Digital Music Players v/s CDP

TaureanBull

I have been brooding over the media source for my planned stereo system. The dilemma is how to feed the amp? CDP seems to be an obvious choice for any audiophile setup. But, CDP has its own downsides. Some of them are:-
-Selected formats.
-Needs frequent changes to play songs.
-Scratches over period of time.
-By no means a cheaper piece of equipment in setup.

I have been doing some research on the Digital Media Players as an alternative to CDP since my 90% collection is in FLACs and balance in 320mp3. :eek:hyeah: Balance of my CD collection also I would be ripping to lossless.

My search has identified the following:-

- Logitech Squeezebox touch.
- Sonos Controller.

Both of them are no cheaper option than a CDP options but overcomes the many disadvantages of CDPs. The flexibility is tremendous.

I have certain questions though:-

1. How is the SQ vis-a-vis CDP?
2. Is there a need for a DAC even if there is a DAC in the amp. (Assuming that the DMP DAC is bypassed. I assume they are not very competent).
3. Any user feedback by the persons using these products?

Hey guys no word from anyone?

I even found that the output of squeezebox is better than that of CD. It was a review article on stereophile.

IMO this is a real threat to CDPs.

TaureanBull, there are a number of threads where this comparison has been discussed in detail, as early as last fortnight.

Please search.

Cheers

hi,,,,

the new kid is the marantz ki pearl lite CD player (1000SGD), just too good no words.it also acts as DAC with its inputs. a real good buy

logitech squeeze box,, good if you have a NAS. Any day better than media players.

my personal setup is like this

rotel 1520, marantz ki pearl cdp, logitech squeeze box, media server, NAS.

all the digital inputs are routed to marantz.

the DAC of Marantz is better than squeeze box.

my suggestion to you buy the ki pearl lite cd player and use it as DAC also.

musicmaya

Did you get a chance to compare the MKI with an analog source like a TT? Even a low end TT sounded more natural and relaxed to me than a CD6002.

-G

what amp do you have that has a dac?

Convenience of a media player trumps SQ of cdp at least in the budget range. I have an appletv and I find using it much easier and fun than my cdp.

Both products have favourable reviews from users and the Touch is cheaper than the Sonos . There are quite a lot of SQ Touch users who are happy with ths product and some feel that the internal DAC is as good as a Dacmagic.You may have to spend a lot more on an external DAC to improve on the SQ Touch. My friend does not feel that there is a significant difference between his CD player and the Touch - this is his opinion.

Both products have favourable reviews from users and the Touch is cheaper than the Sonos . There are quite a lot of SQ Touch users who are happy with ths product and some feel that the internal DAC is as good as a Dacmagic.You may have to spend a lot more on an external DAC to improve on the SQ Touch. My friend does not feel that there is a significant difference between his CD player and the Touch - this is his opinion.

This is exactly what I have also researched and found out. Now the problem is that people have even claimed its DAC to be as good as DACMAGIC (like what you also said). It means that if I opt for DAC than I should be looking above this level. I dont have budget for a DAC more than a DACMAGIC /Emotiva XDA-1.

Actually, I also want someone to comment on the SQ of Squeezebox as a firsthand user and suggestions for a DAC. I am planning to use them with Marantz PM6003 amp. I am not sure how will this system sound.

Actually, I also want someone to comment on the SQ of Squeezebox as a firsthand user and suggestions for a DAC. I am planning to use them with Marantz PM6003 amp. I am not sure how will this system sound.

Hi TaureanBull,

I have considered buying a SQ Touch but don't have a lot of FLAC files and dont fancy converting all CDs to FLAC at present,hence plans for a Touch are on hold. My CD player's gone bust and I am using a Sony PS1 as the source and am happy with it - If I were to buy a source ,I'd go for a SB Touch as most users have favourable comments.

You could try searching on the slimdevices/logitech forums for more reports about the SB Touch and maybe ask about your thoughts re CD player vs SB Touch.

Good luck.

Any idea if I would need a DAC? Should I be using Squeezebox DAC or bypass it?

TaureanBull,If I were to buy a Touch,I would definitely listen to it for a considerable period of time using just the in built DAC before going for an external DAC. You would probably need to pay more for eg double the price of the Touch for a better DAC - whether this is worth it,I am not sure....

There are various ways to upgrade a Touch - some guys do a upgraded power supply(Teddy Pardo Linear Supply I think) and claim that with this the Touch is equivalent to a CD player in the range of 2K pound which is nearly Rs.147,000 . I would take this with a pinch of salt but this is the kind of stuff they mention when you look at upgrades and this doesnt take a DAC into the consideration yet
Audiocom International

If you were to buy a touch,you need to give it a decent period of time to listen to it before deciding whether you need an additional DAC.

You may want to either join the following forum/ask questions re the quality of the DAC to existing users - it's the squeezebox forum.

Squeezebox Touch - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

Take care.

Agree with Kendun.

I am not sure about the Squeezebox Touch as I have not heard it. But a few fellow-audiophiles and I compared the Squeezebox Duet's DAC with a Beresford Caiman and found them to be of similar SQ. Conclusion was that one would have to spend on a higher spec/price DAC or just use the SB Duet's onboard DAC - which in itself is pretty good.

As per my reading online, I have read that SB Touch has an even better DAC. So IMO, don't look at any of the sub-$1k DACs with the exception of the Emotiva XDA-1 as it is a giant killer like most Emotiva products.

Guys, anyidea where in India (specially around Delhi or shipping to Delhi) can I get Squeezebox Touch?

The website does not show availablein India. Amazon does not ship this product to India. 20N IMO is quoting too high a price at 26K.

What should be the price I should be looking to pay if it is listed at $299 at US site?

Not sure if you want to go for the touch model only.. but the Squeezebox Duet is $169 on amazon only for today.. dont miss out!

Last edited:
Hi folks:

If most of the music library is in FLAC and decent MP3 then choices would be have them on a good NAS drive such as Synology or Qnap and then hook them up to a Sonos system through the router. CR200 is merely a controller. If you have a good stereo system you would need a Zone Player ZP90 which outputs to the Receiver/Amp. Control using a CR200 or a Sonos app on iPod/iPhone. There is nothing like Sonos for multi-room wireless! Using Sonos controller is really addictive!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back