DIY THT LP SubWoofer Build using 15" Dayton Reference

cmsajith

Along with my Theater Room construction, I have started building a THT (Low Profile) Subwoofer designed by BillFitzMaurice using the recommended 15" Dayton Reference Driver (Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm).

Design is bought from THT LP Subwoofer

Box size : 6' x 2' x 18" :eek:hyeah::eek: (A monster)

Material used is 18mm MDF and used star screws (almost >100 already, dont know how many more) with Fevicol (SH) for bonding the panels.
The design is using 12mm Birch\similar ply. I decided to use 18mm MDF instead (to add mass), but it requires a lot of re-measuring and simulation (Thanks to Sunil in helping me in this.)

Let the pictures say the rest...Blame HTC for poor quality pics...:)

Last edited:
15" Dayton Reference Driver

imag0294w.jpg

imag0295k.jpg

imag0298w.jpg

Panel I with the internal horn drawings.

Use carpenters only to cut and the panels, else you may end up with another sub design:)

imag0266h.jpg

imag0267n.jpg

What amp are you planning to use for the sub?

I am thinking of a furniture in one of the corners of my room that doubles up as sub in the lower section, and upper section works as an almirah that holds records.

Included a few changes apart the design to strengthen the folds (internal braces for the folds) and for smooth travel of air.

imag0292u.jpg

imag0293s.jpg

Last edited:
CSJ,

That is an nice one..Monster one in size and should be in sound too. Itz internal looks seems to suits two persons to sleep and an cot sized:)

You should have put everyone to guess about this project only by putting photos. That could be an nice surprise.

Last edited:
If you are holed up in an apartment, feeling sorry for your neighbours ... :lol:
As someone suggested, could double up as a cot if placed horizontal .. :)

What amp are you planning to use for the sub?

I am thinking of a furniture in one of the corners of my room that doubles up as sub in the lower section, and upper section works as an almirah that holds records.

It requires only 100-150W amp to go to crazy DB levels (claims ~114DB @ 20Hz corner loaded, but dont know how much will be in practical, even a 90-95DB is enough for me:)). It will defenitely give the low mids \ ~25-100Hz at that DB levels with very less distortion \ THD.

I am using 240W Dayton Plate amp (w/o 18Hz boost)
Hmmm, need to do a lot of testing to find the best location. Current plan is to keep it upright, horn mouth towards the ceiling, at the back side corner (next to recliner). Another plan is to keep it as flat bed at the front corner below the screen.

To get an idea about the box, I am attaching a few sketches made out of Google sketch:

Horn Mouth towards the Left side and all other side will be closed :

thtlpview1.jpg

thtlpview2.jpg

thtlpview3.jpg

If you are holed up in an apartment, feeling sorry for your neighbours ... :lol:
As someone suggested, could double up as a cot if placed horizontal .. :)

This plan is also there in my mind, if nothing works out. Cushions and a veneered finish will give it a sofa \ a shoerack look since the height is ~18". How about a shoe rack with butt kicker installed...:eek:hyeah:

We like to call it a Coffin. :D

I got to listen to a diy THT at a Home theater by local area forum person. It moves lot of air, so be prepared to properly take care of anything that's hanging on the wall.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back