DIY THT LP SubWoofer Build using 15" Dayton Reference

Woah! Awesome :clapping:

Insane build Sajith...am feeling sorry for the neighbours already :D

Will drop by this weekend if you are around...

Thanks..
No problem buddy, will make it to next weekend as I will be busy with new year celeb / party. Anyways give me a ring on friday evening.

Sajith, quick note. The cover of the compression chamber (where the driver sits), if you can at this stage please use a rubber gasket and seal. Even ordinary cycle rubber tube (used) will work very well, just cut to the shape of the panel ~ 1-2cm width.

Fixing air leaks plays a big part in getting it 'horny' . Enjoy !

Thankyou for your tip. I have sealed the back chamber with neoprene rubber gasket which I had bought for sealing the doors/window gaps.

Thanks..
No problem buddy, will make it to next weekend as I will be busy with new year celeb / party. Anyways give me a ring on friday evening.

No issues bro...I'm right here and I'm sure even the sub is not in a hurry to go anywhere...can wait till the next weekend :licklips:

The sub is completed except the final finish which will be done after I complete all the tests. Anyways, I really like this sub and more than happy with the performance. The o/p is so clean, deep, punchy and crisp (fast with quick decay), even those who dont like a sub sound will also like it, the best sub sound I have ever heard. I had listened to SVS PC12 / Definitive Technology 15" Trinity Signature supercubes / Velodyne 15" Digital Drive series (if I remember correctly) before, but none of them were sounding so clean and powerful like this.

The sound of horn sub is entirely different than the conventional designs. Among them supercube was similar in performance, but for the clean bass, horn is way ahead. I am using 240w Dayton plate amp (wrt the design this is an overkill, a 100w is more than enough), but it was sounding like a >1000w powered sub. I have corner loaded it (18" as per the design). Dont think that I am exaggerating, just writing my observations so that others can get inspired to make horn subs, its well worth the effort.

Y'day I saw the movies 2012 and transformer II (not even HD audio, both were in DTS only), oh man, the gun shots and the rumbling scenes were feeling so powerful that I could feel the impact on my whole body. Everything in the room were vibrating and I was running around to fix the vibrations by putting some weight on top of the vibrating elements as a temporary solution. I havent measured using test tones, will do it later once i settle down with my initial marathon of movie watching..:), but I can say it really goes below 20Hz range and probably in the 15-17Hz range also with authority due to the room gain (16'x12'). One thing I really noticed is the way it fills and pressurize the room and syncs with the main speakers, not at all a localized sound. The SVS PC12 was giving a feeling of bass coming from the sub's location.

Testing setup:
HTPC
Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Pro
FL/FR : Quad 909 Power Amp powering ATC SCM 40s (crossed @75Hz)
Center : Onkyo 606 AVR powering SpaceAudioInc TWR6 (crossed @80Hz)

Last edited:
Hi Sajith,

How did you acquire these drivers? Online or offline? Any addresses/contact numbers will help. How big a hole did these burn in your pocket? I'm looking for the same drivers.

The sub is completed except the final finish which will be done after I complete all the tests. Anyways, I really like this sub and more than happy with the performance. The o/p is so clean, deep, punchy and crisp (fast with quick decay), even those who dont like a sub sound will also like it, the best sub sound I have ever heard. I had listened to SVS PC12 / Definitive Technology 15" Trinity Signature supercubes / Velodyne 15" Digital Drive series (if I remember correctly) before, but none of them were sounding so clean and powerful like this.

The sound of horn sub is entirely different than the conventional designs. Among them supercube was similar in performance, but for the clean bass, horn is way ahead. I am using 240w Dayton plate amp (wrt the design this is an overkill, a 100w is more than enough), but it was sounding like a >1000w powered sub. I have corner loaded it (18" as per the design). Dont think that I am exaggerating, just writing my observations so that others can get inspired to make horn subs, its well worth the effort.

Y'day I saw the movies 2012 and transformer II (not even HD audio, both were in DTS only), oh man, the gun shots and the rumbling scenes were feeling so powerful that I could feel the impact on my whole body. Everything in the room were vibrating and I was running around to fix the vibrations by putting some weight on top of the vibrating elements as a temporary solution. I havent measured using test tones, will do it later once i settle down with my initial marathon of movie watching..:), but I can say it really goes below 20Hz range and probably in the 15-17Hz range also with authority due to the room gain (16'x12'). One thing I really noticed is the way it fills and pressurize the room and syncs with the main speakers, not at all a localized sound. The SVS PC12 was giving a feeling of bass coming from the sub's location.

Testing setup:
HTPC
Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Pro
FL/FR : Quad 909 Power Amp powering ATC SCM 40s (crossed @75Hz)
Center : Onkyo 606 AVR powering SpaceAudioInc TWR6 (crossed @80Hz)

great work,truly impressive:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: ,i am interested in u r project,can i get u r mobile number please

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back