DIY Enclosure/Cabinet for PowerAmp & PreAmp

Bibin,

Its high time to introduce

1. 6mm aluminium panels on front and back
2. Proper heatsink which takes care of Turbo v2

this will attract more participants [including myself] and will make the group buy more attractive.
Anyway what is the thereshold [ i.e minimum number of participants]

Regards,

Vipin.

At this point I have a humble request for all the DIY'ers in our GUILD.

When we design our marvels please always think in a way that we should not waste energy.

This discussion regarding active and passive cooling is one such classic example of how we can save energy.

One of the Pros of Passive cooling is it Saves Energy (12V x 1A = 12W x 2 Fans = 24W or less approx ).

At-lest I am seriously concerned of saving energy whenever its possible.

A real experience of mine I shall share.

I listen to Music in the morning say for 30-40 minutes daily passively. Sometimes my system may keep idle after all songs in the playlist got played and I and forget to turn off the system (I am using Class A amp) as well and go office. This happened many times and I felt very awkward for that irresponsible behavior of mine (But it happens to all, we are humans!).

8:30Am to 6:30PM Total: 10Hrs. Think of it when a Pass F5 Turbo or Higher wattage Class A amp does?

It's such a wastage of energy keeping those amps idle. I seriously thought of finding a solution to this and the end result is an Audio Program Timer.

It starts my entire system in the morning, begin to play and after playing for the specified time frame it automatically turns everything off unattended. And there are several more features I have added on it.

I shall post its work soon.

But this is my personal note to all the Monster Class A builders in our forum since our country don't have that POWER LUXURY.

Last edited:
Hi bijinjb
I am not here to corrupt your plans, I was just suggesting an alternative without professional experience in such projects. Please ignore if it makes no sense. One small cooling fan would draw approx 3w just for your reference. Nothing compared to the current drawn by the power amp. Of course that might be quite a lot of power for some to save.

Hi bijinjb
I am not here to corrupt your plans, I was just suggesting an alternative without professional experience in such projects. Please ignore if it makes no sense. One small cooling fan would draw approx 3w just for your reference. Nothing compared to the current drawn by the power amp. Of course that might be quite a lot of power for some to save.

Santy, You haven't corrupted my plans anyway. and my prev. post is purely a generic one to all and just not a particular person specific.

When we discussed about that I just thought of sharing my experience.

Someone may find it useful.

And its quiet happy to see that everybody throws their opinion and ideas which actually is the essence and life of these discussions.

More over it brings knowledge and keeps one updated in one or another way.

And thanks for shooting such ideas...

Bibin,

Its high time to introduce

1. 6mm aluminium panels on front and back
2. Proper heatsink which takes care of Turbo v2

this will attract more participants [including myself] and will make the group buy more attractive.
Anyway what is the thereshold [ i.e minimum number of participants]

Regards,

Vipin.

Yes Vipin we can do that if we have minimum 10 Cabs. For making the front and back panels it requires around 2.25 Sq.Ft of 6mm Aluminium sheet. So for 10 cabs it will be ~22.5 Sq. Ft, and a full 6x4 sheet can be utilized without much wastage.

And regrading the N56 heatsink i got update from FM gvenu. The minimum order quantity is 2m and cost is ~360Rs/Kg + cutting charge (25Rs/Cut)

For single cabinet we need 215 x 4 = 860mm (less than 1 meter). Again GB is the only option to reduce the cost/head. The approximate cost for 2m piece is around 15,000 Rs. and it comes around 7500Rs/Cab.

I need to check the cost of 6mm aluminium sheet, the per/kg cost will be ~ between 260 and 360 + cutting charge + anodizing charge.

I will update that cost soon.

Please let me know who are all interested, because making 3 or 4 is going to cost a lot and not worth the effort.

Thanks,
Bibin

Last edited:
I am also in favor of massive passive heat sinks however I feel that when increasing the heat sink height the cabinet becomes chunky like a small trunk. Thereby wanted a vertical mounting like the mark levinson's with large heat sinks with long vertical fins (like the ones Mishraji's has shown only 12 inch x 12 inch).

Just wondering.
Instead of stuffing in monstrous heat sinks adding to the weight and size, why not have a fan on a smaller heatsink?

I got this fan for my PC and it is absolutely silent and has amazing air flow.
Ofcourse, this may be too big, there are smaller and cheaper versions available which are probably even more silent.

This was discussed here "It would not be practically feasible" is what I gathered from experts.

Actually someone did implement it. You can read about it here:

Posting his pics here for best visual effect:cool::

Last edited:
At this point I have a humble request for all the DIY'ers in our GUILD.

When we design our marvels please always think in a way that we should not waste energy.

This discussion regarding active and passive cooling is one such classic example of how we can save energy.

One of the Pros of Passive cooling is it Saves Energy (12V x 1A = 12W x 2 Fans = 24W or less approx ).

At-lest I am seriously concerned of saving energy whenever its possible.

A real experience of mine I shall share.

I listen to Music in the morning say for 30-40 minutes daily passively. Sometimes my system may keep idle after all songs in the playlist got played and I and forget to turn off the system (I am using Class A amp) as well and go office. This happened many times and I felt very awkward for that irresponsible behavior of mine (But it happens to all, we are humans!).

8:30Am to 6:30PM Total: 10Hrs. Think of it when a Pass F5 Turbo or Higher wattage Class A amp does?

It's such a wastage of energy keeping those amps idle. I seriously thought of finding a solution to this and the end result is an Audio Program Timer.

It starts my entire system in the morning, begin to play and after playing for the specified time frame it automatically turns everything off unattended. And there are several more features I have added on it.

I shall post its work soon.

But this is my personal note to all the Monster Class A builders in our forum since our country don't have that POWER LUXURY.

Bijin,
That is indeed a noble thought, and congrats on your work. Yes, our country has scarce resources and we should do all that we can to not waste energy. While that does not mean that we give up all our comforts and desires, it is indeed important to be conscious of wastage, and avoid wastage.

Best,
APK.

Ha! That one is ugly. :p
I am sure there are better ways of implementing, like in the pic I posted earlier.

But never bother. It was just a passing thought.
There is no argument that passive cooling is any day better in terms of reliability. In fact I like the black painted fins even when they are outside the case.. (on the sides). It makes the amp look more muscular. :)

Just that I was intimidated by the sheer size of this. May be the perspective was so. :eek:hyeah:

image816.jpg

The pic you see here is 300 x 125 the actual piece would be 300 x 150 :)
-sann

The pic you see here is 300 x 125 the actual piece would be 300 x 150 :)
-sann

Oh Boy thats huuuuggeeeee.. :D
Never thought F5 will be such a 'hot' amp (pun intended)

So, is this the best power amp for a Pass B1, or it still would make sense to hunt for some other amp? Sorry if that was dumb. I am yet to learn. :eek:

This was discussed here "It would not be practically feasible" is what I gathered from experts.

Actually someone did implement it. You can read about it here:

Posting his pics here for best visual effect:cool::

I have a mini-F5 made exactly like the heatsink in the picture. Forced fan cooling between two enclosed heatsinks back to back. works well but for light loads. For lot more current oriented variants such as F5 Turbo, the heatsink size as well fan size/speed needs to be more to evacuate the hot air. In case of fan failure, you can kiss the amp good bye...

So, is this the best power amp for a Pass B1, or it still would make sense to hunt for some other amp?
Though I have never heard F5, but people call the combo as 'audio nirvana'
Have never read a single bad thing about the F5, I am now really impatient, to quickly complete the build.
Happy Listening,
sann

Please show us the internal wiring if possible.

Thanks.

Completed the B1 and posting here few snaps of the internal wiring. Initially i tried with the relay based source selector, but finally decided to go with the passive way. The current source selector is a 3 pole 4 way rotary switch.

Here is my DIY Lithium Iron battery pack (3.7v x 5 = 18.5v).

Thanks,
Bibin

I have a mini-F5 made exactly like the heatsink in the picture. Forced fan cooling between two enclosed heatsinks back to back. works well but for light loads.

Good to know that.

Forced fan cooling between two enclosed heatsinks back to back.

This must be resulting in dust accumulation. How has the issue been addressed? A sponge filter at the intake would be helpful in mitigating it to a great extent IMO.

In case of fan failure, you can kiss the amp good bye.

I thought we have protection circuit to cut off the amp in case of over heating.

I am planning to close the B1 Cabinet GB and here is the final list of members

Pass B1 Cabinet GB members
----------------------
1) apk
2) mbhangui
3) thecoolestone
4) rohitmusic (Wooden Front Panel)
5) ruenigma
6) denom
7) Santy
8) keith_correa (Wooden Front Panel)
9) santnai (require minor modification on the front panel and also need the power switch, power socket and power cable)
10) bibin

Thanks,
Bibin

Thanks bibin
Those knobs look awesome after they are fitted on the panels though I can't see it in full view!
Wondering if we can include it as a part of the GB- as per FMs' interest.

I have seen many such vendors on ebay having slab based rates for such items
ie 1 pc = x, then 2 pc = 1.8x, 3 pc = 2.5x etc
Also shipping cost can be saved since this is hardly a weight.
We can ask the seller to make a listing on ebay specifically for us with applicable rate for say 8 sets with combined shipping. Actually its a simple task on ebay for any seller.

What do you say? It might come down to Rs. 350 or less per pair. Can we try? I can message him if needed.

EDIT: Shipping saver is already inbuilt in the listing

Last edited:
Hi Bibin,

I have different knobs I Input selector from what you have. I am also planning to integrate SSP, CNC Phone stage along with power supply unit all in one box. Hope your cab will have a enough place for all?

Source Selector

PCB Dimension: 120mm(L) x 53mm(W)
1x Audio Knobs Aluminum Black High Quality with Shaf | eBay
Holes 4.6 cm (W) x 10.8 (w)

Volume Knobs

- Shaft hole diameter:6.25mm(1/4") ;

- Diameter:40mm, Height:20mm

1x Audio Knobs Aluminum Black High Quality with Shaf | eBay

Regards,

Santosh

Pass B1 Cabinet GB members
----------------------
1) apk
2) mbhangui
3) thecoolestone
4) rohitmusic (Wooden Front Panel)
5) ruenigma
6) denom
7) Santy
8) keith_correa (Wooden Front Panel)
9) santnai (require minor modification on the front panel and also need the power switch, power socket and power cable)
10) bibin
11) baswamin

Thanks,
Bibin

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back