DIY Enclosure/Cabinet for PowerAmp & PreAmp

Great Rohit! Please give your impressions and one more pic showing inside of rear panel - RCA and PS connections. Also closeup of LED connections on switch. Need to mention, in order to match front and back labels - reversed order of wiring on board Left - Right and on switch Right - Left.

Last edited:
Re: This is it!

So Om assembled it for you, congrats! You must have pestered him no doubt, else he would not have taken up the task of doing so :lol:

Wooden faceplate looks good, Amp looks like a professional build :clapping:

The Pass B1, Source selector and PS were done by me and ready almost month back.
I was waiting for the cabs so final integration could be done.

Wanted to validate from and expert (who better than Omji :D). Omji was most kind to share his expertise!

Cheers!

@Sachu888,
listening impressions. I have already heard this in my system before. But it is always special to listen to something you have put solder on yourself. It is special. I guess this is the "DIY" satisfaction.

Impressions for the records:
1) Very transparent sound
2) Neutral
3) Good resolution

@ thecoolestOne

It would be only apt to give credits to the rightful people:

1) Wooden faceplate - Keith for initiation and Bibin for execution. I always wanted a wooden faceplate thanks guyz for making my dream come true ;)
2) Knobs contrast - Thanks to Keith.
3) Wiring - Thanks to Omji. We spent quite some time and efforts on getting the wiring neat and tidy. I learn a lot of good techniques from Omji. That is what experience is all about. Only respect.

Its is truely collaborative effort. Thanks all.

one more pic showing inside of rear panel - RCA and PS connections. Also closeup of LED connections on switch. Need to mention, in order to match front and back labels - reversed order of wiring on board Left - Right and on switch Right - Left.

RCA:

PS:

LED:

Note: Labels (LEDs) on front plate needs to be connected appropriately to the matching labels (RCA) on the back plate. It is in reverse order on the back plate.

Connections are as follows:

LED 1 -> RCA 5
LED 2 -> RCA 4
LED 3 -> RCA 3
LED 4 -> RCA 2
LED 5 -> RCA 1

Also we needed to do following tweaks: (which may help others)
1. The diameter of shaft of volume control is bigger than hole on acrylic front plate of my cabinet. It was filed to make bigger.
2. The length of shaft of selector knob falls short. It is too short to reach the grub screw position which is on front of knob. This is due to wooden face plate thickness. So others using wooden plate please take a note. Plan to do some tweak here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rohit

Rohit/Om for the LED the blue wire you have connected, is it to the negative lead of the LED?
Yes that's common ground wire with a 4.7K? at the other end, only one common resistance connected to nearest ground at B1 PCB mounting screw. Positive is taken from switch with selected position. See below pic - purple wire ending with resistance under black heat-shrink tube ( near to upper right corner of B1 PCB). That's ground wire for LEDs.

IMG_0424_processed_zpsd1598b89.jpg

THIS IS IT!

Big Thanks to Omji for his valuable time, effort and expertise for making the integration happen! You Rock!

Sounds Amazing!

Cheers!

Great Job Rohit.....

Please polish the wooden panel, then only the grains will stand out.

I can see the mark of cellotape around the rocker switch. Use 320 and 600 grit emery paper (3M) for surface preparation and apply a coat of sealer and over that a coat of clear preferably PU.

Note: Please correct the white balance of first three photos.

Thanks,
Bibin

Last edited:

Great Job Rohit.....

Please polish the wooden panel, then only the grains will stand out.

I can see the mark of cellotape around the rocker switch. Use 320 and 600 grit emery paper (3M) for surface preparation and apply a coat of sealer and over that a coat of clear preferably PU.

Note: Please correct the white balance of first three photos.

Thanks,
Bibin

Sure, Thanks Bibin for the information!

Polishing did cross my mind as currently it is natural wood finish.
Will note this procedure.

Actually I don't mind the natural wood finish either in its original form. :)

(W.B was "cloudy" hence the hue :) )

Sure, Thanks Bibin for the information!

Polishing did cross my mind as currently it is natural wood finish.
Will note this procedure.

Actually I don't mind the natural wood finish either in its original form. :)

(W.B was "cloudy" hence the hue :) )

If you love natural wood finish then the procedure is very simple, after surface preparation apply wax polish.

Don't keep my baby naked, give some protection......:)

Thanks,
Bibin

If you love natural wood finish then the procedure is very simple, after surface preparation apply wax polish.

Don't keep my baby naked, give some protection......:)

Thanks,
Bibin

Bibin,
- Would the surface finishing affect the laser engravings? I guess they are deep enough to remain as is.

- Ideally I will like to have a slightly darker finish as per our original plan. Will keep you in loop once we take up that activity. Right now it is on the test bed for initial testing. :) We will coordinate on polishing part.

Thanks!
Rohit

Bibin,
- Would the surface finishing affect the laser engravings? I guess they are deep enough to remain as is.

- Ideally I will like to have a slightly darker finish as per our original plan. Will keep you in loop once we take up that activity. Right now it is on the test bed for initial testing. :) We will coordinate on polishing part.

Thanks!
Rohit

It will not affect the laser engravings. The depth is more than the standard engraving.

Polishing (PU or Wax) will make it bit more dark.

thanks,
Bibin

Recently I purchased 400ml aerosol acrylic spray for Rs 200/- only. That was giving great clear coat on wood. Swapnil has one leftover. Get it if he is not using it. Otherwise you have to buy one when trader's strike ends.

I have used the same spray for some other work. It is good. I have used it on wood, on plastic and even on brass :)

The spray was from some company called BOSNY. Its the same / similar to laquor. You just need to be careful to spray it evenly and thin. Two coats will give the desired results you will get a naturally looking gloss once it dries and it dries pretty quickly. It helps preserve the surface. But if you are looking for a relatively darker color, this may not serve the purpose.

I have used the same spray for some other work. It is good. I have used it on wood, on plastic and even on brass :)

The spray was from some company called BOSNY. Its the same / similar to laquor. You just need to be careful to spray it evenly and thin. Two coats will give the desired results you will get a naturally looking gloss once it dries and it dries pretty quickly. It helps preserve the surface. But if you are looking for a relatively darker color, this may not serve the purpose.

@Omji, coolestOne -
In one of my visit to an art supplies store I had seen a spray they use on paintings. It forms a protective coating over the painting. I guess I had seen the same. It was a white color bottle. Actually I was searching for decoupage glue :) for one of my other art projects. Never found that but saw this on the shelf. Thanks for info will keep in mind.

@Omji, coolestOne -
In one of my visit to an art supplies store I had seen a spray they use on paintings. It forms a protective coating over the painting. I guess I had seen the same. It was a white color bottle.

Yup that's the one. My wife uses the same for her paintings. Does a good job with paintings. It's easily available in hardware shops and even automobile accessories shops, those who stock spray paints.

Hi Folks,

I have taken a tally and and are now left with:

Potentiometer Knobs: 5 Nos.
Selector Knobs: 3 Nos.

All are without Grub Screw.

I have had a few requests for these in the following Order:

1. Santnai
2. Suraj
3. Gopib

If you guys need the Knobs pl. tell me what you need and we can allocate them in order of the requests received as above. That would be fair ?

Jayant
I needed 1 pot knob and one selector knob.
But have no progress with the grub screws.I found a seller locally but he wont sell less than 500 pieces,which is not feasible, and he refuses to give samples .
On element14 though,m4x10 screws hex head are available but in 50 piece pack-164rs.
So,i am not really sure.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back