Do Ladies like Hi-Fi ?

Hi
Friends
My experience is not different. When I approach her highness before buying any rig, she remains indifferent. But her cold eyes tell me that a storm is approaching. So I have decided not to tell her anything before buying any audio equipment.:D
Regards
Bhaskar

My wife likes the sound when its really good, she mostly makes out when a major component is changed or SQ suddenly improves by few notches. Lies usually don't work, she eventually finds out. So I keep it simple.

But on a serious note, I wish there are more and more Female audiophiles because...
1. They have naturally gifted ears, much easily make out differences.
2. They're way better than men in Mix 'N' Match stuff. Mixing X cables with Y equipment etc will be so easier.
3. They Shop Emotionally, buy stuff if they like it, unnecessarily don't waste time on further research. Good for the industry. Also Less jewelry or fabric shopping.
4. They'll have to keep quiet during the Listening hours, more peaceful homes!
5. Most of husband's audiophile purchases will be easily cleared.

Another technique is something which most of us use. We never say the real price. We purchase a 36k amplifier for 12k. But that is a bit risky. Something which happened to my friend can happen. He purchased a Kenwood midi system for 25k long back. When his wife asked him the price he said 10k. When her brother visited them, he liked the unit so much that he wanted one. After inquiring the price, he handed over 10k to his sister and asked her to tell my friend (her husband) to buy similar unit for him. My friend ....doomed.:p
My friend FM has found a better solution for this. He never says he bought it, instead loaned from X,Y Hyderabad audiophile friend for few days listening. Since the gears keep changing he just says the X audiophile friend took his gear back. So according to his wife's knowledge, nothing of his current gear belongs to him. Currently we're waiting for him to come back to town, so we can pick up our 'alleged' gear from his home

Guys keep it simple and honest. Half truths are very dicey.

On the topic, I grew up in a household where both mum and dad listened to music regularly.
Whatever the gear/dabba, music was a constant in the home.
The decade of 80s-90s saw a huge churn of audio equipment at home.
Mum would always appreciate what dad bought in terms of SQ.
But, when she eventually found out the finances/logistics, dad would sure get more than a earful.
Dad has settled down to a good stereo system; almost 20 years now.

I am a bit more cautious; don't really go for churn that much. My wife does appreciate good sounding gear.
Wife and mum did finance some of the gear in the house.
Says she cannot articulate stuff, but yeah she does have a better sense of sound and harmony.
Curiously, she'll see me fiddle with this and that, silently saying "nut case".
The family does enjoy the 2-ch and HT rigs thoroughly; when I am there to operate it.
She never asks me about cost until I do so. She gets the fact that I like spending on this hobby.
I repay by provisioning ease of use and now streaming capabilities.
All has to work out in the end.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am bit lucky in this regards. My wife is equally interested in music and like to listen music daily atlest half hour. She is very much impressed with Spotify due to sound quality , playlist and collection on songs. We always go together for audition of equipments. She certainly have better ears than me. She is always helpful in equipments purchases but insist on save and purchase instead of EMI option. She always insisted on disposal of old stuff before purchase of new stuff but I manage to keep few old things in my junk yard. In return , I always help her for Kaya skin care and Richfeel hair treatments ,no matter how much they cost ( but always less than my av expenses ).

Hi, First of all, this post is not to offend any ladies in this forum (If any :D ). I have this doubt for a long time.

Everytime Iam planning to buy an A/V receiver, speaker, TV, Music system etc, I get stern looks from the ladies in the house.. :eek:hyeah:

Not to say that they don't enjoy it 'after' it is bought, but there is definite resistance in the begining.

Also, I have noticed complete lack of interest in the auditioning.. :sad: Apparently everything looks/sounds same to them. Or they have something better to do!

If given a choice, I can with much authority say they select the lowest cost one from the list and are pretty happy about it.. They have only one dilemma.. Whether to go for sony or not as it is costly ;) Also apparently all sony models look the same to them..

When querried, The answer was, Why are you looking inch by inch? The PQ/SQ doesn't matter in the long run.. Only reliability.. It is like when you bought the bike looking at mileage, Now do you not drive it because mileage decreased? :eek:

Do anyone else have the problem?? Are ladies 'like this only'? :rolleyes: Do you know ladies who think otherwise?
Story of my Life

My take:

Audiophilia is an disorder of the lazies. Hence not the ladies. Have you seen a lazy lady ever? No lady I know has three-quarters of an hour to sit down and listen to an album.

:)
I can't say about listening to album, but don't they all sit down for a few hours watching movies ;)

Hi
Friends
My experience is not different. When I approach her highness before buying any rig, she remains indifferent. But her cold eyes tell me that a storm is approaching. So I have decided not to tell her anything before buying any audio equipment.:D
Regards
Bhaskar
I saw this t-shirt for sale on headphonezone :)

I think I share the same emotions, like most of FMs. Don't look at her eye after a new gear has come in. I usually instruct the purchasing party to ensure the delivery guy doesn't share or take out the bill when wife is around. Also I try to factor in some wife tax for each purchase , like a big item means a costly dinner or weekend outing pre booked. She is veg and I am non veg. Last dinner I took her out, I only ordered veg items and more wine for her.

I think I share the same emotions, like most of FMs. Don't look at her eye after a new gear has come in. I usually instruct the purchasing party to ensure the delivery guy doesn't share or take out the bill when wife is around. Also I try to factor in some wife tax for each purchase , like a big item means a costly dinner or weekend outing pre booked. She is veg and I am non veg. Last dinner I took her out, I only ordered veg items and more wine for her.
ha ha ha. mutual feeling.
So I am not alone. Good to know.

Well, it's a weekend and I'm jobless :D So it's time to revive our beloved thread! Glad to see that even Steve "Audiophilliac" Guttenberg shares the same plight :D

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back