good options suggested. What is your budget and the rest of the setup?

MaSh

You can. It plays files out of a connected HDD or through AirPlay. But it would be an overkill to employ a CXN just for this purpose. Its full value is realised when you use Internet streaming services (esp. hi-res) and internet radio natively, as well as as a DAC for transport.

What is the best option if you just want to use it for local play back ( hard disk/ SSD) and streaming from Tidal ( high res/MQA) and dont want to use the DAC. I mean for a person who has a good DAC.I am aware of couple of option like Allo, Aurender and Auralic.
Last two option has very expensive models. I am looking for something in the price range of CXN but want some option in which entire money is used for local digital play back and streaming.IN CXN some money sis spent for DAC section. My Oppo 103 does all these but I feel
it lacks lot of things compared to playing local CD.

Most of ht receivers have this capability however; you will have to use hdmi to coax converter.

I have a Panasonic Blu-ray that reads from sd card and has coax.
Best would be using a computer and buying a usb to spdif converter.

I'm much more inclined towards Blu-ray players, as they can also be used for movie watching. Also they come with a remote control, enable easy switching between tracks. I will check the used market first to see if BDP's are put up for sale, as my budget is low.

Rasp Pi with many HATs available.

or

the Allo family

After spending sometime understanding Raspberry pi equipped with HATs and it's amazing capability to be a hi-fi audio source, i feel i have to wait for some more time to see it become a viable product in terms of user interface, power supply.

Have you decided on something? A couple of good options suggested. What is your budget and the rest of the setup?

MaSh
MaSh, i'm not planning to invest more on the audio streamer, as i have to buy a decent DAC & a sub. So, the budget is to spend as less as possible, less than 10k. Current setup: iPhone 6S --> Musical Fidelity A1 --> Fluance SX6 Bookshelf.

I have the 3.5mm to RCA converter cable to play the audio files directly from the iPhone. I previously had SMSL SA98, recently bought an used A1 locally. The speakers were sounding neutral once, but ever since i connected them to A1, the sound is clear, more detailed but too bright and cannot listen for more than 30 mins. I'm planning to add a subwoofer as well in an assumption that it will warm up a bit.

Look at cayin idap6 transport if u really need for local USB or memory card. It is not the perfect streamer though. I'm using this transport. I'm quite happy.

Hello,

Thanks,
Robin R
Try soundaware D200

I'll check FORSALE section to see if BDPs are available for sale. Otherwise, i will check one of the allo products, digione!

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back