DiY cables

Shielded speaker cables? That's interesting. Is the sheild connected to something or is it just floating? If it's floating, it's likely to introduce more noise into the signal than a cable without a shield.

Generally, speaker cables are not shielded but Interconnects are in which case the sheild is connected to the chassis (ground) to drain away RF and EMI.

Shielded speaker cables? That's interesting. Is the sheild connected to something or is it just floating? If it's floating, it's likely to introduce more noise into the signal than a cable without a shield.

Generally, speaker cables are not shielded but Interconnects are in which case the sheild is connected to the chassis (ground) to drain away RF and EMI.

The shields are connected to the nearest earth.

I have never seen a commerical shielded speaker cable where the sheild is connected to earth. Quoting from another site:

"Electronically the speaker circuitry is floating and does not require any chassis or earth ground. Shielded cable can be used (whether to save monetarily or no extra cables, etc... etc...). The two wires would attach to the speakers but the shield should NEVER be connected in any manner - it should be cut back completely and unexposed. IF there is some sort of breakdown in the insulation jacket of one of the wires and even a strand of wire touches the exposed shield, that short circuit will blow the amplifier"

when it comes to A/V its purely a matter of Viewer/Listener Discretion.

in terms of personal taste/choice.......each man to his own.

respect! :cool:

I agree with klone that cables made at home are a cheap and handy replacement for any other US...ooops Chinese counterpart. it was once upon a time that you could really say with confidence that the cables made abroad were great, but now there is really no difference...not much really.

I, like klone make and use these cables, and after that, have confidently changed cables for all my relatives and friends. And they are quite happy with the results (Both in audio and video applications)

Back