DIY CD PLAYER for less

Here Comes DIY CD PLAYER for less
I will drop info only ...soon

Any guesses ? ? ? ?

Kaushik,
Is that made using a computer cd rom? But overall coupled with the brushed al finish and the superb display, it looks good. Question is, How does it dound?

when I was searching for chinese dac, there was one CD transport that had direct digital out. The original transport used in it had specs for digital out, supporting a small display etc.

Is that made using a computer cd rom?
yes ,itz a computer CD rom
brushed aluminium look is easy and fun several online guides are there ;) , cutting etc one needs to arrange

specs please. And cost. And review
i have not built it , plans are there . i assure you u can
give the same looks ,even if you want u can put ur model no

- full remote function remote will be there
- cost will be <4k .. ,even lesser ,DAC extra
- you can get optical out

i will give detailed info and links here , also links to review and pics soon

Tentlabs , overhyped rocket priced kit
is just EUR 2436,98 excl. VAT

so i am putting a practical DIY cd player

- full remote function remote will be there
- cost will be <4k .. ,even lesser ,DAC extra

i will give detailed info and links here , also links to review and pics soon

Thats really cool do post links on this..

ok wait is over ,

I have gathered the links and some info , there is a kit available in ebay.com { links added}
$27 with free shipping.It comes with Noritake 1602 VFD display.Seller Obviously from china . with 100% +ve feedback.

kit has all boards and a remote too :D ... power may be supplied by small SMPS[does not come with this kit] ..i would avoid the PC SMPS as it is bulky ...a case can be easily made with MDF/aluminium sheets/copper sheets
all drilling etc + small SMPS shold not go beyond 3k .

As per the info the kit is plug and play:yahoo: , supports most of cd rom drives ,I have seen pics of taking optical out [lost the links]

LINKS:

where to buy :

1) Ebay Shop HiLife-store:

The VFD Display kit :$27 coolest one
CDROM controller with Noritake 1602 VFD display DIY kit - eBay (item 260447174134 end time Jul-18-09 09:36:52 PDT)

Yellow Black LCD
eBay India: CDROM controller DIY kits with Yellow/Black LCD display (item 260423708645 end time 04-Sep-2009 07:45:45 IST)

Blue White LCD
CDROM controller DIY kits with Blue/White LCD display - eBay (item 260423272895 end time Sep-03-09 01:41:40 PDT)

2) Goto Thread related to for this cdrom kit get seller details and PM
CDROM control KITs VFD version - diyAudio.com Forums

Those who know 8051 coding can check ,open source info ,uses 8051 controller , schematics
8052.com User Home Page - 8052.com

Also,
15$ aluminium cabinets for the DIY unit
RP Electronics - Test Instruments , Power Supplies , Inverters , Electronic Project Kits and more!

Notes:
- I am not related to the seller
- I have not checked the specs of the output
- please add contribute more related links

Last edited:
hey kaushik,
I am looking for a small touchscreen that can be used with a pc - windows and linux - any idea about that too?

hey kaushik,
I am looking for a small touchscreen that can be used with a pc - windows and linux - any idea about that too?

anm ,
get 2 $ ready ..... + 100 Rs for detector interface

get this
ORIGINAL TOUCH SCREEN LCD FOR NINTENDO NDS DS LITE+TOOL - eBay (item 360180122982 end time Sep-13-09 21:01:40 PDT)

I am assuming a small lcd is displaying buttons etc,attach the screen on top.

Add a 8051 based micro controller(u need to code or get code) to detect touch position XY on card to generate IR detector fake pulses (feed to)> WinLIRC detector LIRC - Serial Port Receivers
configure WinLIRC.... job done !

Too much pain ? well prebuilt screens with controller here :
http://store.earthlcd.com/KIT-64-TOUCH-KIT64TOUCH?sc=7&category=255 115$
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12561 - 35$

Last edited:
There is a small complexity with SPDIF of cd rom..

However with some tapping I2S can be taken from the controller chip.......
this is the best signal for DAC provided it has I2s input.

i will add more details/links when i find some answers....
by the time dedicated cd-player believers please give some technical info on 'why cdrom is not suitable for good audio playback'

I think you can make your DAC accept I2S after some tapping ;-) The chip that converts spdif to I2S or from USB to I2S - just bypass it?

I think there is nothing great about the dedicated CDP except convenience for the end user. People need skill and time for DIY and some amount of risk too - voiding warranties etc. Dedicated CDPs can be better finished, come with remotes, have stronger, vibration free chasis.
I think there is no point of CDPs these days anyways - a good quality media player with good dac is what we need. We need cdrom only for ripping.

regards

this is the best signal for DAC provided it has I2s input.

yes bypass the internal dac with I2s(better than SPDIF connection) and attach an external dac

LRCK,BCK ,DATA ...pins give I2S
I2S from CD Rom using TC9474FA DSP [Archive] - diyAudio

i am not asking people to join diy route,which is uninteresting for many unless some unusual situation comes :p

just wanted to know the 'extra something' that 400$ range cd-player has ...

so that i can design a diy solution

Diy possibilities i have checked out :

External finishing : Same as marantz/cambridge audio CD players,aluminum brushed front,powder coated chassis..i would like to put a unique design
Logo and Display: the ebay kit has VFD ,logo will be laser cut ( obviously a unique logo ) or from wood
Remote : the ebay kit has remote ...( I have the source code for a different cdrom module ,i think it takes philips remote...)
Vibration and drive noise: 24x CD Rom are found silent..also vibration damping feet is cheap and easily available.
DAC: Hmm..some confusion here..for now lets keep this for future.. but it will be within reach and of pretty good quality

the things before the dac I hope will be 4-5k max...

yes DIY is dirty...time consuming..

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back