DIY CURVED PROJECTOR SCREEN 120"

rushabrdx

As suggested by i a member im creating this thread trying to DIY a curved projector screen
This is what i found on youtube
is this a correct way to make or can somebody guide me with a proper way to build and materials to use!
Thanks in advance!

What is your projector, if I may ask?

Edit:
Just saw your other thread. I think you should decide on the projector first and see if a curved screen will work better than a flat one.
For example, flat screens are suggested only for anamorphic lenses in the case of 1080 projectors. I've no idea of 4k.

Last edited:
As suggested by i a member im creating this thread trying to DIY a curved projector screen
is this a correct way to make or can somebody guide me with a proper way to build and materials to use!
Thanks in advance!

Just a heads up, a mild curve to correct for geometry issues in a low cost projector'e lens makes sense,it also makes sense if you have a pro projector with a huge lens and massive screen and you need to correct for the curvature.. But an extreme curve like a curved screen TV or more like in the video you have posted is going to need some radical correction using external software (which in turn will mean you will loose "visible pixels") and will achieve nothing in terms of quality other than degradation. Do you have a specific reason why you need a curved screen?

That's a cockpit projection screen with a very high curvature and cannot be used for home theatre.
Here's a demo of the same project.
A curved screen needs to have the viewing seat as the centre of the arc.

Just a heads up, a mild curve to correct for geometry issues in a low cost projector'e lens makes sense,it also makes sense if you have a pro projector with a huge lens and massive screen and you need to correct for the curvature.. But an extreme curve like a curved screen TV or more like in the video you have posted is going to need some radical correction using external software (which in turn will mean you will loose "visible pixels") and will achieve nothing in terms of quality other than degradation. Do you have a specific reason why you need a curved screen?
Ok i just read here and there also a comment below this isnt a curve a looking for, im just looking for a mild curve to give it a theatric 16:9 finish to it and nothing more , another reason being not to spend 95k on a screen (As per a quotation) as far as projector goes im onto benq w1700 and optama uh65

Ok i just read here and there also a comment below this isnt a curve a looking for, im just looking for a mild curve to give it a theatric 16:9 finish to it and nothing more , another reason being not to spend 95k on a screen (As per a quotation) as far as projector goes im onto benq w1700 and optama uh65

You don't need to curved screen with any modern portable projector. Stick to a flat screen. You can get elite screen cine white or cine grey screen material (depending on the gain you need) since you have a dedicated room. It'll come in a roll and is called designer cut. Get it touch with elite screens India. Make a simple wood frame stretch it and staple it. Or if you wanna buy a ready made one elite also has fixed frame screens with the same material 120 inch will cost around 20k. They are fully 4k compatible. (I say 4k compatible as some cheaper screens will have a texture that's a bit big for 4k resolution)

They are fully 4k compatible. (I say 4k compatible as some cheaper screens will have a texture that's a bit big for 4k resolution)

Am hoping the Acoustic transparent screen which is used for FHD projector can be used for 4K projectors too?.. Any downsides of using spandex for 4K projectors?..

Am hoping the Acoustic transparent screen which is used for FHD projector can be used for 4K projectors too?.. Any downsides of using spandex for 4K projectors?..

Well I am going to say to depends. A 4k pixel is going to be a lot smaller than 1080p so chances of pixel degradation is much higher if the screen had a texture where the texture is bigger than the size of the pixel. Now the same issue exist for 1080p as well but in the traditional screen sizes people worked with 90 to 150 inches emperical proof seems to point that the texture was smaller than the 1080p pixel. 4k will have 4 times as many pixel needing a texture that's much finer again depends on the screen size as bigger the screen bigger the pixel will become so maybe at 300 inches there won't be any difference. Also this is only the case for a native 4k projector, in a pixel shifter while the pixel size remains the same as 1080p it does shift the pixel diagonally to achieve the 4k res so if you screen texture is big then I can only assume your gonna loose parts of the shifted pixel leading to pixel distortion again.

But I don't think it's some thing to sweat over right now you can deal with it when you get a 4k projector. But since op is getting 4k right now it's better to go with a tested screen particularly when it's not insanely expensive.

Thanks in advance!
Cured projection screen will be great for gaming experience... IS it intended for gaming?.
I don't think it will be good for watching movies.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back