DIY single driver fulll range speakers for ta2020

manuduggal

Now after getting my helder ta2020 amp ready with help from kaushik , I am looking for speakers for these.

I am interested in DIY speaker route but cannot take it the whole way and since its my first hi-fi setup . That would be too much of DIY for me at first go. It could be DIP ( Do it partially ) :) .

I have read about single driver full range speakers . I have not heard these speakers so far and would like if I could hear them somewhere in Bangalore .

Any place / home where I could listen to them in Bangalore ? :)

Also could I get some recommendations who could make these for me in Bangalore for consideration ?

I did contact sreekanth (soundsgreat) for his 2 way speaker but could not meet up with him.

i am looking to take exact path you are intending to at this point. But then since we are talking abt single rangers which dont involve any X-overs, all you need is a gud carpenter who can follow your instructions to cut the wood. If you ask me, my gut feeling is it cant get any simpler! Experts, please correct me if i am wrong. Also whats the best place to get full rangers like Pearless and Fostex in India?

For fostex - Audire, Coimbatore. Or as per the response from Fostex, Japan:

"Dear Mr. Aashish Mahindru,

Thank you for the inquiry. Please contact the following company in Singapore for the purchase of speaker driver. Thank you in advance.

ProAktiv Systems Pte Ltd
10 Ubi Crescent #01-89, Ubi Techpark, Lobby E Singapore 408564 phone (+65) 3125 2121
fax (+65) 3125 2131
Web Site: http://www.proaktivsys.com"

For Peerless, not sure about bangalore, but Mayank Doshi, Varsha Electronics, Mumbai can deliver anywhere at reasonable cost. Phone No. 9821026522

Friends, buy Ahuja full ranger, you will not be disappointed much for the performance and will be quite happy with less expenses.

I asked audire for Fostex drivers , they replied

"We do not sell drivers separately. We only sell fully made speakers.........."

Friends, buy Ahuja full ranger, you will not be disappointed much for the performance and will be quite happy with less expenses.

I remember going through your thread regarding open baffle experiment with Ahuja drivers. IIRC FM Jaudere also has built speakers using them.

I've seen Ahujas doing duty on PA systems magnificently and should be a cheap yet good option.

Please do not forget Ahuja drivers sells parallely with Eminence drivers atleast in UAE (as I personally know). Ahujas lack in higher Qts when one looks for values higher than 0.7 and in some cases for Xmax too!
For me, Ahuja drivers are a very good compromise.

By the way, it is Jaudere who showed me these Ahuja drivers. I am indebted to him for that. Infact I was able to make an OB only because of him.

Actually what I was looking for is a single way full range driver with no crossover . Also I am not looking for open baffle design would prefer a closed cabinet approach .
Two equally important reasons : with children at home , its safer that way .
Secondly , I think I might get bit more bass that way . ( I may be wrong do correct me ).

May be I missed something but a quick search gave me this thread by jaudere regarding ahuja full range driver mentioned some crossover also .

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/22503-planning-new-open-baffle-design-all-ahuja-components.html

I need to search for it more comprehensively for a setup with ahuja/peerless drivers ( full range , single way ) with closed cabinet design . But any pointers would be welcome.

Apart from audire in India any other place which sells Fostex drivers .

No full range driver is actually a full range one, they are at the most wide banders. You loose both end frequencies by some SPLs. Decware has one driver they claim as a full ranger and actually make one speaker with that driver only and has augmented bass from resonating empty cabinet. They are damn good and costly.
It is a good idea to augment bass by very good cabinet design and high frequencies by adding a tweeter with a capacitor in between. This the best VFM design and simplest.

I think you can import drivers like Fostex in India but they costs.

Full ranger of Ahuja are actually used in a cabinet. Since it has 0.7 Qts, we have used it in OB too.

alpair 7 in the correct cabinet will go from some 50hz to 35khz.
There you are. Still missing 50Hz to 20Hz but not much by me.

How much they cost in India?

Edit: checked its T/S, it has Fo=69Hz only.

SPL is quite low per my requirement.

Last edited:
Actually what I was looking for is a single way full range driver with no crossover . Also I am not looking for open baffle design would prefer a closed cabinet approach .
Two equally important reasons : with children at home , its safer that way .
Secondly , I think I might get bit more bass that way . ( I may be wrong do correct me ).

May be I missed something but a quick search gave me this thread by jaudere regarding ahuja full range driver mentioned some crossover also .

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/22503-planning-new-open-baffle-design-all-ahuja-components.html

I need to search for it more comprehensively for a setup with ahuja/peerless drivers ( full range , single way ) with closed cabinet design . But any pointers would be welcome.

Apart from audire in India any other place which sells Fostex drivers .

I have experimented a lot with 2 way, 3way passive crossovers and cheap nameless drivers (but no measurements. My ears were my measuring intsruments). Philips (now available as pulse) 8" full rangers were my favourite till I landed on Ahuja full rangers. After a lot of permutations and combinations, I have finally arrived at following. The full ranger is fed full signal without crossover. However the full ranger does not perofrm well above 10khz as per the frequency response curve given by Ahuja.. So I have added tweeter with 1st order crossover at 8khz. Bigger full rangers do not perform well in higher frequencies while smaller ones perform poorly on bass. Usually, on open baffle, one either has to add a bass driver or a tweeter depending on characteristics of the full ranger. In a close cabinet, a smaller full ranger works well because the bass is taken care of by the cabinet while the full ranger is good in higher frequncies. By the way, even I have 2 kids at home, both younger than 5 years. They lost interest in the speakers after 1 month. In that month, my son has poked dust cap of full ranger but luckily did not touch whizzer cone or the main diaphragm. They many times hide behind the speakers but have never tried to do anything with wire. I always involve them in cleaning the speakers. They keep count of the screws when I am changing drivers. They are allowed to screw in damaged drivers for practice. So even they are gradually learning things and they understand that the item is not a toy and is very important for their father.

Thanks jaudere for the detailed reply. I understand if the children are involved in some part of the speaker process ( open baffle ) they'd be less curious that way.

I have also read about Mark audio alpair 7 , 4 inch full ranger

But what I felt about mark audio is :

impedance :5-6 ohm
spl : 85-86 dB

Would not it be a big strain on the low power Tripath 20 amp ?

refer:

Madisound Speaker Store
Madisound Speaker Store

Its enough for a small room. if you have a large room or huge spl requirements, stay away. This is a great speaker, but not a general purpose one. does well with certain genres, doesnt do well with some. stay away if using mp3s.

There you are. Still missing 50Hz to 20Hz but not much by me.

How much they cost in India?

Edit: checked its T/S, it has Fo=69Hz only.

SPL is quite low per my requirement.

for 20 to 50hz, most of the 2ways wont be enough, heck most of the 3 ways will struggle to do 20 hz.

for 20 to 50hz, most of the 2ways wont be enough, heck most of the 3 ways will struggle to do 20 hz.
45Hz is pretty good low for my uses ..

most 2 channel setups do this , people add more $$$ for other qualities ..going even low NOT reqd for starter .. cost ,complexity,shape etc factors limit this . Most of times LF exn is not desired .:indifferent14:

@manu

consider Alpair 10 as cabie is way simple.. even Alpair7 with FH3 cabie is easy 1day job if you are still scared get the drivers and make a BS pair for now ..small and cute!

Last edited:
In pure music, 45hz is more than enough. You need lower frequncies for thuds, explosions etc in movies.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back