DIY Speakers - Are they worth the effort

Yea I've seen that. Its solidly built, out of high grade plywood. But I think it is likely to not sound that great. People complain about Bose 901's. This I think has to be worse.
Anyway fun build though.
Cool.
Srinath.

This is my first post in the forum and the timing and topic of this discussion could not have been better. I was planning to DIY a pair of floor standing speakers and was reading up on the same in various forums and was haunted by this very question - is it worth the effort ? Designing was out of question as i am an absolute newbie to this. The other three options were - use a proven speaker design OR get a DIY floor standing speaker kit OR the easy way out buy it. After reading the current thread, i am convinced that without proper measuring instruments one should not venture for building a speaker even if you have a proven design.
This leaves me with just the two options - DIY kit or buy. I like to build stuff. I have been building solid state amplifiers for home and friends, for sometime now. Have never designed or built a speaker box before though and do want to get some satisfaction by building it - though not at the cost of quality. Hence the dilemma between DIY speaker and ready made speakers.
This forum seems to have some real senior folks who have been there and done that. Appreciate any and every guidance on this matter to help me take a decision.

DIY = MONEY(Here as well) & large & not so good looking

I have a couple ideas that can help here.
I have made speakers and had them look like garbage.
The biggest thing that seems to work against them looking good is the fact tha tthey dont have the covers and the connector plates and maybe even a badge or 2.
Nowadays I like to use a donor speaker set.
The cover and the binding post/wire connector I lift from the donor cabinet.

Its very cheap around here to get water damaged cabinets and working and good drivers. I have onkyo E 53's as well as a few more I got cheap.

Typically I can make cabinets or in some cases, get good cabinets like my recent infinity Kappa 7 very inexpensively. Swap the drivers from the first one into the second one.

Cool.
Srinath.

I have a couple ideas that can help here.
I have made speakers and had them look like garbage.
The biggest thing that seems to work against them looking good is the fact tha tthey dont have the covers and the connector plates and maybe even a badge or 2.
Nowadays I like to use a donor speaker set.
The cover and the binding post/wire connector I lift from the donor cabinet.

Its very cheap around here to get water damaged cabinets and working and good drivers. I have onkyo E 53's as well as a few more I got cheap.

Typically I can make cabinets or in some cases, get good cabinets like my recent infinity Kappa 7 very inexpensively. Swap the drivers from the first one into the second one.

Cool.
Srinath.

And I always believed the woofers are to be kept in a defined box volume and probably a fixed golden ratio to sound good based on its TS parameters.

Last edited:
And I always believed the woofers are to be kept in a defined box volume and probably a fixed golden ratio to sound good based on its TS parameters.

I start with a larger cabinet usually. Making it smaller, easy, brace it with wood and you get bracing as well as the lower volume.
The best part of this, I can do it by ear. I will put the brace inside and sort of just use up the volume. Try it.
Then if it is better, I'll glue it in lightly and test it.
If good, I'll glue the thing in for good.
Cool.
Srinath.

How to make a car ?

Get a trashed chassis...
Fit required seats..
Adjust as necessary..shorten or lengthen as per your wish
Start engine...
Sputter...sputter..choke..choke..
Honk horn to test
Tie seat belts
Drive away !!

:lol:

Have fun..

@GeorgeO : I have a budget of around Rs. 70K/-. I was wanting to build a tube amp and hence wanted to keep some amount from this budget for that which necessitated that i build the speaker on my own. I am having thoughts about it now after going through this thread.

sunilmani.

there is a thread started by Keith Correa on a speaker kit - insane value - please check it out...

maybe you may like what keith points to..

regards

I start with a larger cabinet usually. Making it smaller, easy, brace it with wood and you get bracing as well as the lower volume.
The best part of this, I can do it by ear. I will put the brace inside and sort of just use up the volume. Try it.
Then if it is better, I'll glue it in lightly and test it.
If good, I'll glue the thing in for good.
Cool.
Srinath.

Good to know that box volume can also be decided by ear tuning. I also tune by ear but only for the amount of stuffing to either add or remove from the line. Again this addition or removing of the stuffing have not been more than 5% of the calculated value - maybe this is due to difference in damping density/ coefficients of the damping material. I tune to allow the fundamental to pass un-obstructed through the terminus and try to check if there is any odd harmonics passing through the terminus. Pink noise works quite well here too.

DIY speakers should be tried if one wants to do something on her/his own.

I wanted to have a speaker of my own considering the limitation that I can not make a driver.
Just like the fact that I wanted to do trekking, then mountaineering, just like I wanted to create my own images.
Just like the fact that I had to do all these because they are possible, because they are there.
Listening to a speaker made by self is an experience worth your own appointed value.
Do not ask people about its worth.
It will come from within.

I also feel, if the speakers are to be made for self, then measurements are to be used for guidance, ears are for acceptance. Ratio of 20:80 should be followed here (IMO). In fact I never measured my speakers by tools. Because I could not measured reproductability and reproducibility of man and machine for those measurements. Who knows how much error those machines have. If the speakers are for self, let me be the man and machine for that.

Instead, I invited friends like common man, musicians, composers, singers, someone who runs big shows, repair costly amps. Based on their ear, listening experiences they rate (qualitative only) my speakers. I, listening their impressions cross checked what my ear listened and retune my understanding of sound accordingly.
I have various string instruments and percussions at home, I play them and listen to others played through CD or some sources. I measure accordingly.
I regularly go to open ground live shows where music is amplified through JBL or such speakers. I remember the sound, cross check with mine at my listening room. I also regularly attend cultural get-together and listen vocals, percussions, strings (mainly classical guitar), drums. I try to remember them and check then accuracy of my speakers. Compare my DIY speakers and branded ones for the same song.

If you do not want to die wandering for what if, try DIY.
If marriage like a DIY can be a success, anything else will.

The best value for money and worth against effort system IMO opinion are combination of active amplification system (in computer) with OB speakers for mid and high. Speakers for bass can be a sub or other cabinet speakers.
Only restrictions are that speakers to be 3 feet away from front walls. Speaker distance from side walls.

My first such set up costs me 10K or so where I had the main amplifier, computer with me already. Cost of making an OB was initially 5K and of Creative digital signal processor was 3.5k INR.

Or try to buy cheap 2.1 or 5.1 system, and replace the fronts with so called full range drivers placed on an open baffle. Play in stereo mode while listening to music. Enjoy movie in 5.1.

sunilmani.

there is a thread started by Keith Correa on a speaker kit - insane value - please check it out...

maybe you may like what keith points to..

regards

Thanks for the pointer. I am in India and Keith is in US. I am looking for more of a floor standing speaker as well.

Thanks for the pointer. I am in India and Keith is in US. I am looking for more of a floor standing speaker as well.

@Sunilmani - George had asked you your budget. Without knowing that i doubt if anything can be suggested. You can use the PM route if you wish. You can build a FS for as low as 10K and there can be any limit to the upper end.

Good to know that box volume can also be decided by ear tuning. I also tune by ear but only for the amount of stuffing to either add or remove from the line. Again this addition or removing of the stuffing have not been more than 5% of the calculated value - maybe this is due to difference in damping density/ coefficients of the damping material. I tune to allow the fundamental to pass un-obstructed through the terminus and try to check if there is any odd harmonics passing through the terminus. Pink noise works quite well here too.

Yea stuffing is the commonest one for the trial and error/by ear tuning.
However Volume also can be adjusted the same way, just with more effort.
You can take up volume by putting in a Block of wood in it. A lot harder than putting stuffing. But it is a useable idea.
I also would say port tuning by ear as a possibility.
Longer port acts like the cabinet is bigger.
More stuffing acts like the cabinet is bigger.
The extra wood in a cabinet makes it feel smaller. I would say its a good 3 pronged attack. LOL.

Cool.
Srinath.

Hi,

The method to check the amount of internal damping material quoted below is from one of the old Altec papers. This method works fine for me.

"From Altec - 1974
The normal method to check speaker damping is simple, but is easiest if you start out with too little fiberglass. We recommend the battery test method to check for damping. Attach a short length of speaker wire to the loudspeaker terminals in the normal manner, and bring the loose end around front where you can easily listen to the loudspeaker sound while testing. Hold one of the speaker leads to either end of a standard 1.5 volt flashlight battery. Then touch the second lead to the other end of the battery and release. A properly damped loudspeaker will reproduce a clean click as contact is made and released.

The underdamped speaker will reproduce the battery contact as a whomp sound. Fiberglass may be added in a loose manner to the enclosure until the proper click is obtained, and then stapled into place according to above practices relating to the specific type of enclosure.

The overdamped speaker is more difficult to observe. It is a matter of degrees that becomes familiar with one or two experiments. Thus, the recommendation to start tests with too little, build up, and then go back down as required."

Bonded Logic is recommended as a very good damping material for speakers. I do not know if it is available in India.

Bonded Logic - Manufacturer of Environmentally Friendly Insulation and Padding Products

Regards
Rajiv

@Sunilmani - George had asked you your budget. Without knowing that i doubt if anything can be suggested. You can use the PM route if you wish. You can build a FS for as low as 10K and there can be any limit to the upper end.

@Hari Iyer : i did respond back to George on budget - around INR 70K. Around 30K for a tube amp and rest for FS

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back