DIY for Speaker set up for a Mid Range AV receiver!

abyshines

Hi every one ,starting this thread so that i and many more people like me can fetch some help for an audio set up i.e speaker set up to be paired with an AV receiver [Mid range]

For all the discussions and finally for the fruit of hard work that would be fetched at the end of this DIY project.
Hope one and all carry this discussion and provide valued advice starting from the very basics.

Special thanks to the DIY Gurus on this forum and many more alike who have been an inspiration for this project.
Thank you all and here we begin.

[Pour in with the basics]:cool:

SONY AVR DN 2010 most probably or else Yamaha RXV667.

Only time will reveal,i will take sweet time before settling down on one.

What all things should be kept in mind while Deciding about the Drivers for the speaker set up.

Well i am considering the floor standers for this set up,since they produce 70 percent of the accoustics.

Last edited:
I am going through lot material online,lets see what i come up with.

Will purchase all the necessary tools in the mean time and will keep on updating the pics.

Does anyone know from where in delhi can i hunt for TOOLS like Hand drill,jigsaw etc for good price?

Hi again,This is what i am thinking of to work around.

Fonken-3D-B.jpg

Well will be making the Floor stander version of this.

One question though!
Is it advicable to make it threeway or two way?

Is there harm to provide seperate enclosure within the main floor stander for the Woofer driver?
Or should it be seperate from the Mid range drivers and tweeters?

Can anyone put some light?

I have built the Audax HT speaker system. There will be a load of info on this on the net including a detailed thread on AVS forum with many pictures by someone who did the same build.You need to do some homework-a possible site that you can check is Zalytron, which sells drivers and also has designs for speakers at different price points. Some of their designs are by real ustads-I built two designs from them-one called the AriaR and another is the Audax. Unfortunately the Audax drivers are now discontinued.

Hi again,This is what i am thinking of to work around.

Fonken-3D-B.jpg

Well will be making the Floor stander version of this.

One question though!
Is it advicable to make it threeway or two way?

Is there harm to provide seperate enclosure within the main floor stander for the Woofer driver?
Or should it be seperate from the Mid range drivers and tweeters?

Can anyone put some light?

This is an Onken type enclosure. Any particular reason why you chose this? What drivers do you intend using with this cab?

Looks like you've zeroed in on the Planet-10 Onkens, a very popular choice for fullrangers. However, IMHO, this might not be an optimum choice for a HT setup. If this is going to be a pure HT setup, you might be better off with a traditional 2-way bookshelf (MTM?) design with a sub. There are quite a few DIY options if you look around...

Well thank you guys for pouring in your thoughts,as i have already mentioned i am still under research.

I really liked the fonken clever design.

Well the drivers are the main concern for me,looking for FOCALS because they provide you with the crossovers as well.

Lets see what i come up with.
Just going step by step,still lots more to unearth.
Its like i am still in nursery class of audiophiles.Lolz

...Well the drivers are the main concern for me,looking for FOCALS because they provide you with the crossovers as well...

From what little that I've learnt, it appears that it's almost always advisable to consider the speaker system (driver+cross-over+cabinet) as a whole, instead of just the individual components. Not to imply that Focal drivers are bad, but you might not always get what you want going by the name...

P.S: Please keep the thread posted with what you decide to go with and the progress. All the best!

Can you name some drivers which can have crossovers supplied with them?

I do not know of any non-pro driver that is sold with specifically designed crossovers. Like I mentioned, please consider a fully designed and built speaker system, which would have a specific crossover designed for the set of drivers and the cabinet...

Diddnt know that Focals provide you with crosovers, but you can get speaker desigms with crossovers from Zalytron. I use Focal drivers in my AriaR, mated to Raven tweeters as well as in my car.

Any idea George so as to what specifications i should look for the drivers?

I mean for a decent 100 Watts RMS output!
How do you rate Focals in comparison with the competitors?

I suggest you look at some of the factors that I mentioned in an earlier post-size of enclosure, size of room, whether flor stander or stand mounted etc.. depnding on your room.In general, many(if not all) of the HT speaker designs on Zalytron's site will meet your needs.I got shielded speakers, other than that I dont know what else you need-apart from $$ of course!

My room size is 20 feet by 18 feet,with a sofa set at one corner.

Well surely will go through your earlier post.

How do you get it shipped to india from zalytron,the site itself is little confusing,apart from the phone numbers i didnt see any other means of contact!
With wide array of speaker set up on their site itwas confusing for me.Would you mind helping me choose?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back