Disappointed with the noise out of the speakers

Maybe I'll go there again and listen to all other options. However I kinda liked the sound signature of KEF. Polk is an American Brand and what I know about American brands is they are loud. I don't listen to loud music with 'Boomy' bass. My major concern is if it's a good choice to go for these speakers and use them as fronts? Considering future upgrades I am not very keen on placing such costly speakers for surrounds. Should I ask him to get me a bookshelf like KEF Q150?

Also what do you guys think of the price quoted to me?

Maybe I'll go there again and listen to all other options. However I kinda liked the sound signature of KEF. Polk is an American Brand and what I know about American brands is they are loud. I don't listen to loud music with 'Boomy' bass. My major concern is if it's a good choice to go for these speakers and use them as fronts? Considering future upgrades I am not very keen on placing such costly speakers for surrounds. Should I ask him to get me a bookshelf like KEF Q150?

Oh just noticed the kefs are dipole surround speakers. Nope they are Not for front speaker duties. Good for surround, but Not for fronts.

Kef q150 would work too. But get 2 pairs so that you have the same all around. Or get a slightly bigger version for the fronts and 150 for surrounds. That said, being a kef owner, I would still advice an All QA setup.

Polk are bright speakers but sound balanced with marantz. But yes, after liking kef you wouldn't like anything else. QA are very good too.

MaSh

If I may ask, why can't these speakers be used as front speakers?
It's designed to be a dedicated surround speaker. It's designed to give an immersive environment feel, whereas the speakers are designed to give a more pin point directional sound so that when there is panning of sound from left to right and back its crystal clear. A dipole will not give that accurately.

That said, nothing's stopping anyone from using any speaker for any purpose other than what the designed intended to.

MaSh

Suggest you hear them with your favourite music or movie clip and decide.......they may be a bit bright but when paired with Marantz, they work well and RTiA1 has clean bass....just right....not too loud or boomy......I used a pair for 2 years and then upgraded.......(I keep changing my speakers every 2/3 years to try whats available and best in the market).

I have owned KEF Q300 and Q500 earlier paired with Marantz. It was detailed and exciting initially, but will cause ear fatigue on prolonged listening. Bad recordings sound pretty bad, good ones sound excellent. So try auditioning the new Q350 at least for 30-40 mins with different sorts of recording, good ones, bright/bad ones and see if you are liking it.

Hello folks

I changed my mind about KEF today and went for Q Acoustics Concept 20 instead. I auditioned KEF Q350 and found them piercing my ears after about 20 minutes of listening to them. The dealer had the fresh shipment of Q Acoustics Concept 20 unloaded in front of me and what do I say; They are gorgeous. The piano finish is trendy and looks premium. I had them hooked to a Marantz immediately and boy did it make the room alive. The vocals sharp crisp. You can hear every beat of the drums, every strum of the guitar vividly.
I played an Andrea Bocelli song and with the sound I could imagine him sing with his entire orchestra in front of me. As impatient as I am I had them booked immediately with a Polk 10inch Sub.

I have already spent thrice the budget I had planned and I don't think I'll stop anytime soon. I can now say I am addicted to the world of HiFi. Not just the sound, the science behind it, the machines, the technology. I love everything about it.
I am greatly thankful to this community for introducing me to the exciting world of HiFi audio.

Well..glad that your issue is resolved and you are happy.....yes the Hifi quest is huge......you can end up spending more than you thought but as long as it makes you happy...why not!

Congrats on the new setup...post pics if possible and also write down a review from your perspective

@Ispahir Congratulations. Very good choice of speakers. Now once you get them, do spend some time on placement and perhaps room acoustics (if needed). Enjoy.

They will be delivered tomorrow however it will take me sometime to have stands ready for them. I am visiting parents in a week's time and I was hoping I can ask my dad to spin magic on his Lathe Machine and build me a pair of stands.

@Ispahir Congratulations. Very good choice of speakers. Now once you get them, do spend some time on placement and perhaps room acoustics (if needed). Enjoy.
Slowly and gradually I sure will do it. I am sure it will keep me busy in my spare time.

Ahh finally. Great choice. Concept 20 are lovely speakers. Glad you picked them up. Congratulations.

MaSh

I tried switching the speakers but didn't help. I've not tried changing the wires yet. I also ran Audyssey a couple of times. I switched modes as well. When I switch to multi-channel mode the noise is there on all speakers
Check the earth (current) leakage, face same problem & after proper earthing done distortion gone.

Finally setup is complete and I can't take eyes off them nor can't get enough of them. I uploaded a few pics. I am putting the Wood Cabinet on sale as I had it built as per my last setup. I will replace it with a smaller cabinet and speaker stands. Anyone interested in buying the cabinet is most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20190529_181842.jpg
    IMG_20190529_181842.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190530_130659.jpg
    IMG_20190530_130659.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20190530_130719.jpg
    IMG_20190530_130719.jpg
    664.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20190530_130728.jpg
    IMG_20190530_130728.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 41
Finally setup is complete and I can't take eyes off them nor can't get enough of them. I uploaded a few pics. I am putting the Wood Cabinet on sale as I had it built as per my last setup. I will replace it with a smaller cabinet and speaker stands. Anyone interested in buying the cabinet is most welcome.

Nice .....enjoy the experience

After going through the specifications of Q Acoustics Concept 20 I noticed their nominal impedance is 6Ohms and my receiver is set at 8Ohms by default. Should I change the settings of the receiver to 6Ohms impedance or just leave it the way it is?

If there’s a possibility to do so, audition the Castle Knight 2 speakers. They are in the price range and at 90db and 8 ohm they sing easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
After going through the specifications of Q Acoustics Concept 20 I noticed their nominal impedance is 6Ohms and my receiver is set at 8Ohms by default. Should I change the settings of the receiver to 6Ohms impedance or just leave it the way it is?

If the AVR is not heating up then no issues.....else recommended that you make the change and see if there is any difference.....

Impedance does not remain constant for any speaker....it keeps changing at various outputs etc.....hence nominal values are mentioned by most brands

Back