DIY pmp :cool:

zapps

hey guys, I was reading abt Raspberry Pi & recently a Wolfson DAC expansion board has been released for it, Burr Brown DAC board is already out there.

So, I was just wondering, is it possible to make a DIY portable PMP using the raspy board and an add-on DAC board? and what all would be required to make this possible?

As per my wish, it should have a 3.5 mm jack for headphones, and maybe a line out too.
But how does one implement an OS on it?

Are there any good music player applications?

And what abt the storage?
As far as I read, there's only one memory card slot on the main board, so it'll have to be shared with media and OS, meaning that we cant just hot swap memory cards like in end user products.

So, guys any ideas or suggestions?

The rasp will run a fully operational OS , you need a screen to see and some way of communicating like a mouse or portable mouse or maybe a touchscreen then you will also need a portable power supply (this is the problem) . The battery will be beefy, hence portability lost somewhat. At the very end if you want to go through with this consider making it look like a laptop or netbook and yeah forgot you will need a pendrive for booting the rasp and a external storage for storage purposes...

Cheers and good luck

The rasp will run a fully operational OS , you need a screen to see and some way of communicating like a mouse or portable mouse or maybe a touchscreen then you will also need a portable power supply (this is the problem) . The battery will be beefy, hence portability lost somewhat. At the very end if you want to go through with this consider making it look like a laptop or netbook and yeah forgot you will need a pendrive for booting the rasp and a external storage for storage purposes...

Cheers and good luck

Indeed the battery is the biggest prob, coz to get min 10 hrs backup, its gonna be a problem
well control and display is solved by usiong the pi face bundle PIFACE CONTROL & DISPLAY - PIFACE - I/O BOARD WITH LCD DISPLAY, FOR | element14 India
but then again, with it making the use of the expansion port, I wont be able to use the Wolfson DAC

Yes if you can use the HDMI port for a touchpanel monitor like thing preferably 10" or something then expansion slot saved and you can use the wolfson dac.... or use the expansion slot in the way you mentioned and use the usb port for portable dac (usb dac like Fiio)

Yes if you can use the HDMI port for a touchpanel monitor like thing preferably 10" or something then expansion slot saved and you can use the wolfson dac.... or use the expansion slot in the way you mentioned and use the usb port for portable dac (usb dac like Fiio)

well, if USB DAC were to be used, one could use an OTG Andy.
Is there some 4" display available, maybe I should try the Raspy sites for more info

Is it possible to use Raspberry and other related components to make a PMP a portable one [ Mobile use ] ? Rasp -> USB to I2s (optional) & Display & PS for each component -> Dac (Optional) -> Amp everything in one enclosure? PiFace bundle will not be helpful to build a PMP. Its a 16X2 display and I believe not helpful for mobile use if that is what intended for. Me too looking for the same but not a PMP, intention is to use it for music.

Thanks
Badri

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back