DIY Enclosure/Cabinet for PowerAmp & PreAmp

Actually both those images are of the same cab, first one is back side and the last one is front side.

@kaushik
I know a resource here who has all the equipment for sheet metal work including anodizing, powder coating, screen printing etc. They are also making cabs for "TORVIN".

That is good news. Torvin amp cabinets look professional but I'm told that they are no more selling even decent numbers.

I'll be watching this thread nevertheless.

I have resumed the cab build after a long break. Posting here the drawings of front and back panel for the pre amplifier.

The cab dimensions and other details:

Outside Dimension: WxHxL= 320mm x 80mm x 248mm
Front panel thickness: 9mm (3mm Black + 6mm Smoke Green)
Back panel thickness: 6mm
Body thickness: 1.2mm (GI)
Material: Acrylic(front and back) + Steel (body)
Finish: Powder coating (body), brush (front and back)

isnt the body in aluminum will be good as because of good feeling that it is nonmagnetic

Yes it is good to have aluminum body but it cost 2 to 3 times more than steel body. The same can be done with 2mm/3mm aluminum with vents and anodizing.

By the way update on the laser cutting machine?

Last edited:
Yes it is good to have aluminum body but it cost 2 to 3 times more than steel body. The same can be done with 2mm/3mm aluminum with vents and anodizing.

By the way update on the laser cutting machine?

In Bangalore? I had this bookmarked from a reco on another forum.

Home

laser and water jet cutters are there..if u just see justdial..they are located at city limits. Doing 2-3 cabs dont make sense ..some 10 -20 number panel if we can do all will work cheap.
but who will take the initiative?

may be bibin can provide 2 panels per member well done ?
cabinet body can be made in steel ,there are many steel w/sps near me

Last edited:
laser and water jet cutters are there..if u just see justdial..they are located at city limits. Doing 2-3 cabs dont make sense ..some 10 -20 number panel if we can do all will work cheap.

cabinet body can be made in steel ,there are many steel w/sps near me

I agree with you Kaushik, doing 2-3 cabs is not cost effective. I am making 6 cabs now, 4 for power amplifier and 2 for pre-amplifier. The drawings for the power amplifier front and back panels are not yet ready.

Sheet metal work has already started. So mostly by end of next week i will get the completed steel cabs. My current plan is to make the panels on acrylic and for power amp it will be a combination of 6mm aluminum and acrylic.

I am ready to take the initiative.

Thanks,
Bibin

Doing 2-3 cabs dont make sense ..some 10 -20 number panel if we can do all will work cheap.

may be bibin can provide 2 panels per member

I agree with you Kaushik, doing 2-3 cabs is not cost effective. I am making 6 cabs now, 4 for power amplifier and 2 for pre-amplifier.

That's great Bibin. What don't you start a new thread with heading "Cabinet build for F5 Turbo - Group Buy"

I think we must first ascertain the dimensions based on which, approximate costing could be worked out.

That's great Bibin. What don't you start a new thread with heading "Cabinet build for F5 Turbo - Group Buy"

I think we must first ascertain the dimensions based on which, approximate costing could be worked out.

The current dimension for the power amp cab is 430 x 400 x 210. These cabs are for our Le-Monstre and F5. I hope F5 Turbo can be mounted inside this cab bases on the following information:

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/28245-diy-pass-f5-turbo-v2-initiated-4.html

1.PCB dimensions in MM:
F5 Amp: 292.1 X 41.91
PS Rect: 209.55 X 36.83
PS Filter: 199.39 X 82.55

Thanks,
Bibin

bibin,Good effort !!
If Al front is there,I am in for 2 pre cabinets,if u can keep cost less say 1.2k or so.

Because china offers good all aluminum precabs for 2k..

bibin,Good effort !!
If Al front is there,I am in for 2 pre cabinets,if u can keep cost less say 1.2k or so.

Because china offers good all aluminum precabs for 2k..

Aluminum front panel (3mm or 6mm) is possible but without laser engraving. Just plain anodized front panel.

Regarding cost, i have not yet received the cost estimate from that sheet metal workshop. May be tomorrow he will provide me the price breakup.

Thanks,
Bibin

some 10 -20 number panel if we can do all will work cheap.

Regarding cost, i have not yet received the cost estimate from that sheet metal workshop. May be tomorrow he will provide me the price breakup.

Any news on the cost?

Any news on the cost?

Not Yet, that guy was out of station for more than a week. I spoke to him today, may be he will provide a rough estimate tomorrow. But i am not sure. Mostly by Monday he will complete the structure except the front panels.

My estimate is some 1.5K for sheet metal work including material, Venting, Powder coating and anodizing (heat-sink cost will be separate). Less than 1k for acrylic works and around 250Rs. for hardware like bushes, screws, spacers etc.

I am planning to use the following bushes and Nuts:
http://diyaudiocart.com/product/product&path=70_78&product_id=63
http://diyaudiocart.com/product/category&path=25_87

Thanks,
Bibin

Last edited:
Not Yet, that guy was out of station for more than a week. I spoke to him today, may be he will provide a rough estimate tomorrow. But i am not sure. Mostly by Monday he will complete the structure except the front panels.

My estimate is some 1.5K for sheet metal work including material, Venting, Powder coating and anodizing (heat-sink cost will be separate). Less than 1k for acrylic works and around 250Rs. for hardware like bushes, screws, spacers etc.

I am planning to use the following bushes and Nuts:
Plastic Cabinet Foot
Hex Allen Bolts

Thanks,
Bibin

Thanks for your initiative, I will join the Group Buy for 2 (all metal) cabinets.

Please share the costing detail and picture of the prototype (if any)

Regards,

Vipin

I went through this thread and the one you guys are looking into seems like a good option for pass labs. But I'm curious, Magma also sells a chassis with heatsinks on the side but the size is smaller. How come that isn't a suitable option for you guys? The smaller size?

Also would you guys happen to know any tube diy chassis/enclosures with transformer covers etc?

The fm acediyer has made great transformer covers using aluminium cylinders and cnc machine.

I personally feel that the cabinets by magma around 12000 is quiet costly for the pass 5 when you can get better finished ones from Hong Kong at similar prices with about half the price being the shipping cost.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back