Do bookshelf speakers need a stand?

gobble

Hi
I was planning to place them on the floor because I thought thats where they belong. Now I just read something about stands for bookshelf speakers ... How about a cardboard base for the speakers instead? :)

Regards

Gobble, you cannot place speakers on the floor unless you are ready to lie on the floor and listen to music.

Speakers, whether floor standers or bookshelves, have to be at a height where your ears will be when you are sitting on a listening sofa or couch. Roughly this works out to 3 to 3.5 feet above the ground for the top of the speakers. Some speakers have special brackets which allow them to be mounted on the wall.

Bookshelves have to be placed on heavy stands to avoid vibration. Vibration creates resonance and this in turn creates noise. Cardboard boxes will not work as they will sag.

Cheers

Wall mount them if that's an option. Saves on space too and keeps them safe and out of the way of kids and also gives a proper surround sound experience.

No two ways about it. If you want proper imaging, depth and control you have to place them on stands. Check with manufacturer's specification for distance from rear and side walls and experiment

If your book shelves have ports on the rear you need atleast 1m distance from rear wall

It is quite economical, simple and interesting to make a stand yourself.

It is quite economical, simple and interesting to make a stand yourself.
Any links to design diagrams (with measurements) of DIY stands? I am talking wood not wrought iron. Gunmetal steel finish with sand in hollow is another option. If someone knows a local craftsman who can do this for reasonable price, do let me know.

a DIY effort I am afraid may look ugly in the house.

I just remembered seeing a wood cutting shop in Thippasandra by-lane with sophisticated cutter tools - he specializes in making shapes and curves for custom designs. I could give it a shot ... but I need a design to start with.

TIA

Roughly this works out to 3 to 3.5 feet above the ground for the top of the speakers.

Bookshelves have to be placed on heavy stands to avoid vibration. Vibration creates resonance and this in turn creates noise. Cardboard boxes will not work as they will sag.

I was thinking just a plain cardboard sheet, not a box. Yeah I remember the speakers my dad had mounted for the setup I grew up with were at roughly this height.

Did you mean the top of the speaker has to be at 3.5 ft? That means the base will have to start somewhere at 2ft ... right?

TIA

Please see if this helps.

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/1461-av-rack-chennai-3.html

I undertook this project about 4 years back and the stands are quite old. You can get very good results cosmetically, functionally and acoustically if you spend quality time on the project and explore various options for the parts used

The other option is this
The TNT Akropolis stands

my friend uses this and it looks really cool and being made of granite (you can also get marble ones) it is extremely dampening and cuts all vibrations from reaching speakers. Advantages are its weather proof, looks cool, child proof and if you get bored move it to the garden and place a plant on it!

Did you mean the top of the speaker has to be at 3.5 ft? That means the base will have to start somewhere at 2ft ... right?
TIA

Generally the top most driver, which in most cases is a tweeter, should be at the same level as your ears.

Cheers

I was thinking just a plain cardboard sheet, not a box. Yeah I remember the speakers my dad had mounted for the setup I grew up with were at roughly this height.

TIA

Get in touch with MR Murthy in bangalore for stands. He has some inexpensive ones around 3.5 to 4k.
Number is 080-2558807
He has a shop in commercial street.

if your speakers dont have a rear facing port then you can mount shelves into the wall and put your speakers on them.

... or get wall mounting brackets. Google for some very nice and aesthetic ones.

But really, you won't know what your speakers are capable of till you get inert, well-damped stands.

Where do you guys get dry sand. Beach, construction site, ya buy at some place. The first two cases may not yield dry sand, is tat an issue?

Thanks cranky for explaining the second reason.

I have been reading about speaker stands and almost everybody seems convinced that stands are a must for bookshelf speakers.

Now, if i understand correctly the 2nd reason : Because 'shelf on the wall' has a firm support on one side (the wall), the other end which is farther from wall(even with angles etc.) won't have that much sturdiness and thus will make the speaker to physically move with vibrations... is that correct ?

Also, one question to all experts is :

what about 'an entertainment centre' (imagine a much longer -parellel to wall- TV stand ) which is :

* an independent (not fixed/attached to wall) sturdy unit with a flat surface long enough to accomodate 2 speakers with proper distance between them
* With the height such that when speakers are kept on it then they are at the right height..

will it serve the purpose or still speaker stands are necessary ? (no rear facing port in speakers)

The only diff. i see then is the more 'vacuum' around the speakers in case of stands, which will be restricted in case of such flat surface of entertainment center (or for that matter any such sturdy furniture unit).

(I agree though aesthetically (also) stands are better :) )

Last edited:
Thanks again cranky.

I am still in the process of research & auditioning... mostly will be going for bookshelf speakers.

hmm sigh .. now that speaker stand look inevitable, more legwork now for finding good speaker stands , or DIY, or GID (get it done - from the photo & specs :) )

I saw one offer on ebay india 2 weeks back - for around 4 K - but the pics were not too clear.

Please see if this helps.

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/1461-av-rack-chennai-3.html

I undertook this project about 4 years back and the stands are quite old. You can get very good results cosmetically, functionally and acoustically if you spend quality time on the project and explore various options for the parts used

Cool work. Who did the fitting/carpentry? How did you attach the PVC stand to the MDF shelf and base? Did you drill a circular hole and inset screws from (which) side?

TIA

Thanks!

I got the pieces cut at the place where i bought the MDF piece. The hole was drilled in a local switch cutting work-shop (the kind where they cut electrical switch boards) to the required dia (do not drill a through hole). Place the PVC in the cavity and fill it with epoxy (M-seal is a good choice). Do the same for the upper part and viola your stands are ready. Of course you need to paint the whole thing and fill the pipe with river sand.

Thanks!

I got the pieces cut at the place where i bought the MDF piece. The hole was drilled in a local switch cutting work-shop (the kind where they cut electrical switch boards) to the required dia (do not drill a through hole). Place the PVC in the cavity and fill it with epoxy (M-seal is a good choice). Do the same for the upper part and viola your stands are ready. Of course you need to paint the whole thing and fill the pipe with river sand.

Thanks. Will give it serious consideration. But let me procure the speakers first. Will update you on what I decide.

TIA

Cheers

Bookshelves are shorter and need to be at your ear height or pointed towards them when you sit. So if you end up using a stand on the wall, make sure they dont rattle when you play and also they point towards you. Have you tried looking at wall mount that you can fix to your wall that hold to the speakers.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back