DIY: Advice on Hi Fi Rack

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

I need your help in making a rack myself, I got some quotes for some racks and they are quite expensive and not easy to ship as well, so though of now doing it myself.

I have currently no clue what all options are available in the market. I am interested to have wooden shelves around 1.5 to 2 inches in thickness. The problem I am facing with the wood is that its hard to get seasoned wood at my place. I inquired about Sheesham/Teak but thats not seasoned. Do you know where I can get seasoned wood plankes? or whats the replacement for that? I want to avoid the ply board and veeners.

I am ok to have thread rods as supports, but again not sure where they are available, or have to be custom made in workshop. I have something like the below rack in my mind but not that wide. The pure thread rods are bit rustic/industrial looking, are there any coverings/housing for the rods? I would be very grateful to you if any one could guide me on how to start on this.

To summarise, I am looking for advice on the following (What/Where to buy)

1. Shelf material
2. Support rods/covers/housing for rods
3. Feet/spikes
4. Wheels may be

Reference image (shared by a FM)
1607498399187.png

My Requirement
1607501832228.png

Thanks
Vivek

Last edited:
For hosting audio-video components you first need to decide:
1. Width (1 or 2 or 3 component wide) each component is 18" wide with side allowance of at least 1"
2. Height (1 or 2 or 3 component tall) each component is 4-9" tall with top allowance of 2"
3. Depth (ideally at least 18")
4. Wood or glass (wood is tricky if you need one piece planks of 18" depth and 1-2")
5. Ply/veneer is a widely available and easy to work with
6. Support rods (threaded or not) or wood/steel partitions
7. Plan for 1 or 2 components in the future apart from what you already have
8. Cable management

I think I have shared this with you earlier, but here it is again.
Made of ply and double sided veneer with hardwood trim
Entire assembly is assembled with wood nut (inserts) and bolts

Cheers,
Raghu

For hosting audio-video components you first need to decide:
1. Width (1 or 2 or 3 component wide) each component is 18" wide with side allowance of at least 1"
2. Height (1 or 2 or 3 component tall) each component is 4-9" tall with top allowance of 2"
3. Depth (ideally at least 18")
4. Wood or glass (wood is tricky if you need one piece planks of 18" depth and 1-2")
5. Ply/veneer is a widely available and easy to work with
6. Support rods (threaded or not) or wood/steel partitions
7. Plan for 1 or 2 components in the future apart from what you already have
8. Cable management

I think I have shared this with you earlier, but here it is again.
Made of ply and double sided veneer with hardwood trim
Entire assembly is assembled with wood nut (inserts) and bolts

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks for the reply. I have updated my post for my requirements. I have factored in my future additions.

Last edited:
You can sandwich 20 mm ply's and use edge tapes to cover the joints (instead of trims).
With Plywood, you can get a better uniformity in terms of finish and thickness, which will be cost-effective too.
TC,
Geo

Guys any idea where to buy the supports and feet/spikes?
If the shelf spacing is going to be fixed, threaded studs can be avoided. stainless steel pipes with welded bolt at one end and nut at other end can be used instead. Need to visit roadside fabricators dealing in grills or staircase railings.

Alternately, pls check at nearby hardware store, ask for Mirror studs to get the idea
31Ksn2ajXHL.jpg
images.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I have updated my post for my requirements. I have factored in my future additions.

I would suggest to make 3 rows , 2 of about 9-10 inch height and 3rd one about 4-6 inches. All your bigger amps can be placed across 1st and 2nd rack from bottom, 3rd row can hold your DAC/Preamp/ AV Sources like streamer, xbox etc.

As others have suggested, ply works well and you can always get them veneered or apply laminate sheets of your choice.

All the best !

Last edited:
If your taking the DIY route and want to avoid the visits to the local markets ex: SP Road etc, I suggest you visit Mr. Murthy on Commercial street who will sort you with the SS threaded roads, nuts and bolts, spiked feet etc to your spec. As others have suggested, ply works well and you can always get them veneered or apply laminate sheets of your choice.

When I made a similar DIY rack, its was quite a hassle getting the arrangements done from local markets.

All the best !
Vivek is in Chandigarh

@Vivek, I suggest you contact FM Magma, he has readymade solutions that fit your requirements for relatively reasonable pricing. DIY material cost will not be significantly cheaper at-least if you are after a decent finish.
Cheers,
Sid

@Vivek, I suggest you contact FM Magma, he has readymade solutions that fit your requirements for relatively reasonable pricing. DIY material cost will not be significantly cheaper at-least if you are after a decent finish.
Cheers,
Sid
Hi @sidvee

Ali was my first point of reference. No doubt his racks are the best but price is not very pocket friendly for me at least.

Regards
Vivek

Last edited:
As others have suggested, ply works well and you can always get them veneered or apply laminate sheets of your choice.

All the best !
That would be my last resort if nothing else worked. The finish one can get from a good grain wood, is not possible with veneer in my opinion.

If the shelf spacing is going to be fixed, threaded studs can be avoided. stainless steel pipes with welded bolt at one end and nut at other end can be used instead. Need to visit roadside fabricators dealing in grills or staircase railings.

Alternately, pls check at nearby hardware store, ask for Mirror studs to get the idea
View attachment 52739
View attachment 52740
This looks much better than threaded rods. What's the source of these?

Google Search for "threaded rod" - they are easily available in 12mm diameter etc in any industrial area -

Wow the seller is in my city, Chandigarh. Thanks will go there and check.

This looks much better than threaded rods. What's the source of these?
It needs to be fabricated as per your size. Need to get in touch with local fabricators.
If threaded road diameter is not large, simple stainless steel curtain rod or slightly larger dia SS pipe can be used to cover them as well as work as a spacer.

That would be my last resort if nothing else worked. The finish one can get from a good grain wood, is not possible with veneer in my opinion.
Veener is wood!!
Why do you say its not possible.
PM your whatsapp number. I send you pics of veneer finish
Cheers,
Raghu

It needs to be fabricated as per your size. Need to get in touch with local fabricators.
If threaded road diameter is not large, simple stainless steel curtain rod or slightly larger dia SS pipe can be used to cover them as well as work as a spacer.
I will go to a local steel grill maker tomorrow to check if something similar is with them.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back