Disney hotstar imax enhanced

I wrote mails to LG and spoke to customer care on why no 4k and 5.1 unavailable on OLED whereas cheapo 25k android TVs can play 5.1 over ARC.
And they r clueless,standard answer is,we have fwded ur query to the team....
Only the 2021 LG Evo OLED plays Dolby vision and 5.1 thru inbuilt app.
These big cos hardly do anything to improve their in built apps

I wrote mails to LG and spoke to customer care on why no 4k and 5.1 unavailable on OLED whereas cheapo 25k android TVs can play 5.1 over ARC.
And they r clueless,standard answer is,we have fwded ur query to the team....
Only the 2021 LG Evo OLED plays Dolby vision and 5.1 thru inbuilt app.
These big cos hardly do anything to improve their in built apps
and still insisting on putting their shitty inhouse os on the TVs instead of android tv

Eh?
55C8 which is a 2018 model plays 5.1 over ARC from natively hosted Netflix/Amazon/Apple apps.
Only on Hotstar/SonyLiv it defaults to stereo

Cheers,
Raghu

Just noticed that Hotstar app for LG OLED is now playing in 4KHDR,Dolby vision, but still no 5.1.
Why do they release such half baked updates?

What is best option to play Hotstar 4K imax - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K -->> Mi TV QLED 75 or directly through Mi TV QLED 75 Hotstar app?

Fire TV Stick is connected to TV HDMI and audio is through ARC (non-4K, non-eARC AVR).

Last edited:
Or may be just buy a Sony TV and be tension free. Android Tv may have other kind of bugs but these kind of issues i havent yet encountered on a sony.
I don't think there are any unresolvable bugs about android tv or the now newer Google tv that I am aware of... Anything specific you have in mind? Also I think Sony is moving to android tv if i remember right

I don't think there are any unresolvable bugs about android tv or the now newer Google tv that I am aware of... Anything specific you have in mind? Also I think Sony is moving to android tv if i remember right
I dont know any bugs but people may say. I am just guessing Fans of Tizen, WebOS may have some valid concerns with android. What i can say is i have a 2018 Sony XE9300 and i am a happy cusomer for its OS

I think at the end of the day, one buys a TV for its display and processing capabilities and not its OS. For OS you have a 3-4k solution in any android box or fireTV will resolve, so why bother about the TV OS.

I think at the end of the day, one buys a TV for its display and processing capabilities and not its OS. For OS you have a 3-4k solution in any android box or fireTV will resolve, so why bother about the TV OS.
I guess the core issue here is why even invent smart TVs . With so many bugs around Manufacturers should leave all TVs dumb, save on R&D costs and make TVs cheaper for the market. Android boxes should take over to make them smart. life will be much simpler :)

Not entirely true. The magic happens when the Image Processor and the OS kernel works in tandem. Running the Apps directly on TV gives them direct access to Tv hardware reducing the processing delay and resulting in a better overall Picture/Sound fidelity.

Till a couple of years ago Google/Amazon/Apple were fighting silly by not supporting some apps.
With the rise of OTT, I think these games are going to stay for a while.
WebOS, which LG uses, does get the updates eventually. It is just that some OTT services don't want share their SDKs soon enough.

As an OS, WebOS is quite good. Very rarely freezes or slows down.
In 2018, while choosing between LG or Sony OLED, Sony's (Android) was noticeably sluggish.
Things may have improved since.
BTW, WebOS comes from Palm computing, a major player in lightweight OS back in the day.

On a side note, I do agree with @OM_2K19's point. We see it all the time in networking equipment.
Every NOS is tightly coupled to the product/platform. Maybe its the same in multimedia processing too.

Cheers,
Raghu

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back