Do Ladies like Hi-Fi ?

A good parallel of wasted energy is handbags.

I have never given more than 5 minutes thought to the bag that i carry. I just make sure it is black colour, has enough zips and a laptop pad and off i go.

I made this interesting journey with my wife to a new mall around Diwali for a handbag purchase (for her). Two bags were purchased over two precious weekends. We spent more money on petrol than on the handbag.

For each rupee spent, my wife ended up spending more time than i would on an audio gear (i have already spent fifteen months).

Better comparison still is when you try to buy that peach - lemon colour combination for the upholstery in the living room. I still havent figured out what this colour will look like.

I am sure there is a ladies handbag forum where women are breaking their head on why men dont get it. (There is a premium handbag rental business in Bombay).

Hi,

Well my wife does not mind the music i hear since it is several decibel less than what my son hears:D. Yes it is a fact women generally are not into HIFI music.
One of my colleagues is a very serious listener of carnatic music.I have been asking her to set up a 2.0 system which will enrich her listening experience.(she can very well afford it).But i am yet to succeed. She hears all her music thro her crappy computer speakers.:rolleyes:

cheers,
sri

Out of curiosity, IS THERE ANY FEMALE MEMBERS IN THIS FORUM???...

AFIK no lady member yet. The Moderator may chip in and correct me, if I am wrong.

I am about to begin my journey to Audiophile grade equipments. My wife is silently encouraging me. I share with her my euphoria while selecting any speaker / amp . And I am lucky, she is absolutely supportive. But she is not ready to accompany me for an audition.

In my case its quite the opposite or everyone can think that she adapted to my needs and passion for HiFi. I remember that when I wanted to upgrade my entire speakers package she cooperated with me and went for auditions but then again she could not make out the difference between good and bad atleat then. But now its her most of the time who operates my gear as I only get the time on weekends to play with it whereas she uses my entire system with quite ease and even my 7 year old daughter is comfortable operating my system so in my case these 2 ladies in my life enjoy whatever is thrown at them but this should not be taken for granted and whenever she too demands for going for handback shopping or clothes then I have to accompany her at that very moment or I had it.:eek:hyeah:

speaker-purse.jpg

Maybe this will make them interested in hifi. :D a hifi shopping bag
Anyway we put too much restriction on children from their childhood like "boys dont do that", "girls cant do that" so it is obvious...

A good parallel of wasted energy is handbags.

I have never given more than 5 minutes thought to the bag that i carry. I just make sure it is black colour, has enough zips and a laptop pad and off i go.

I made this interesting journey with my wife to a new mall around Diwali for a handbag purchase (for her). Two bags were purchased over two precious weekends. We spent more money on petrol than on the handbag.

For each rupee spent, my wife ended up spending more time than i would on an audio gear (i have already spent fifteen months).

Better comparison still is when you try to buy that peach - lemon colour combination for the upholstery in the living room. I still havent figured out what this colour will look like.

I am sure there is a ladies handbag forum where women are breaking their head on why men dont get it. (There is a premium handbag rental business in Bombay).

Hahaha very well put! :lol:

Good piece of art by Hiten as well :licklips:

Cheers

In one word NO......to them its a waste of money.......my mother once recomended in buying a Philips 2 in 1 in place of a true hifi system because to her all sounds same :lol:

Wives will always prefer you invest the same money in Wi-Fi (pronounced Wifey:D) rather than equipment that does not even dry her hair or do other household chores :)

Cheers

their thoughts about hifi are same as our thoughts for jewelery.

regards

Hi, First of all, this post is not to offend any ladies in this forum (If any :D ). I have this doubt for a long time.

Everytime Iam planning to buy an A/V receiver, speaker, TV, Music system etc, I get stern looks from the ladies in the house.. :eek:hyeah:

Not to say that they don't enjoy it 'after' it is bought, but there is definite resistance in the begining.

Also, I have noticed complete lack of interest in the auditioning.. :sad: Apparently everything looks/sounds same to them. Or they have something better to do!

If given a choice, I can with much authority say they select the lowest cost one from the list and are pretty happy about it.. They have only one dilemma.. Whether to go for sony or not as it is costly ;) Also apparently all sony models look the same to them..

When querried, The answer was, Why are you looking inch by inch? The PQ/SQ doesn't matter in the long run.. Only reliability.. It is like when you bought the bike looking at mileage, Now do you not drive it because mileage decreased? :eek:

Do anyone else have the problem?? Are ladies 'like this only'? :rolleyes: Do you know ladies who think otherwise?

Fascinating subject, really! Thanks go to Blasto.

Due to infinite luck or chance or providence or a combination of all three, my wife actually likes Hifi. By that I refer to music coming out of Hifi. Not spending time discussing about it. In that she is not different from the norm.

However here is where I have been lucky - touchwood! She has accompanied me to many auditions - even ones that have stretched beyond the 2 hour mark. My present EPOS M12.2 speakers were a marriage anniversary gift from her! And occassionally I will be able to coax her to listen to a couple of different formats or a few variations in my setup equipment and share her thoughts as to any difference she perceived.

It helps of course that we shared a common interest and taste in music and knew each other pretty well from well before marriage!

Apart from my wife, I also know of another female friend who is very interested in Hifi equipment and happily and willingly spends time for auditions and discussions on the same. All in all, life is not too bad.

But I have no reservations in agreeing that these are exceptions and not the norm. Long may these exceptions last.

Killer topic. Ramanujam's handbag example was apt, although of course with Hi Fi we can talk about tangible benefits of better sound quality, whereas with the handbag (or with fancy watches or jewellery) it's mainly about aesthetics. Not that better sound quality is in any way a more laudable objective than better aesthetics, but that's how I convince myself :)

My wife like most other wives described here likes the music and doesn't care much about the system. She was sad to see the Audioengines go, but is pretty happy with the NAD-Usher combination and she listens to a fair bit of music on it, but she doesn't much care about the specifics of the equipment. But she doesn't like handbags or jewellery either.....go figure!

Nice topic, I wanted to start a thread about this myself.

In my case, below holds good:
a) Wifey is more interested in the music than how it sounds
b) For wifey, music is seen as entertainment, of course soap operas take precedence. For me music is not entertainment, it is relaxation, stress-buster, something unparalleled and undescribeable
c) Volume levels that I enjoy(frankly not very high) are uncomfortable and ear-deafening for her
d) For her anything more than an Ipod with headphones (Kingfisher headphones that came free:p) is a waste of money
e) According to her my Hi-Fi rig = too many wires, difficult to clean and a safety hazard for my 1 year old son. I jumped at the opportunity and built a dedicated listening room\Home Theater:D.
f) She refuses to audition any change in settings as they all sound the same

Off-topic??
Not sure if it helps, but I found solace in the fact that I was not alone after I read this interesting article called "Rules from the male side". The owner of the blog is a fellow HFV member - vinayaga. There are no solutions though. I was reading some of his DIY projects on his blog when I found this and everyone I shared this said, we should get a printout of this and stick it our homes. Check out the DIY projects too while you are there.

Women and technology don't go together. Period.

Some members may blast me for this, but seriously, I have experienced this on more than one occasion in several stores.

In terms of electronics and technology, women are more inclined towards buying items of utility for the house, viz. Refrigerator, Washing Machine, Water Purifier, etc than the "alleged" waste of money on hi-end equipment :) .

At times, I get an angry eye :mad: when the volume crosses a certain threshold (read "hearable limit for normal people") on my equipment. Hell, like srenjith, even I had to understate the price of my setup by almost 80% to avoid putting off my folks, else they would definitely have blasted me, "What ? Spent so much just to listen to that damned Rock Music ??" :p

speaker-purse.jpg

Maybe this will make them interested in hifi. :D a hifi shopping bag
Anyway we put too much restriction on children from their childhood like "boys dont do that", "girls cant do that" so it is obvious...

pretty hilarious hitensitapara!!!!! :eek:hyeah: maybe there's a market for those bags... here on the forum!

An interesting topic indeed. In general, its usually true that they may not be your best buddy when it comes to the world of boys toys.

But I have slightly different experience with my better half in this case. She cant live with out her blackberry nor can she part with her ipod/se530 for even a day. She shares my passion for this hobby and accompanies me as much as possible for my umpteen auditions. We love deliberating the merits of components and how they sound. She might not know the technicalities of what are being auditioned but I trust her laymen impression as a good listener (sometimes, we tend to ignore this simple fact:)) I often get carried away and pretend not to notice the number of zeros in the price tag. This is where she helps in anchoring me down and bringing to my senses! Listening to music over the weekend with wine has become more or less a tradition for us.

Regards.

whoah! sounds like a keeper!

An interesting topic indeed. In general, its usually true that they may not be your best buddy when it comes to the world of boys toys.

But I have slightly different experience with my better half in this case. She cant live with out her blackberry nor can she part with her ipod/se530 for even a day. She shares my passion for this hobby and accompanies me as much as possible for my umpteen auditions. We love deliberating the merits of components and how they sound. She might not know the technicalities of what are being auditioned but I trust her laymen impression as a good listener (sometimes, we tend to ignore this simple fact:)) I often get carried away and pretend not to notice the number of zeros in the price tag. This is where she helps in anchoring me down and bringing to my senses! Listening to music over the weekend with wine has become more or less a tradition for us.

Regards.

In general, its usually true that they may not be your best buddy when it comes to the world of boys toys.

How I wish I met a girl who is interested in Hifi Gadget, Play Station Multiplayer games, Driving long distances, LaZ-Boy recliners etc etc.. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I fail to understand how is loads of silk sarees costing 10k VFM when it is known during purchase time itself that it is hardly going to be used for 1-2 times in its whole life time. :mad: Particularly when she wears saree itself hardly 1-2 times a year!

Ha.. Well, good to know that Im not the only one here..

My Wife to be, and her parents all think I have lost it (so Does my neighbours :p ).
Reason, I got a 42 inch TV knowing well that our viewing distance is gonna be just 8-9 feet.

Now Im warming her up to a Onkyo/Yam HTiB. :)

+1 to Unleash, thats exactly how mine is. She enjoys music, brings that laymen perspective and ensures I dont over spend for whats not required.

But she does lack patience a little, I am waiting for select my Amp and Speakers but she wants them next week even if that means i spend 5k more :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back