DIY Floorstanders/Bookshelf: Help Required

debzkool

I am planning to build a pair of Floorstanders/Bookshelf speakers for myself. The basic usage would be to listen to old LP's on my new Denon 29F Turntable. I scurried around a lot but really didnt find find a good budget floorstander/bookshelf, I always felt them to be overpriced and hence decided to build one myself. I am no genius with acoustics but a good DIYer overall. I have ventured in several projects and feel comfortable with my own builds.

Now my plan so far is to buy readymade floorstander cabinets avaialbe in Bangalore. I would like to use 2x5.25" Mid range composite cone woofer(pref Peerless) and a 1Khz silk dome tweeter in each. I have a Norge 2060 which I purchased recently. The 2060 has a driving capacity of 80W RMS/Channel.

So now my question (may seem dumb to some, but I am pretty new to this field):
Will the Norge 2060 be able to pull 4x4ohm 5.25" speaker and tweeter??
Do I need a crossover for this design??
If needed can somebody help me in finding/designing a crossover??
Is there anything in particular that I need to keep in mind??(I know there are lots but any suggestions)
Any other suggestions???
:sos:

I am planning to build a pair of Floorstanders/Bookshelf speakers for myself. The basic usage would be to listen to old LP's on my new Denon 29F Turntable. I scurried around a lot but really didnt find find a good budget floorstander/bookshelf, I always felt them to be overpriced and hence decided to build one myself. I am no genius with acoustics but a good DIYer overall. I have ventured in several projects and feel comfortable with my own builds.

Now my plan so far is to buy readymade floorstander cabinets avaialbe in Bangalore. I would like to use 2x5.25" Mid range composite cone woofer(pref Peerless) and a 1Khz silk dome tweeter in each. I have a Norge 2060 which I purchased recently. The 2060 has a driving capacity of 80W RMS/Channel.

So now my question (may seem dumb to some, but I am pretty new to this field):
Will the Norge 2060 be able to pull 4x4ohm 5.25" speaker and tweeter??
Do I need a crossover for this design??
If needed can somebody help me in finding/designing a crossover??
Is there anything in particular that I need to keep in mind??(I know there are lots but any suggestions)
Any other suggestions???
:sos:

is this going to be in MTM configuration?
in that case if two 4 ohms ur connecting in series, then i think norge can easily drive them. readymade xover may not give good results. so better design and make one.

Yes it would be an MTM construction in a Floorstander.
I am concerned about the crossover. As mentioned I have barely any clue about the crossover, I can try building one(as in buying components and soldering) but I am unaware of it design and dont know how the circuit should be and what values of capacitors and inductors to use :sad:

Didnt find too many posts on crossovers. Any help would be appreciated.

ask to jeethubahi @ varsha electronics he may have many technical persons in his contacts who can really help you in making crossover's for your project.

Jeetubhai @ Varsha Electronics is from Mumbai, whereas I am based in Bangalore :sad:
call up jeetubhai's no(09821026522) for ur driver requirments. he can suggest a person for ur xover design requirements.
bijinmb has some readymade xovers with fixed xover points for 8 ohm drivers. it may suite ur requirements. else u can try his off-the-shelf xovers first and then tweak it later.

What I also wanted to know is that is a Crossover an absolute necessary??? Cant I do without a crossover?? :confused: Really new into this so a little ignorant :p

What I also wanted to know is that is a Crossover an absolute necessary??? Cant I do without a crossover?? :confused: Really new into this so a little ignorant :p

if passive xover design is intimidating, and if ur ready to invest in an extra amp (instead of passive xover) then u can try active xover. i am currently using sound card based active xover for my biamped speakers and i am lot satisfied with their performance.

if passive xover design is intimidating, and if ur ready to invest in an extra amp (instead of passive xover) then u can try active xover. i am currently using sound card based active xover for my biamped speakers and i am lot satisfied with their performance.

Ok :confused: Newbie alert :p What is active xover??? Confused as to Why would I need 2 amps??? How do you go about all this??? Any threads or posts that I could refer to??

Hmm...that was a pretty long read and a very informative one....sounds great for a bigger budget but not right now as I have invested most of my money already, hence buying another amp is really tough....but this seems to be the best solution around.

Anyways will have to keep the Bi-amp setup idea aside for the time being and deal with the passive crossovers for now.

But still not clear as to how to go about with the whole xover design...where to start and what to do

Hmm...that was a pretty long read and a very informative one....sounds great for a bigger budget but not right now as I have invested most of my money already, hence buying another amp is really tough....but this seems to be the best solution around.

Anyways will have to keep the Bi-amp setup idea aside for the time being and deal with the passive crossovers for now.

But still not clear as to how to go about with the whole xover design...where to start and what to do

Please Have a look at my recent project, I can connect both active and passive x-over on that (not at the same time).

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/25319-my-new-diy-project-3-way-floorstander-3.html

Thanks,
Bibin

why u want to do diy FS speakers ?

1) I like making my own stufff, especially things related to hobbies.

2) I cannot afford to buy a branded floorstander.

3) I would like to have a hands on experience on audio DIY

I know it may not seem a very valid reason but I would love to give it a try. I know with you guys help it should be a success :)

call up jeetubhai's no(09821026522) for ur driver requirments. he can suggest a person for ur xover design requirements.
bijinmb has some readymade xovers with fixed xover points for 8 ohm drivers. it may suite ur requirements. else u can try his off-the-shelf xovers first and then tweak it later.

Hey I have a good news. I will be in Mumbai on Monday so can drop into Jeetubhai's shop. I am planning to get my drivers, crossovers, tweeters everything from him since I dont know when I'll be in Mumbai the next time.

So there are a few things I need to know.

1) Where is Jeetubhai's shop located??
2) Does he accept credit cards(little short on cash since its the end of the month)
3) Will he be able to design and make crossovers for me/will he have ready made crossover's??
4) I need 4x5.25" Midrange composite woofer, 2x1khz tweeters and the 2 xovers. So my question is what kind of an expense am I looking at??

Please help....

Dear debzcool,
From where you were planning to buy readymade cabinets in bangalore. Please let me know too.
Regards,
Manish

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back