DIY single driver fulll range speakers for ta2020

jaudere ,

all FR speakers dont need help at low end of freq . The mark audi pair does well till a comfortable limit of high freq also .

manuduggal ,
lets build the FS pair and select the standard design . This will be a new addition to the DIY segment here Easy to build , may be very good sounding speakers .

Hi Kaushik,

can you please elaborate more on mark Audi speakers. Seem to be interesting. I need to check if they are suitable for mounting on open baffles.

I will search google. In addition, if you have readymade info, please share it.

Some info From DIY AUDIO :
Alpair 10 Gen. 2 introduction - diyAudio

I hope our builder has GEN 2
1 - Cones. All-new Multiform construction (as per other Gen. 2 Alpairs). The new profile is shallow. The overall depth has been reduced by 20% while 2 additional radii are added to its profile making this cone the most complex we've produced to date.

2 - Suspensions. Lui Yi Ping has "tweaked" the front suspension to reduce load resistance over the first 4-mm of travel. The new Nomex rear suspension is a new light grade synthetic material currently only being used on this driver. Note just how thin it is by looking at the parts pic.

3 - The new coil is a Japan made rectangle wire, tight-wound onto a light alu body. The complete coil assembly weighs under 4g being produced for us by a Japanese maker.

4 - Frame and connectors
are all re-designed. The frame includes a new injection moulded seal. This increases the damping factor and makes installation easier. The connectors are new and include extensions for simple cable connection.

Outcomes:
The Alp10 Gen. 2 driver is a large step forward from the old model. It pushes more air, 28 litres compared to 19.5 while total Q is up to 0.35 (old model 0.33). The Resonance frequency on the new model is 36Hz (40Hz on the old model) while SPL remains at 87dB. From the technical standpoint, this driver is delivering allot more for your bucks.

Some info From DIY AUDIO :
Alpair 10 Gen. 2 introduction - diyAudio

I hope our builder has GEN 2
1 - Cones. All-new Multiform construction (as per other Gen. 2 Alpairs). The new profile is shallow. The overall depth has been reduced by 20% while 2 additional radii are added to its profile making this cone the most complex we've produced to date.

2 - Suspensions. Lui Yi Ping has "tweaked" the front suspension to reduce load resistance over the first 4-mm of travel. The new Nomex rear suspension is a new light grade synthetic material currently only being used on this driver. Note just how thin it is by looking at the parts pic.

3 - The new coil is a Japan made rectangle wire, tight-wound onto a light alu body. The complete coil assembly weighs under 4g being produced for us by a Japanese maker.

4 - Frame and connectors
are all re-designed. The frame includes a new injection moulded seal. This increases the damping factor and makes installation easier. The connectors are new and include extensions for simple cable connection.

Outcomes:
The Alp10 Gen. 2 driver is a large step forward from the old model. It pushes more air, 28 litres compared to 19.5 while total Q is up to 0.35 (old model 0.33). The Resonance frequency on the new model is 36Hz (40Hz on the old model) while SPL remains at 87dB. From the technical standpoint, this driver is delivering allot more for your bucks.

Low Qts and low Fs - perfect candidate for a Transmission Line. Also consider the much lower priced CHP-70. Big bang for the buck.

I need a third person's opinion about what I am doing. Yuvaraki visited my place recently but the EQs were not in chain that time.

If you are referring to the goodness of Ahuja drivers for music, honestly, probably yours were the first serious speakers (in comparision to 1.2 PC speakers i am used to) i listened to while trying to asses the sound quality. It sounded pretty good to me. At-least its DEFINITELY worth all the experimentation you have done with them. End of the day you love listening to your favourite songs from years earlier on these speakers, so yes, they are good. :) As i mentioned earlier, i would definitely prefer OB for certain genres of music as long as Bass can be boosted by say 30%. But i will definitely shun OBs for hip-hop, rap, club type music.

On an another note, yes WR/FR definitely will be better with some help at high and low-ends of the spectrum. Now, how much of help at which end is usually determined by the size of the WR. My understanding is WR above 6" should be good enough so you don't need to boost the bass as much as you would want to boost the treble. In OB context, Bass is there but not emphaised (from my SR80i experience, its a plus point because what you get is accurate compared to closed box models). In the OB context, 6+ incher WR can use a woofer if not a sub, a very taut and subtle one at it! Summarily, if I get OBs now, i wud definitely get a 2 way AND A WOOFER some day soon after that. I will try to avoid WRs (NOT OBs) as much as possible if i am serious about the sound and i can afford. But there are some staunch supporters to WRs too. But i believe if budget is no bar then you can get quality XO and compensate for loss due to additional circuitry.

P.s:- Majority of what i wrote is based on my reading, understanding and little/no experience. Please dont pounce on me but correct me if i am wrong!! :D

Low Qts and low Fs - perfect candidate for a Transmission Line. Also consider the much lower priced CHP-70. Big bang for the buck.

I also prefer a low Qes probably in the region of 0.2 to 0.35 for a TL and also a low Vas in the region of 7 liters to max 15 liters for a TL. I would not prefer a low Fs speakers but would rather prefer an Fs in the range of 50Hz to 70Hz for a TL else the cabinet becomes too huge for a practical design.

many many apologies for the delayed update . did not make the speakers until recently.

I am playing my speakers , mark audio 10.2 in pencil cabinet with ta2020 amp .

HFM "kaushik" proved to be a invaluable help and guide in getting the right speakers .
Since I am a newbie in audio , kaushik auditioned the speakers and he was very impressed . I like it too but have no reference point since this is my first audio setup.

My setup is : laptop -> ODAC -> ta2020amp -> mark audio10.2 in pencil design .

Manish

Manish ,
the fruits of careful research are here !
I must admit that the build tought some useful lessons on the procuring of parts ,
cutting labour charges to finding right places etc.
It is heavily a product of your faith in yourself! i am just a commentator alike ;).

nah .... you are being modest kaushik . thanks once again .:)

Manish ,
the fruits of careful research are here !
I must admit that the build tought some useful lessons on the procuring of parts ,
cutting labour charges to finding right places etc.
It is heavily a product of your faith in yourself! i am just a commentator alike ;).

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back