DIY - Sealed Subwoofer's (External powered)..

Ahuja 12in FR is becoming popular in VFM FR list.
Pro audio drivers are excellent drivers. Their performance is far better than many other boutique drivers popular amongst DIYers. They have better sensitivity (hence better dynamics), better distortion profile, built tough, built for long life, with high power use in mind. What it means for home audio is that they will never reach their limits in home audio use and infact will just loaf around. They are widely available too. All good things.

Of course, we are talking about decent pro audio drivers not the junk ones.

Hello,

I just finished the prototype of the externally powered, 2-way, active crossover speaker using Ahuja 12in FR + iWai 12" SW.
6" Pioneer dual cone was not available and I did not want that to be a bottle neck in the long run. Not including the 12" FR would have been a mistake!
Attached is a picture for your ready reference. The dimensions are 15" x 15" x 34"
It looks very compact but is very heavy. Takes very little power and sounds very detailed and very big.
This may be something that stereophiles can take a serious look/ listen at.
I have to spend time with it and closely observe it as the 12" FR breaks in.
As @elangoas rightly said in post # 65, it will technically make a 2.2 system.

Regards,

Ravindra.
congratulations !!!!! very encouraging for a person like me.... trying to take baby steps in Diy.

For the last one month I was thinking of building a speaker with Ahuja 12" woofer + Tweeter.
You used a two 12" woofers. That's a totally different perspective for me !! thanks a lot.
By the way, Ahuja woofer can go to the max of 16000Hz.
Will that cover all the high frequencies in our music?
I m just wondering .... don't we miss anything between 16000Hz to 20000Hz?

Hello,

I just finished the prototype of the externally powered, 2-way, active crossover speaker using Ahuja 12in FR + iWai 12" SW.
6" Pioneer dual cone was not available and I did not want that to be a bottle neck in the long run. Not including the 12" FR would have been a mistake!
Attached is a picture for your ready reference. The dimensions are 15" x 15" x 34"
It looks very compact but is very heavy. Takes very little power and sounds very detailed and very big.
This may be something that stereophiles can take a serious look/ listen at.
I have to spend time with it and closely observe it as the 12" FR breaks in.
As @elangoas rightly said in post # 65, it will technically make a 2.2 system.

Regards,

Ravindra.
Also im very curious to learn.... when it comes to audio quality,
In what way this is superior/inferior to a regular design .... like one 12" woofer+Tweeter (woofer is not FR in this case)
Any suggestions please ....

sorry @elangoas looks like im deviating your thread !!!

The system sounds very detailed and true.
The vocals have opened up and the vocalist now seems big and sits right in front of me rather than on the stage.
The system has become revealing in the sense that it picks up small details easily. .
Quite some time has elapsed and wanted to check whether you see a need for a tweeter?

Hello,

I have posted the pictures of the finished pair in a new thread here.

@Naveenbnc : I have tried my best to detail my thought process while designing the same. I hope you benefit from it.

Quite some time has elapsed and wanted to check whether you see a need for a tweeter?

Absolutely not. The high requencies are supple and smooth covering even the most demanding HF range. I believe that a tweeter will destroy the end result.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello,

I have posted the pictures of the finished pair in a new thread here.

@Naveenbnc : I have tried my best to detail my thought process while designing the same. I hope you benefit from it.

Absolutely not. The high requencies are supple and smooth covering even the most demanding HF range. I believe that a tweeter will destroy the end result.

Regards,

Ravindra.
Its not only a benifit... its an inspiration and Im sure I will be reading it again and again in the next few days :D:D

First, many thanks to @Ravindra Desai for all your help..

Completed building my first dual DIY passive sealed subs, which will be powered externally.. (if i have overlooked/missed any aspect, please let me know)..

Subwoofer drivers were from IWAI, 12 inch, 4 Ohms..

axWVUHn.jpg

Gk09vej.jpg

Here are the subwoofer driver specification - http://www.iwaispeakers.com/Subwoofer/12inc_4e_200W/download.pdf

For enclosure, i used Ravindra desai subwoofer dimenions of 15 (L) x 15 (W) x 17 (H).. As mentioned before i settled with sealed as it was simple and straight forward..

Enclosure is 18mm Plywood, as i think it is more stronger than MDF and would help when mounting the subwoofer in my case.. Sides have been nailed and then "L" clamps used on all sides as it would hold it together firmly..

sealed with Fevicol adhesive, dont recollect the name of the adhesive.. Driver is mounted on the bottom of the enclosure..

6h1yeKv.jpg

Oy7kWfR.jpg

erfm3BV.jpg

These two subs to be powered by unused Sonodyne stereo power amplifier SPA 202, capable of 2 x 200 watts at 4 Ohms per spec..

Ko2LghM.jpg

yVwPI16.jpg

IMzEaeY.jpg

Hooked the Sonodyne SPA 202 to my Denon x 3300 AVR sub pre-outs and have wired the subs.. Yet to run the calibration, using it with old values..

Played some music & movies, it sounded good.. Doesn't sound very different from my existing dual Taga Harmony Platinum Sw 10 v.2 subs.. But it did sound better than Taga in some action scenes & some film music.. Once properly calibrated, should get to know more.. Will try to measure the response by this weekend..

Completed building my first dual DIY passive sealed subs, which will be powered externally.. (if i have overlooked/missed any aspect, please let me know)..

axWVUHn.jpg

Gk09vej.jpg

Here are the subwoofer driver specification - http://www.iwaispeakers.com/Subwoofer/12inc_4e_200W/download.pdf

For enclosure, i used Ravindra desai subwoofer dimenions of 15 (L) x 15 (W) x 17 (H).. As mentioned before i settled with sealed as it was simple and straight forward..

Enclosure is 18mm Plywood, as i think it is more stronger than MDF and would help when mounting the subwoofer in my case.. Sides have been nailed and then "L" clamps used on all sides as it would hold it together firmly..

sealed with Fevicol adhesive, dont recollect the name of the adhesive.. Driver is mounted on the bottom of the enclosure..

6h1yeKv.jpg

Oy7kWfR.jpg

erfm3BV.jpg

These two subs to be powered by unused Sonodyne stereo power amplifier SPA 202, capable of 2 x 200 watts at 4 Ohms per spec..

Ko2LghM.jpg

yVwPI16.jpg

IMzEaeY.jpg

Hooked the Sonodyne SPA 202 to my Denon x 3300 AVR sub pre-outs and have wired the subs.. Yet to run the calibration, using it with old values..

Played some music & movies, it sounded good.. Doesn't sound very different from my existing dual Taga Harmony Platinum Sw 10 v.2 subs.. But it did sound better than Taga in some action scenes & some film music.. Once properly calibrated, should get to know more.. Will try to measure the response by this weekend..
Congratulations Elango !!!:D:D
May be the driver needs some break-in time too !!

Congrats Elangoas. Those L Champs are not necessary. You should have done internal bracing, its mandatory if the enclosure is sealed. The Sub is Giant, I think you should do internal bracing. Even a Square of 1 Inch x 1 Inch wood block will do. Just make a "+" inside the Enclosure.

Secondly i think you shoud increase the height of your feets, keep at least 2 inch distance between ground and Driver. (Just my suggestion)

I am also making Active Subwoofer Project but it's still Pending. :( (I am working on another plate amp, the one which i had made is taking a lot of space)

Congrats Elangoas.

Thank you @sadik

Those L Champs are not necessary.

Ok.. I got those fixed as i thought that the nails would not be able to hold when suspended with the hook.. Hence..

You should have done internal bracing, its mandatory if the enclosure is sealed. The Sub is Giant, I think you should do internal bracing. Even a Square of 1 Inch x 1 Inch wood block will do. Just make a "+" inside the Enclosure.

I got these done thru carpenter, who build bigger drivers enclosure which are used for family functions / temple ceremony.. They were saying that since the wall thickness is 18mm Plywood, which is strong, there isn't a need for bracing.. I was in a dilemma if i should or shouldn't..so left it.. Thanks for the input..

Secondly i think you shoud increase the height of your feets, keep at least 2 inch distance between ground and Driver. (Just my suggestion)

Yes. Right.. He finished it after mcuh delay yesterday, didn't have much accesory.. So got the one fixed that was aval.. Yes.. Will replace it sooner..

I am also making Active Subwoofer Project but it's still Pending. :( (I am working on another plate amp, the one which i had made is taking a lot of space)

Great.. Hope to see them soon here..

Good build. Congrats !!!!

Thanks @Aniket

any reason or possible advantages for making a down firing sub ?

Not sure if downfiring driver will have any limitation.. But, am planning to mount these on ceiling with the hooks, slightly closer / either sides of the fan.. So thought to keep the drivers facing downwards, to avoid any accidental contact..

Thanks @Aniket

Not sure if downfiring driver will have any limitation.. But, am planning to mount these on ceiling with the hooks, slightly closer / either sides of the fan.. So thought to keep the drivers facing downwards, to avoid any accidental contact..

Oops I missed that, nice.

put some wood primer on the box after filling the gaps. and spray these with Araldite matte black spray can, you can get really good finish at no price.

Regards,
Aniket

axWVUHn.jpg

Gk09vej.jpg

6h1yeKv.jpg

Oy7kWfR.jpg

erfm3BV.jpg

Ko2LghM.jpg

yVwPI16.jpg

IMzEaeY.jpg

Aweosme you finally build your own subs. What's the estimated f3 of this sub box combo?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back